If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura…

If You Give a Pig a Pancake (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Laura Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:stephanie006
Title:If You Give a Pig a Pancake
Authors:Laura Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages

If You Give a Pig a Pancake by Laura Numeroff (1998)

Recently added bykboesel, macy18, JBKlassLibrary, mindfulmamas, private library, okramsey, UCNS-CP, KDO, juniorhigh

It is a cute way to encourage children's memory and illustrate how things sometimes go in circles.
  bmm034 | Apr 30, 2015 |
If You Give a Pig a Pancake is a wonderful story that can be used to teach sequence. Students will enjoy this book and will lean to every word to see what happens next. ( )
  KRW15 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This book would be good to help the students to learn about prediction. They can try to figure out what will happen next in the story. ( )
  Kelsly93 | Apr 29, 2015 |
This book it a good book fro students to see the circle written in the story and where the author will take them next. The students stay engaged in the story to see what will be next. ( )
  chretaylor | Apr 20, 2015 |
Summary:
This book is about what all would take place if you just so happened to give a pig a pancake.

My Personal Reaction:
I thought this book was absolutely cute! I love cute little pigs and I love pancakes so it got me there, but I just really liked how random and crazy the story is. It makes me wonder how someone came up with the idea! Like how did this person associate a pig to a pancake and come up with all these things that would happen if you gave the pig the pancake and then it hit me. They were probably talking about their kid. This then made me think that this book could also be a good way for parents to show their children how being a parent can sometimes be.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We could do a creative writing/ creative art assignment. Each student can pick any animal and rewrite/ make a collage of what their animal would do if they gave them food, however whatever animal they chose, they would have to pick a food that begins with the same letter and share their stories.

2. As a class, we could pick an animal (by vote) and we could each write something that would happen if we gave that animal food and make a collaborative story. ( )
  JacquelynTorres | Mar 24, 2015 |

Laura Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Once again, for Stephen -- F.B.
For Laura Geringer, with love and eternal gratitude -- L.N.
If you give a pig a pancake,

she'll want some syrup to go with it.

"If You Give a Pig a Pancake" is a story similar to "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie". It is a book that focuses on memorizaton, sequence, and fluency. The pig incessantly ask the little girl for more and more things. It is as if the pig can never be fully satisfied--"If you give a pig a pancake, he will ask for some syrup. If you give him some syrup, he will get all sticky and need a napkin.." Read and find out the other tasks and materials he asks for. The story is quite silly and children will have fun reading it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060266864, Hardcover)

"If you give a pig a pancake, she'll want some syrup to go with it. You'll give her some of your favorite maple syrup. She'll probably get all sticky, so she'll want to take a bath." You get the idea. Baths lead to bubbles, bubbles lead to rubber ducks, rubber ducks lead to wanting a trip to the farm. If You Give a Pig a Pancake is a delightful exploration of the scenario "if you give an inch, they'll take a mile." But who could refuse the whims of this adorable piglet? Not us, and certainly not the pig's young caretaker. Parents will feel a familiar twinge as they witness the pig's increasingly elaborate demands, and kids will be delighted that the story circles back around to the original pancake. Laura Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond--well-loved creators of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie and If You Give a Moose a Muffin--succeed again in concocting a marvelously skewed study of cause and effect that inevitably results in a riotous read-aloud. Your kids will ask for this book again and again, and you won't want to refuse. (Ages 4 to 8) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:27 -0400)

One thing leads to another when you give a pig a pancake.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,228,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible