Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (1965)

by Dr. Seuss

The fox is talking to mr knox, about bricks, and chicks and other rhyming things. Mr knox asks the fox in socks to stop because he cant rhyme like that, so he tells him an easier rhyme about zue. Knox says thats not easy, he still cant ryhme like that. Mr knox says he hates this game, and fox rhymes some more. Knox keeps geting more and more frustrated about this game. Finally know rhymes back and puts him into a jar, and thanks fox for the game and leaves.
Personal reaction:
Dr. Seuss is a fun read for any age. I love the fun of it, and enjoy the rhymes.
Classroom extension:
1. the kids can make their own poems/ rhymes
2. Kids can draw their own animals in socks
  am925642 | Jul 19, 2015 |
This is a book you must read aloud! The first time you read it, don’t go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. The Fox describes everything with rhymes and as the story goes, Knox is periodically complaining of the difficulty of many tongue-twisters throughout the book. This is a delightful book read aloud with any child. Once your students have had some exploration time, have them begin to plan their own piece of writing. The sheet has four columns: nouns, verbs, adjectives, and other parts of speech. Another learning tool is have your students use the words in the Fox in Socks vocabulary list above, we created a word list for our puzzle makers. ( )
  Jihan0228 | Apr 12, 2015 |
Fox in Socks is a story about a fox who wears socks and aggravates Mr. Knox. This story begins with really calm by an introduction of Fox and Knox. The story escalades to exciting, rhyming, tongue twisting fun as fox challenges Mr. Knox to different games. Different characters are introduced to assist Mr. Knox in learning how to say the tongue twisters from fox. At the end of the story Mr. Knox is so frustrated with fox that he shoves fox in the battle bottle with the tweetle beetle bugs to escape the torment of the rhyming tongue twisting games.

Personal Reaction:
I read this contemporary fiction picture book to my son and he read some of the pages to me. The book is full of allegory. We laughed really hard because of the words we were saying. It was hilarious to have to try to read the sentences over and over again to try to get them right. I thought it was a great bedtime story to read to him until we started laughing.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) Rhyming while building words. Teacher uses a cookie sheet as a magnetic board to use magnetic letters to make new words. Teacher demonstrates how to use different letters added to a word chunk to make a new word. For example, -ocks… “clocks, socks, locks, blocks, rocks, docks.”
2.) Students can make shaker tweetle beetle battle bottles by using empty water bottles, uncooked rice, and mini toy assorted bugs. Students shake the bottles and pretend the bugs are battling.
  YolandaFelton | Mar 26, 2015 |
Kindergarten series, beginner reading books to use with other Kindergarten books
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
Read with Sarcasm please:
This book is a brilliant exploration of postmodern language. There is double meaning to every word. I imagined a fox in socks and my mind went wild. What does the Fox stand for? Why is he wearing socks? What do the socks represent? Notice the fox is nude and only wearing socks! Why is there a box? and what is up with Knox? Does Knox mean Fort Knox - Is this a critique of General Patton's strategies employed in World War II? And then there is chicks with bricks and blocks and clocks, and where are they coming from- a critique of Chinese Political policy with Nepal? Was Dr. Seuss commenting on how language often falls short of explaining anything? And the crow, is this a critique of Native American Crow Tribe, is he saying that the Crow Tribe was too slow in reacting to a modern world? Is he also saying that all of life is merely a game played by capitalists? HE also critiques the use of music to move the populace. They march when the band comes in... and what are they licking. His tongue is not made of rubber, a critique of deforestation and use of rubber trees and our over use of a natural resource. The book also examines global conflict between water between two like creatures. What is the reason for atomic proliferation? ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
As we mouth his refusals, we ourselves conform: we, readers of books aloud, have pronounced exactly the tongue-tying utterance that Knox declares himself unable, or unwilling, to say.
For Mitzi Long and Audrey Dimond of the Mt. Soledad Lingual Laboratories

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800389, Hardcover)

"This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Dr. Seuss gives fair warning to anyone brave enough to read along with the Fox in Socks, who likes to play tongue-twisting games with his friend Mr. Knox. "Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say.... New socks. Two socks. Whose socks? Sue's socks." But Mr. Fox Socks isn't about to let Knox off so easy. Soon Goo-Goose is choosing to chew chewy gluey blue goo, while tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle (in case you were wondering, that's called a "tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle"). Mr. Knox gets exasperated: "I can't blab such blibber blubber! My tongue isn't made of rubber." But he catches on to the game before it's all through. One of Seuss's best, this must-read-aloud classic is guaranteed to get many giggles out of readers young and old. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

A collection of tongue twisters that is "an amusing exercise for beginning readers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,754,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible