The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen…

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)

by Stephen King

6,417123600 (3.44)1 / 156
Recently added byHank.K, Thalaba, mrsreadsbooks, Jerrybrandon, private library, kbaileytalbert, chronic, Jon_Hansen

English (117)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All (123)
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Stephen King's Grimm fairy tale of nine-year-old Trisha lost in the woods, failed to hold my interest despite that promising premise. The story meanders rather than propels forward. Trisha's words and inner thoughts often seemed far too knowing, advanced, and smart-alecky for a child that age in such a harrowing situation. This novel contains not nearly King's usual level of horror, blood, and gore, but as assuredly this still is a nighmarish tale, he does convey some appropriate sources of terror, such as marauding, bloodsucking mosquitos; and clouds of minges and noseeums delivering outsized bites.

Though not noted, I'd guess that King's inspiration for this story may have been the true-life survival adventure of twelve-year-old Donn Fendler, who in 1939 was separated from his family and was lost on Maine's Mount Katahdin until rescued nine days later (and sixteen pounds lighter). ( )
  ghr4 | Mar 16, 2017 |
I missed the greatness of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon the first time I read the book. Then, I decided to give the book another go since I hardly remembered the book. That was a wise move. Every step of the way of the book I was with Trisha as she tried to find her way back to civilization. I walked with her, I slept by her side, I suffered with her; I felt her pain when she was sick and hurt and I was with her the moments she listened to the radio, her only joy. She is only nine years old (tall for her age) lost in the woods, but what a tough cookie.

I loved this book! I loved how King can write a story so good that the reader is pulled into the story!
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
Trish McFarland, a nine-year-old girl goes hiking with her mother and brother. While these two are engaged in conversation, Trish leaves the trail and becomes hopelessly lost in the woods. The more she tries to find her way out, the more upset and injured she becomes. Meanwhile, there’s something or someone who keeps watching her. As Trish’s physical state deteriorates, she imagines (or was it really her imagination) that Tom Gordon is giving her hints for survival.

Not too much happens in The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Where’s the imaginative story I’ve come to expect from the author? This book was rather boring. I couldn’t wait for Trish to get out of the woods. That wasn’t from fear, but rather from the tedious story. It was neither funny nor frightening. I think the author can do better. I must add, though, that I liked the author’s postscript. As a matter of fact, I liked it better than the novel. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Jan 25, 2017 |
This was the first Stephen King novel I read and I picked it because it was his shortest. I've read several since then and this isn't his best work. I didn't think that girl would ever get out of the woods. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Like all of Stephen Kings book, it was very well written. That's why he's the master. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Right from the start you were pulling for Trisha to find her way out of the woods. The adventure she endured would have broke many of us, but the resilience of a child never ceases to amaze me. I gave this a 4 stars, if I could have, I would have said 4.5 stars. ( )
  stevealtier | Sep 23, 2016 |
As the narrator puts it: "The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted. She knew that now. She was only 9, but she knew it, and she thought she could accept it."

Thanks to King's gruesome imagination, you as a reader feel the sharpness of those teeth.

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for my son Owen, who ended up teaching me a lot more about the game of baseball than I ever taught him.
The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted.

The brochure promised a "moderate-to-difficult" six-mile hike on the Maine-New Hampshire branch of the Appalachian Trail, where nine-year-old Trisha McFarland was to spend Saturday with her older brother, Pete, and her recently divorced mother. When she wanders off to escape their constant bickering, then tries to catch up by attempting a shortcut through the woods, Trisha strays deeper into a wilderness full of peril and terror. Especially when night falls. Trisha has only her wits for navigation, only her ingenuity as defense against the elements, only her courage and faith to withstand her mounting fear. For solace she tunes her Walkman to broadcasts of Boston Red Sox games and tahe griity performances of her hero, number 36, relief pitcher Tom Gordon. And when her radio's reception begins to fade, Trisha imagines that Tom Gordon is with her - her key to surviving an enemy known only by the slaughtered animanls and mangled trees in its wake. (0-684-86762-1)

AR6.4, 10 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671042858, Mass Market Paperback)

With a convincing mix of youthful optimism and world-weary resignation, reader Anne Heche adds resonance to this unabridged recording. Heche is especially effective as the 9-year-old heroine, Trisha McFarland, who makes a fateful decision during an afternoon hike with her dysfunctional family. "The paths had forked in a 'Y.' She would simply walk across the gap and rejoin the main trail. Piece of cake. There was no chance of getting lost." As one might suspect, there is every chance she'll get lost--or worse--and taking the shortcut turns out to be a very bad choice indeed. At times Heche's reading may be too measured, but her narration is generally quite good and her steady portrayal of a young girl lost renders this tale all the more frightening. (Running time: 6.5 hours, 6 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:20 -0400)

When a 9-year-old girl becomes lost on a hike on the Appalachian Trail, she relies on her courage and faith, as she imagines her hero, baseball pitcher Tom Gordon, is with her.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,270,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible