If You Give A Pig A Pancake by Laura…

If You Give A Pig A Pancake (1998)

by Laura Numeroff

Member:shenslee
Title:If You Give A Pig A Pancake
Authors:Laura Numeroff
Info:
Tags:September Stuffed animal Box12

If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Numeroff (1998)

Recently added byarielleb, bfritzlibrary, private library, SMLCAoffice, uuabq, fruechting, GoWolves, SydniG

This book it a good book fro students to see the circle written in the story and where the author will take them next. The students stay engaged in the story to see what will be next. ( )
  chretaylor | Apr 20, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about what all would take place if you just so happened to give a pig a pancake.

My Personal Reaction:
I thought this book was absolutely cute! I love cute little pigs and I love pancakes so it got me there, but I just really liked how random and crazy the story is. It makes me wonder how someone came up with the idea! Like how did this person associate a pig to a pancake and come up with all these things that would happen if you gave the pig the pancake and then it hit me. They were probably talking about their kid. This then made me think that this book could also be a good way for parents to show their children how being a parent can sometimes be.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could do a creative writing/ creative art assignment. Each student can pick any animal and rewrite/ make a collage of what their animal would do if they gave them food, however whatever animal they chose, they would have to pick a food that begins with the same letter and share their stories.

2. As a class, we could pick an animal (by vote) and we could each write something that would happen if we gave that animal food and make a collaborative story. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Mar 24, 2015 |
enjoyed reading this book for numerous reason. First, the whole concept of Laura Numeroff's books are catchy. All of her stories including this one take you in a full circle. I think the full circle of the story catches the readers attention well and makes you want to read more; it certainly did for me! For example, the pig wants pancakes and maple syrup to go with it and then at the end of the book, the pig wants maple syrup and then pancakes to go with it. Second, the illustrations in this book are well done. Pigs are my favorite animal and I loved turning each page to see the cute little pig drawn in various poses for what she was doing. For example, when the pig wants a bath from being sticky from all the maple syrup and pancakes, the author draws the pig happily splashing around in the water. The book shows how one thing can take you to a million other things and that's how life is. The main message of this book is showing the circle of everyday life. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Mar 24, 2015 |
Summary: If You Give a Pig a Pancake is a story about a little girl who gives a pig a pancake. The pig then needs syrup for her pancake to go with it, then she gets all sticky so she needs a bath. Each thing that they do leads to another and another and another. So this little pig has this little girl running around all day doing these things and they day ends just how they started. The pig had a pancake.

Personal Reaction:
This has been one of my favorite books. I remember reading it and looking at it when I was younger. Kids would love it, and would probably think that pigs eat pancakes after reading the book even though they don't.

Classroom Extensions:
1. You could talk about sequence of things and how one thing will lead to another and another.
2. You could talk about what pigs really do eat.
3. You could cut out all the different things that the pig and the little girl do and have the kids put it back in order.
  KristenLaSorsa | Mar 3, 2015 |
And the circular stories continue! Ms. Numeroff has hit it perfectly with an adorable pig! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |

Laura Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Once again, for Stephen -- F.B.
For Laura Geringer, with love and eternal gratitude -- L.N.
If you give a pig a pancake,

she'll want some syrup to go with it.

"If You Give a Pig a Pancake" is a story similar to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". It is a book that focuses on memorizaton, sequence, and fluency. The pig incessantly ask the little girl for more and more things. It is as if the pig can never be fully satisfied--"If you give a pig a pancake, he will ask for some syrup. If you give him some syrup, he will get all sticky and need a napkin.." Read and find out the other tasks and materials he asks for. The story is quite silly and children will have fun reading it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266864, Hardcover)

"If you give a pig a pancake, she'll want some syrup to go with it. You'll give her some of your favorite maple syrup. She'll probably get all sticky, so she'll want to take a bath." You get the idea. Baths lead to bubbles, bubbles lead to rubber ducks, rubber ducks lead to wanting a trip to the farm. If You Give a Pig a Pancake is a delightful exploration of the scenario "if you give an inch, they'll take a mile." But who could refuse the whims of this adorable piglet? Not us, and certainly not the pig's young caretaker. Parents will feel a familiar twinge as they witness the pig's increasingly elaborate demands, and kids will be delighted that the story circles back around to the original pancake. Laura Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond--well-loved creators of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Moose a Muffin--succeed again in concocting a marvelously skewed study of cause and effect that inevitably results in a riotous read-aloud. Your kids will ask for this book again and again, and you won't want to refuse. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:27 -0400)

One thing leads to another when you give a pig a pancake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,750,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible