HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
This site uses cookies to deliver our services, improve performance, for analytics, and (if not signed in) for advertising. By using LibraryThing you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your use of the site and services is subject to these policies and terms.
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen…
Loading...

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (1999)

by Stephen King

Other authors: See the other authors section.

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
7,073135818 (3.44)1 / 164
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (128)  German (5)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (135)
Showing 1-5 of 128 (next | show all)
I missed the greatness of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon the first time I read the book. Then, I decided to give the book another go since I hardly remembered the book. That was a wise move. Every step of the way of the book I was with Trisha as she tried to find her way back to civilization. I walked with her, I slept by her side, I suffered with her; I felt her pain when she was sick and hurt and I was with her the moments she listened to the radio, her only joy. She is only nine years old (tall for her age) lost in the woods, but what a tough cookie.

I loved this book! I loved how King can write a story so good that the reader is pulled into the story!
( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Trisha ist neun Jahre alt. Und sie verläuft sich im Wald. King nimmt uns in seinem Roman Das Mädchen mit auf Trishas Weg und schafft es, dass man sich auch als Erwachsener zur rechten Zeit angenehm gruselt. Dabei ist es nicht immer das Ding, das Trisha verfolgt, vor dem ich mich gefürchtet habe. Nein, es sind die Momente, in denen Trisha Entscheidungen fällt, bei denen ich mich frage, wie ich wohl selbst reagiert hätte. Hätte ich einfach so einen Fisch gefangen und roh gegessen? Hätte ich das Wasser aus dem Bach getrunken, ohne vorher mehrfach darüber nachzudenken, welche Krankheiten das auslösen könnte? Ich weiß es nicht.

Trisha mutierte vor meinen Augen vom unbeschwerten, aufgeweckten Mädchen zur alten Frau, die von Instinkten getrieben wird, die ihr Handeln bestimmen. Instinkte, die in jedem von uns tief verborgen schlummern. Neun Tage ist Trisha allein im Wald unterwegs. Sie wird von einem Wespenschwarm übel zugerichtet, holt sich einen Brechdurchfall vom Feinsten durch das nicht abgekochte Bachwasser, wandert durch einen Sumpf, an dessen Ende sie einen getöteten Weißhirsch in zwei Teilen findet. Sie wird krank, fiebert und fantasiert. Begleitet wird sie von Tom Gordon, ihrem Lieblingsbaseballspieler der Red Sox, der natürlich nicht da ist. Und immer wieder scheint sie etwas zu verfolgen und sie zu beobachten: Der Gott der Verirrten.

Es wird nie deutlich, wieviel von diesem Gott der Verirrten real oder einfach nur Trishas Einbildung ist. Für sie jedenfalls ist er real. Oder war es am Ende doch nur ein Bär? So richtig, kann man das als Leser nicht sagen, auch wenn die die Perspektive manchmal Trishas Sicht verlässt und von einem dritten Erzähler beschrieben wird. Existiert er also doch?

Bis zum Ende findet sich darauf keine Antwort. Hier kann wohl jeder Leser für sich selbst entscheiden, was echt ist.

Für mich ist das Buch faszinierend und spannend. Ich wiederhole mich, wenn ich sage, dass King Menschen schreiben kann. Der Gruselfaktor hier ergibt sich aus der Gesamtsituation. Sich im Wald zu verlaufen ist, so denke ich, für viele Menschen keine schöne Vorstellung. Ein Buch, nicht nur für Stephen King-Fans. ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is the story of a young girl who gets separated from her mom and brother in the forest. I enjoyed this book because it deals with family issues and shows what the main character is thinking about and overhearing. It also has fantasy aspects, as the main character hallucinates monsters and creatures while she is lost. It deals with battling your inner demons as well as outer demons in a time of peril. ( )
  kaitlynforney | Feb 20, 2019 |
To some people the woods can be a naturally scary place, full of many natural dangers. Now imagine that your Trisha McFarland, a 9 year-old (going on 10 and tall for her age) girl who has found herself lost in the woods along the Maine-New Hampshire trek of the Appellation Trail. She was just trying to avoid overhearing (yet another) argument between her older brother and her mother, now she is thrust into a fight for survival...not only for her life but also for her sanity. Her only companion is her Walkman cassette/radio which allows her to survive the woods by listening to her Red Sox hero Tom Gordon. This story is sure to grip you and pull you into the darkest reaches of the New England woodland, but you are sure to find the will to survive and see it through to the end of the game. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Feb 7, 2019 |
Slow story with some switching between perspectives. Also some issues with enough detail to know what author was talking about. ( )
  Preston.Kringle | Nov 23, 2018 |
Showing 1-5 of 128 (next | show all)
As the narrator puts it: "The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted. She knew that now. She was only 9, but she knew it, and she thought she could accept it."

Thanks to King's gruesome imagination, you as a reader feel the sharpness of those teeth.
 

» Add other authors (22 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
This is for my son Owen, who ended up teaching me a lot more about the game of baseball than I ever taught him.
First words
The world had teeth and it could bite you with them anytime it wanted.
Quotations
Last words
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language
Canonical DDC/MDS

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
The brochure promised a "moderate-to-difficult" six-mile hike on the Maine-New Hampshire branch of the Appalachian Trail, where nine-year-old Trisha McFarland was to spend Saturday with her older brother, Pete, and her recently divorced mother. When she wanders off to escape their constant bickering, then tries to catch up by attempting a shortcut through the woods, Trisha strays deeper into a wilderness full of peril and terror. Especially when night falls. Trisha has only her wits for navigation, only her ingenuity as defense against the elements, only her courage and faith to withstand her mounting fear. For solace she tunes her Walkman to broadcasts of Boston Red Sox games and tahe griity performances of her hero, number 36, relief pitcher Tom Gordon. And when her radio's reception begins to fade, Trisha imagines that Tom Gordon is with her - her key to surviving an enemy known only by the slaughtered animanls and mangled trees in its wake. (0-684-86762-1)

AR6.4, 10 pts.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671042858, Mass Market Paperback)

With a convincing mix of youthful optimism and world-weary resignation, reader Anne Heche adds resonance to this unabridged recording. Heche is especially effective as the 9-year-old heroine, Trisha McFarland, who makes a fateful decision during an afternoon hike with her dysfunctional family. "The paths had forked in a 'Y.' She would simply walk across the gap and rejoin the main trail. Piece of cake. There was no chance of getting lost." As one might suspect, there is every chance she'll get lost--or worse--and taking the shortcut turns out to be a very bad choice indeed. At times Heche's reading may be too measured, but her narration is generally quite good and her steady portrayal of a young girl lost renders this tale all the more frightening. (Running time: 6.5 hours, 6 cassettes) --George Laney

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:20 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

When a 9-year-old girl becomes lost on a hike on the Appalachian Trail, she relies on her courage and faith, as she imagines her hero, baseball pitcher Tom Gordon, is with her.

» see all 10 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.44)
0.5 4
1 78
1.5 17
2 212
2.5 36
3 542
3.5 128
4 566
4.5 43
5 283

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,631,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible