The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley…

The Haunting of Hill House (original 1959; edition 2006)

by Shirley Jackson

3,7781941,379 (3.98)1 / 530
Member:Porua
Title:The Haunting of Hill House
Authors:Shirley Jackson
Info:Penguin, 2006
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:books I don't own, books I've read, horror, classic, American, Hot Review

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959)

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (Nickelini)
    Nickelini: Both have an unreliable narrator, which results in an ambiguous story.
    The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (alalba)
    White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi (upstairsgirl)
    upstairsgirl: Similar in premise, less subtle but more disturbing in execution.
    The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill (coppers, Jannes)
    Jannes: Not sure if it is a coincidence, but the two perhaps best ghost stories ever written are both by women, in a genre otherwise mostly dominated by men. Both are superb explorations of death, loss, fear, and all those other elementsthat make up the good supernatural tales.… (more)
    House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (blacksylph)
    blacksylph: The only haunted house story I've ever read that was scarier than this book.
    The Red Tree by Caitlín R. Kiernan (blacksylph)
    Roald Dahl's Book of Ghost Stories by Roald Dahl (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: Dahl's is the best collection of ghost stories available, and Jackson's is the best haunted house story of all time. I think they make a nice pair (as the bishop said to the chorus girl.)
    The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff (amyblue)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (clif_hiker)
    Rooms by Lauren Oliver (sturlington)
    Wish Her Safe at Home by Stephen Benatar (agmlll)
    Hell House by Richard Matheson (sturlington)
    sturlington: Inspired by The Haunting of Hill House.
    Carrie by Stephen King (artturnerjr, akblanchard)
    artturnerjr: Clearly influenced by The Haunting of Hill House, as is much of King's work.
    akblanchard: Carrie White has much in common with Jackson's shy, bullied heroine Eleanor Vance.
    The Supernaturals by David L. Golemon (Scottneumann)
    Danse Macabre by Stephen King (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Look here for Stephen King's take on The Haunting of Hill House.
1950s (114)

English (190)  Japanese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (193)
A re-read... but I believe I first read it 25, maybe even 30 years ago, so it fell into the category of 'everything old is new again.'

Of course, this is the classic book the Shirley Jackson is most well known for, and a haunted house story which has set the benchmark for the genre.

A professor with an interest in the paranormal has heard rumors about Hill House - a remote mansion that's been shut up for years, in the wake of a family tragedy. In order to properly investigate the reputed phenomena of the house, the professor advertises for assistants who are known to have been associated with unexplained events in the past. The ones who respond are two women: the dramatic Theodora, and the more timid or withdrawn Eleanor. The heir to the family who currently owns the house, Luke, makes it a foursome.

Although the house is undeniably unfashionable and unpleasant, regardless of the professor's hopes, the general expectation is that the four will spend a few days playing cards and generally trying to stave off boredom. However, Eleanor is a more troubled person than is obvious to the casual observer. And there is something truly malefic in the house that responds to her presence with a dangerous synergy.

We see events through Eleanor's perspective, and only gradually come to realize how profoundly that perspective is affected by her wildly vacillating moods and how unreliable she might be. By the time those around her realize what the reader is beginning to understand, it may be too late.

A masterwork of horror; highly recommended for all fans of both the psychological and paranormal aspects of the genre. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
** spoiler alert ** Supernatural thrillers have certainly come a long way since Shirley Jackson penned this novel in 1959. I liked "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" much better. But Hill House is considered a classic of the genre, so who am I to dispute that. I've seen several movie versions of this story, and since they are far more dramatic than the book, I think the movies have influenced my expectations of the story. In the end, Eleanor simply crashes her car into a tree. Her spirit wasn't taken up to become a permanent resident of Hill House; she just crashes her car into a tree and that's the last we hear of her. A recent movie version of the story did a much better job. The book is very good at illustrating how a writer uses the omnipotent voice and merges it with the second person voice. At any rate, it took me a long time to read this book because I read it mostly at bedtime and not every single night. I think if it weren't for the 1960s version of the story, I wouldn't be able to imagine the creepiness of The Haunting of Hill House and its events. ( )
  WordMaven | Jan 31, 2016 |

"It is a rude shock to turn that corner and get a clear look at Hill House." I managed to spoil myself after two thirds of the book. I could have been quite content not remembering this film. However, something triggered the damn memory and the last third I spent waiting for familiar things to happen.

If I were to rate this book regarding the characters and how I liked them, the second part would get one fat zero. I spent a lot of time wishing I could slap one of them. I have to not loathe the characters I am reading about in order to enjoy the book. I can take it when there is one or two bad ones, or even just one or two good ones, but when all of them manage to be as despicable as they could, then I have a problem. I understand why this isn't a reason people dislike books. I accept it is just me. I hated every single one of them for various reasons later in the story. They were not like that when they arrived at Hill House. Their first conversations are pretty funny.

All that doesn't change the fact that it is well written story. I mean, the language is truly beautiful. So, I won't allow my hatred towards the characters ruin it.
The frightening thing is not openly shown. There are quite a few subtle moments that will make your hair at the back of your neck rise and you might feel the chill they felt at one moment or another. The first part of the book is simply a build-up for the things to come. You keep waiting for something to happen. That anticipation is almost as real as the characters.

I was so pleased to see that even though I've watched the film, the story managed to surprise me in the end. I prefer this ending. It is more sinister.

Compared to [b:Manchester House|7304371|Manchester House|Donald Allen Kirch|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1260496406s/7304371.jpg|8717624] and [b:Hell House|33547|Hell House|Richard Matheson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1384259876s/33547.jpg|804298], this one wins. These two are stories with monsters you can see and try to fight.
The most terrifying thing of Hill House is not so easily depicted. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Well, I liked the characters and the dialogue and how the author set up the tension of the house. But nothing really happens until page 127, and really, nothing really happens. I would be scared to be in that house, but...
Still, I LOVE Mrs. Dudley, so there you go! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is one of the best ghost stories I have ever read. The movie is scary too. If you like ghost stories, don't miss this one! ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |

Shirley Jacksonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Edelfeldt, IngerTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, LauraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Leonard Brown
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more.
Journeys end in lovers meeting.
She could not remember ever being truly happy in her adult life; her years with her mother had been built up devotedly around small guilts and small reproaches, constant weariness, and unending despair. Without ever wanting to become reserved and shy, she had spent so long alone, with no one to love, that it was difficult for her to talk, even casually, to another person without self-consciousness and an awkward inability to find words.
The house was vile. She shivered and thought, the words coming freely into her mind, Hill House is vile, it is diseased; get away from here at once.
When they were silent for a moment the quiet weight of the house pressed down from all around them.
We have grown to trust blindly in our senses of balance and reason...

Hill House is an eighty year-old mansion built by a man named Hugh Crain. The story concerns four main characters: Dr. John Montague, an investigator of the supernatural; two young women, Eleanor and Theodora; and a young man, Luke, the heir to Hill House, who is host to the others. Doctor Montague hopes to find scientific evidence of the existence of the supernatural. He rents Hill House for a summer and invites several people to stay there as his guests. Of these invitees, whom he has chosen because at one time or another they have all experienced paranormal events, only Eleanor and Theodora accept.

AR 6.3, 11 pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0143039989, Paperback)

Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House has unnerved readers since its original publication in 1959. A tale of subtle, psychological terror, it has earned its place as one of the significant haunted house stories of the ages.

Eleanor Vance has always been a loner--shy, vulnerable, and bitterly resentful of the 11 years she lost while nursing her dying mother. "She had spent so long alone, with no one to love, that it was difficult for her to talk, even casually, to another person without self-consciousness and an awkward inability to find words." Eleanor has always sensed that one day something big would happen, and one day it does. She receives an unusual invitation from Dr. John Montague, a man fascinated by "supernatural manifestations." He organizes a ghost watch, inviting people who have been touched by otherworldly events. A paranormal incident from Eleanor's childhood qualifies her to be a part of Montague's bizarre study--along with headstrong Theodora, his assistant, and Luke, a well-to-do aristocrat. They meet at Hill House--a notorious estate in New England.

Hill House is a foreboding structure of towers, buttresses, Gothic spires, gargoyles, strange angles, and rooms within rooms--a place "without kindness, never meant to be lived in...."

Although Eleanor's initial reaction is to flee, the house has a mesmerizing effect, and she begins to feel a strange kind of bliss that entices her to stay. Eleanor is a magnet for the supernatural--she hears deathly wails, feels terrible chills, and sees ghostly apparitions. Once again she feels isolated and alone--neither Theo nor Luke attract so much eerie company. But the physical horror of Hill House is always subtle; more disturbing is the emotional torment Eleanor endures. Intense, literary, and harrowing, The Haunting of Hill House belongs in the same dark league as Henry James's classic ghost story, The Turn of the Screw. --Naomi Gesinger

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:04 -0400)

The four visitors at Hill House-- some there for knowledge, others for adventure-- are unaware that the old mansion will soon choose one of them to make its own.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,180,451 books! | Top bar: Always visible