The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley…

The Haunting of Hill House (1959)

by Shirley Jackson

5,2612811,261 (3.96)2 / 664
Recently added byrena75, EmmaHorning, xiaomarlo, dananas, Doriendl, private library, Feseven78, wilky27
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both have an unreliable narrator, which results in an ambiguous story.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (alalba)
    White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi (upstairsgirl, sturlington)
    upstairsgirl: Similar in premise, less subtle but more disturbing in execution.
    sturlington: Hill House clearly inspired White Is for Witching.
    The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (Copperskye, Jannes)
    Jannes: Not sure if it is a coincidence, but the two perhaps best ghost stories ever written are both by women, in a genre otherwise mostly dominated by men. Both are superb explorations of death, loss, fear, and all those other elementsthat make up the good supernatural tales.… (more)
    The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan (blacksylph)
    Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories by Roald Dahl (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Dahl's is the best collection of ghost stories available, and Jackson's is the best haunted house story of all time. I think they make a nice pair (as the bishop said to the chorus girl.)
    The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff (amyblue)
    Hell House by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired by The Haunting of Hill House.
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (blacksylph)
    blacksylph: The only haunted house story I've ever read that was scarier than this book.
    Wild Fell (A Ghost Story) by Michael Rowe (ShelfMonkey)
    The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker (andomck)
    andomck: Both are haunted house stories at their core
    Wish Her Safe at Home by Stephen Benatar (agmlll)
    Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix (andomck)
    Carrie by Stephen King (artturnerjr, akblanchard)
    artturnerjr: Clearly influenced by The Haunting of Hill House, as is much of King's work.
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann)
    Danse Macabre by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Look here for Stephen King's take on The Haunting of Hill House.
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (clif_hiker)
1950s (105)
Ghosts (65)

English (275)  Japanese (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (279)
Si sa che le case stregate mettono sempre paura e che sono un grande must del genere horror. E Shirley Jackson, rappresentante del genere, non si tira sicuramente indietro e crea questa interessante storia incentrata su Hill House, una casa lasciata in eredità al giovane Luke.
Protagonisti di questa avventura sono il professor Montague, un antropologo interessato ai fenomeni paranormali, Eleonora Vance, Theodora e Luke.
Questi, essendo stati testimoni di fenomeni paranormali nel passato, vengono chiamati dal professore per identificare e far venire allo scoperto le presenze sovrannaturali della casa.
Le relazioni personali e le relazioni con la casa si fonderanno in un vortice che coinvolgerà il ritmo sonno veglia. I rumori, le manifestazioni di voci e urla faranno impazzire i visitatori ma creeanno anche una sintonia unica con la casa.
Pensavo sinceramente di spaventarmi di più o di vivere più situazioni di ansia e suspance ma invece tutta la prima parte è molto romanzata e sembra quasi tutto solare e armonioso.
Ci sono stati solo pochi punti in cui ho sentito un po' di ansia crescere, forse perchè ho evitato di leggere di sera sola al buio della mia camera??? :) ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
Classic haunted house stuff--yet somehow totally unique. Any reader, and all of the main characters actually, should see the ending coming from at least a quarter-mile away; and Haunting of Hill House does not have the startling richness of Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle. But what a fun and genuinely haunting read. Maybe it was because I was fighting off a virus, but I woke several times in the night after reading this book too late into the night.

deeEhmm | Apr 3, 2019 |
This is a multi-read and is among my all-time favorites in American lit. It's Shirley Jackson at her best. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
A researcher of ghostly phenomena, Dr. Montague, invites a number of people to a purportedly haunted house (Hill House) in the countryside. Three others join him: Luke (the representative from the family who owns Hill House, and who will one day inherit it), Theodora (who may have telekinetic abilities), and Eleanor Vance (who was once associated with some poltergeist activity). Eleanor is the main character here, and we see their interactions with Hill House through her eyes as the small group are drawn into the ghost story.

This was a Halloween read for me this year, and I honestly didn't know much about the story. There's an excellent introduction written by Laura Miller in the version I read, but I soon realized it was full of spoilers and skipped over it. And while reading this it was at its scariest when I was able to sit and read uninterrupted - which unfortunately wasn't always the case, and much of my reading in the middle was a little here and a little there. Because of that, I don't think I got the full appreciation of this psychological ghost story - lots of things just didn't make sense, and I didn't realized a lot of what Eleanor said was actually lies. (I went back and re-read the introduction afterwards, and it clarified a lot of what had confused me.)

So, I think this book is actually better than it felt for me and I'll probably put it on my list for another year when I can devote my time a little more to it. ( )
  J.Green | Mar 15, 2019 |
Creepy setting, deliciously awful characters, deep if you want it to be, light if you don’t. ( )
  pdill8 | Mar 12, 2019 |

Miller, LauraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PhotonicaCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Leonard Brown
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more.
Journeys end in lovers meeting.
She could not remember ever being truly happy in her adult life; her years with her mother had been built up devotedly around small guilts and small reproaches, constant weariness, and unending despair. Without ever wanting to become reserved and shy, she had spent so long alone, with no one to love, that it was difficult for her to talk, even casually, to another person without self-consciousness and an awkward inability to find words. (chapter 1)
The house was vile. She shivered and thought, the words coming freely into her mind, Hill House is vile, it is diseased; get away from here at once. (chapter 1)
When they were silent for a moment the quiet weight of the house pressed down from all around them.
We have grown to trust blindly in our senses of balance and reason and I can see where the mind might fight wildly to preserve its own familiar stable patterns against all evidence that it was leaning sideways. (Dr. Montague, chapter 4)

Hill House is an eighty year-old mansion built by a man named Hugh Crain. The story concerns four main characters: Dr. John Montague, an investigator of the supernatural; two young women, Eleanor and Theodora; and a young man, Luke, the heir to Hill House, who is host to the others. Doctor Montague hopes to find scientific evidence of the existence of the supernatural. He rents Hill House for a summer and invites several people to stay there as his guests. Of these invitees, whom he has chosen because at one time or another they have all experienced paranormal events, only Eleanor and Theodora accept.

AR 6.3, 11 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143039989, Paperback)

Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has unnerved readers since its original publication in 1959. A tale of subtle, psychological terror, it has earned its place as one of the significant haunted house stories of the ages.

Eleanor Vance has always been a loner--shy, vulnerable, and bitterly resentful of the 11 years she lost while nursing her dying mother. "She had spent so long alone, with no one to love, that it was difficult for her to talk, even casually, to another person without self-consciousness and an awkward inability to find words." Eleanor has always sensed that one day something big would happen, and one day it does. She receives an unusual invitation from Dr. John Montague, a man fascinated by "supernatural manifestations." He organizes a ghost watch, inviting people who have been touched by otherworldly events. A paranormal incident from Eleanor's childhood qualifies her to be a part of Montague's bizarre study--along with headstrong Theodora, his assistant, and Luke, a well-to-do aristocrat. They meet at Hill House--a notorious estate in New England.

Hill House is a foreboding structure of towers, buttresses, Gothic spires, gargoyles, strange angles, and rooms within rooms--a place "without kindness, never meant to be lived in...."

Although Eleanor's initial reaction is to flee, the house has a mesmerizing effect, and she begins to feel a strange kind of bliss that entices her to stay. Eleanor is a magnet for the supernatural--she hears deathly wails, feels terrible chills, and sees ghostly apparitions. Once again she feels isolated and alone--neither Theo nor Luke attract so much eerie company. But the physical horror of Hill House is always subtle; more disturbing is the emotional torment Eleanor endures. Intense, literary, and harrowing, The Haunting of Hill House belongs in the same dark league as Henry James's classic ghost story, The Turn of the Screw. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:04 -0400)

The four visitors at Hill House-- some there for knowledge, others for adventure-- are unaware that the old mansion will soon choose one of them to make its own.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible