Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr.…

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R)) (original 1965; edition 1965)

by Dr. Seuss

Title:Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R))
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1965), Hardcover

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss (1965)

Recently added byBeammey, slontine, JoycieK, private library, BookEndsIntl, JaymiBowman, AR_bookbird, shaunaph

Summary: This book is great to read to children because it is funny and the words can be tricky to read. Fox and Knox are the main characters in the book. Fox tries to get Knox to say tongue twister rhymes, but Knox gets frustrated. Eventually in the end Knox learns his own tongue twister and shares it with fox by packing him in a bottle with tweedle bettles. Fox in Socks is a great book to teach children about repetition and rhyming words.

Personal Reaction:
When I read this book, I instantly added it to my list of Dr. Seuss books to read to my classroom. His books are great for any age group!

Classroom Extension Ideas: One way to have this book as a lesson would be to have the students make shaker tweetle beetle battle bottles by using empty water bottles, uncooked rice, and mini toy assorted bugs. Students shake the bottles and pretend the bugs are battling. ( )
  Lauryn1025 | Nov 18, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. One reason I likes this book was for the illustrations. They are light hearted and fun, which really matches the tone of the book well. Seeing the silly characters like Mr. Know and the fox in socks make the book fun to read. I also liked the books writing. It utilizes rhyming words and tongue twisters, which makes it a great choice for young readers, or bilingual readers that are learning to speak English. This books main idea is learning to read. ( )
  rking17 | Oct 15, 2015 |
The fox is talking to mr knox, about bricks, and chicks and other rhyming things. Mr knox asks the fox in socks to stop because he cant rhyme like that, so he tells him an easier rhyme about zue. Knox says thats not easy, he still cant ryhme like that. Mr knox says he hates this game, and fox rhymes some more. Knox keeps geting more and more frustrated about this game. Finally know rhymes back and puts him into a jar, and thanks fox for the game and leaves.
Personal reaction:
Dr. Seuss is a fun read for any age. I love the fun of it, and enjoy the rhymes.
Classroom extension:
1. the kids can make their own poems/ rhymes
2. Kids can draw their own animals in socks
  am925642 | Jul 19, 2015 |
This is a book you must read aloud! The first time you read it, don’t go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. The Fox describes everything with rhymes and as the story goes, Knox is periodically complaining of the difficulty of many tongue-twisters throughout the book. This is a delightful book read aloud with any child. Once your students have had some exploration time, have them begin to plan their own piece of writing. The sheet has four columns: nouns, verbs, adjectives, and other parts of speech. Another learning tool is have your students use the words in the Fox in Socks vocabulary list above, we created a word list for our puzzle makers. ( )
  Jihan0228 | Apr 12, 2015 |
Fox in Socks is a story about a fox who wears socks and aggravates Mr. Knox. This story begins with really calm by an introduction of Fox and Knox. The story escalades to exciting, rhyming, tongue twisting fun as fox challenges Mr. Knox to different games. Different characters are introduced to assist Mr. Knox in learning how to say the tongue twisters from fox. At the end of the story Mr. Knox is so frustrated with fox that he shoves fox in the battle bottle with the tweetle beetle bugs to escape the torment of the rhyming tongue twisting games.

Personal Reaction:
I read this contemporary fiction picture book to my son and he read some of the pages to me. The book is full of allegory. We laughed really hard because of the words we were saying. It was hilarious to have to try to read the sentences over and over again to try to get them right. I thought it was a great bedtime story to read to him until we started laughing.

Classroom Extension Ideas: 1.) Rhyming while building words. Teacher uses a cookie sheet as a magnetic board to use magnetic letters to make new words. Teacher demonstrates how to use different letters added to a word chunk to make a new word. For example, -ocks… “clocks, socks, locks, blocks, rocks, docks.”
2.) Students can make shaker tweetle beetle battle bottles by using empty water bottles, uncooked rice, and mini toy assorted bugs. Students shake the bottles and pretend the bugs are battling.
  YolandaFelton | Mar 26, 2015 |
As we mouth his refusals, we ourselves conform: we, readers of books aloud, have pronounced exactly the tongue-tying utterance that Knox declares himself unable, or unwilling, to say.

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Suesssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mitzi Long and Audrey Dimond of the Mt. Soledad Lingual Laboratories

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800389, Hardcover)

"This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Dr. Seuss gives fair warning to anyone brave enough to read along with the Fox in Socks, who likes to play tongue-twisting games with his friend Mr. Knox. "Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say.... New socks. Two socks. Whose socks? Sue's socks." But Mr. Fox Socks isn't about to let Knox off so easy. Soon Goo-Goose is choosing to chew chewy gluey blue goo, while tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle (in case you were wondering, that's called a "tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle"). Mr. Knox gets exasperated: "I can't blab such blibber blubber! My tongue isn't made of rubber." But he catches on to the game before it's all through. One of Seuss's best, this must-read-aloud classic is guaranteed to get many giggles out of readers young and old. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

A collection of tongue twisters that is "an amusing exercise for beginning readers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible