Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R)) by Dr.…

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R)) (original 1965; edition 1965)

by Dr. Seuss

Member:paugust
Title:Fox in Socks (Beginner Books(R))
Authors:Dr. Seuss
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (1965), Hardcover
Tags:Children's

Fox in Socks (Beginner Books) by Dr. Seuss (1965)

This book is a great and funny story! This is a silly story about a fox that comes in and creates craziness with a Knox. I enjoyed this book because of the repetition and rhyming. The entire book the Fox repeats a lot of silly words. He will first describe items, like fox, socks, box, Knox. He then uses these words again to talk about what he is doing with the items. He then goes on to change what he is doing with the items, all while still talking about the original four items and using minimal other words. I also enjoyed this book because of the rhyming. The entire book consists of rhyming the words that were repeated. The words that are rhyming are changed around so that they rhyme with different words. For example, Knox in box. Fox in socks. Knox on fox in socks in box. Trying to read all these rhyming words can easily turn into silly tongue twisters. I believe the main idea of this book is to help children begin to recognize rhyming words. ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Nov 1, 2016 |
Fox in socks is a wonderful book That I have enjoyed since childhood. The book doesn't have a tradition message found in most stories, but the message could just be that it is a silly book of tongue twisters that is fun to read. This book has many noteworthy qualities that make it stand out in the Dr. Suess collection. One of these qualities is the use of rhyming couplets to create Cleaver tongue twisters. An example being the titular fox wearing socks and standing on a box on top of Knox resulting in the quick twister "Fox in socks on box on Knox." Another great Quality is Dr.Seuss's pairing of illustrations with the text. He uses his illustrations to explain some of the nonsense words included in his books to prevent readers from becoming confused by made up words. An excellent example of this is the illustration of the tweetle beetles, an insect Seuss invented. ( )
  tbaker13 | Oct 5, 2016 |
Tongue twisters galore - read this straight through (no easy feat) with my preschool class. Whew! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
This book is a book of tongue twisters from a fox in socks to a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled wuddled fox in socks. This book can be used in a early elementary to introduce ending sounds, rhyme and the creation word families. ( )
  TiffanyA | Apr 21, 2016 |

I liked “Fox in Socks” for two reasons. First, I saw this book being read to a first grade class and they loved it. The teacher made the theme of the day “wacky socks”, so all the students had funky socks pulled over their pants and they really enjoyed this. They also thought it was funny to see the teacher trying to read quickly without messing up any of the tongue twisters. Second, I liked this book because it gives children the opportunity to explore Dr. Suess. I believe all of his books are so fun for children, and if children have the opportunity to read one or get one read to them, I believe it will open doors to an interest in literature. While I was observing this book, the teacher did an activity with shared reading, and the students repeated silly tongue twisters back after she read them the first time. The main idea of this book is presented through the different rhyming combinations that Fox presents Mr. Knox with. The book has one character who is peppy and another who is cranky, but it adds humor, which is entertaining for children. ( )
  aseipp1 | Mar 7, 2016 |
As we mouth his refusals, we ourselves conform: we, readers of books aloud, have pronounced exactly the tongue-tying utterance that Knox declares himself unable, or unwilling, to say.

Dr. Seussprimary authorall editionscalculated
Suesssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mitzi Long and Audrey Dimond of the Mt. Soledad Lingual Laboratories
Fox
Socks
Box
Knox

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800389, Hardcover)

"This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Dr. Seuss gives fair warning to anyone brave enough to read along with the Fox in Socks, who likes to play tongue-twisting games with his friend Mr. Knox. "Here's an easy game to play. Here's an easy thing to say.... New socks. Two socks. Whose socks? Sue's socks." But Mr. Fox Socks isn't about to let Knox off so easy. Soon Goo-Goose is choosing to chew chewy gluey blue goo, while tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle (in case you were wondering, that's called a "tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle"). Mr. Knox gets exasperated: "I can't blab such blibber blubber! My tongue isn't made of rubber." But he catches on to the game before it's all through. One of Seuss's best, this must-read-aloud classic is guaranteed to get many giggles out of readers young and old. (Ages 4 to 8) --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:21 -0400)

A collection of tongue twisters that is "an amusing exercise for beginning readers.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,689,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible