Fritz and the beautiful horses by Jan Brett

Fritz and the beautiful horses (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Jan Brett

Title:Fritz and the beautiful horses
Authors:Jan Brett
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 1981.
Collections:Your library, Children's, Mom's

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses by Jan Brett (1981)

Certainly a pretty book. I'm actually relieved it didn't have the busy border of Brett's more famous works - they do lend themselves to rereads, but I, personally, was glad to be able to see white space and a cleaner page.

I agree with Kathryn's assessment of the story 100%. Go 'like' it here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1044775968?book_show_action=false&page=1 ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I am a person who cannot draw a straight line even when using a ruler. Al the more reason why I appreciate the artistry of Jan Brett and her wonderfully illustrated books. Jan Brett is a prodigious author. Writing and illustrating is quite a natural process for her. As a small child she loved to pretend she could enter the world created in illustrated books she read. Now, as an adult, she travels to various places throughout the world and uses these special travels as a springboard for her ideas.

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses was her first illustrated book, and the ideas emanated from Salzburg, Austria.
Currently she has written more than 30 uniquely illustrated books. Each installment is eye candy, beautiful, luscious images leap from the pages. I always feel as though I am diving into a large pool of wonderment whenever I take the time to sit back and let the illustrations weave their magic.

I've read most of her books, and Fritz and the Beautiful Horses is my favorite. I'm drawn to this book, not only because I love carousel art, but I'm told that one of the things hardest to draw is a horse. If that is true, than Brett gets and A plus for her abilities.

In this tale, Fritz lives outside the walled in city. Inside the tall walls are lovely, beautiful horses. Decorated with intricatel trappings, Fritz stands by in awe whenever he sees the horses prance while holding a lovely lady on their back.

One day the horses must cross a body of water. Unable to do so because they are filled with fear, Fritz comes to the rescue. The moral of the story is that Fritz held inner qualities more valuable than all the gold on the stallions saddles. ( )
  Whisper1 | Mar 8, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because I have always liked horses, but this one was especially fun. I loved the illustrations which is part of the reason I picked the book up in the first place, and I really appreciate the fact that its main point is that we should not underestimate someone who looks different than us. This book is appropriate for kindergarten through third grade.
  Sarah.Lew | Apr 30, 2015 |
In a city known for it's beautiful horses, Fritz is an outcast. He is not beautiful, but he is also not fussy and doesn't leap and prance when ridden. When the city's children need help crossing the river, the pretty horses are too scared and Fritz comes to the rescue. ( )
  MelindaBoland | Mar 13, 2015 |
In a walled city where only the most beautiful horses were kept, Fritz a sure-footed pony was made to keep out, though fritz dreamed of carrying a child he was not beautiful enough. Though in the climax of the story Fritz proves beauty is only a shallow characteristic and he becomes valued by the towns people for being kind, gentle, courageous, and sure-footed. This is one of my favorite stories growing up, and will occasionally still read it, because it helped me understand beauty is only skin-deep and there are other characteristics to obtain that are more important to ones character. I recommend this book to everyone, but specifically children ages of 4-10 years old.
  KylieNelson | Apr 18, 2013 |
for my mother and father
Once there was a walled city known for its beautiful horses.

Fritz, a pony excluded from the group of beautiful horses within the walled city, becomes a hero when he rescues the children of the city.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible