Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) (1965)

by Dr. Seuss

3,238None1,706 (4.16)32
animals (26) Beginner Books (23) Beginning Reader (20) children (102) children's (210) children's books (34) children's fiction (33) children's literature (41) classic (20) Dr. Seuss (268) easy reader (36) fantasy (15) fiction (156) foxes (64) H (15) hardcover (31) humor (33) illustrated (18) kids (28) own (18) picture book (140) poetry (53) read (29) rhyme (80) rhymes (23) rhyming (98) Seuss (121) socks (19) tongue twister (37) tongue twisters (64)

This is a hilarious book that can be really hard to read. The wording and rhyming in this book is a tongue twister. On the cover of the book it says, “This is a book you READ ALOUD to find out just how smart your tongue is. The first time you read it, don’t go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. He’ll try to get your tongue in trouble.” When reading the book the illustrations keep your attention and help you understand the silly rhymes you are reading in the book. Dr. Seuss has ridiculous characters for this book, just like all of his others. For example, the Goo- Goose chews goo, the tweetle beetles fight in a tweetle beetle battle and the poodle eats noodles. This book is engaging and will let children laugh along with the characters. There is really no main idea in this book, it is just a fun book for students to test their language skills and see if they can keep up with Dr. Seuss’ rhyming. ( )
  tsmith44 | Apr 10, 2014 |
This was the first Dr. Suess book I owned, and I therefore loved it more than all the others. I had most of it memorized at one point, and still tend to break into the Tweedle Beetle Battle bit now and then. ( )
  Snukes | Jun 14, 2013 |
On its own terms, as a young children's "beginning to read" book, this rates 5 stars.

I read it numerous times to my sons when they were little and it was always a firm favourite. Great for pre-readers, too, as the alliteration and rhymes make it eminently memorizable after a couple of reads, so the little ones know what's coming and can join in.

One of the many Dr Seuss books that give me a warm, nostalgic glow, remembering those happy story-times before bed. ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Mar 30, 2013 |
Pages: 63
Reading Level: 2.6

This tongue twisting tale about foxes, socks, ducks, Sue sewing, goo, and so much more was a challenge for even me to read! It is such a creative book that students will enjoy listening to. This book would be a great example to share with students when celebrating Dr. Seuss Day.
  TamaraBronson | Mar 14, 2013 |
This is a funny, and quite difficult, tongue twister that ca easily trick you up. Children think is is lots of fun to see how well and fast we can read this book with out making a mistake. It is a perfect book to practice rhyming words. It is silly and entertaining while making your brain work... Perfect for kindergarten. ( )
  KellyLPickett | Mar 10, 2013 |
As we mouth his refusals, we ourselves conform: we, readers of books aloud, have pronounced exactly the tongue-tying utterance that Knox declares himself unable, or unwilling, to say.

For Mitzi Long and Audrey Dimond of the Mt. Soledad Lingual Laboratories
Fox
Socks
Box
Knox

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800389, Hardcover)

"This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Dr. Seuss gives fair warning to anyone brave enough to read along with the Fox in Socks, who likes to play tongue-twisting games with his friend Mr. Knox. "Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say.... New socks. Two socks. Whose socks? Sue's socks." But Mr. Fox Socks isn't about to let Knox off so easy. Soon Goo-Goose is choosing to chew chewy gluey blue goo, while tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle (in case you were wondering, that's called a "tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle"). Mr. Knox gets exasperated: "I can't blab such blibber blubber! My tongue isn't made of rubber." But he catches on to the game before it's all through. One of Seuss's best, this must-read-aloud classic is guaranteed to get many giggles out of readers young and old. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:27 -0400)

A collection of tongue twisters that is "an amusing exercise for beginning readers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,449,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible