Jack of Fables: Americana v. 4 by Bill…

Jack of Fables: Americana v. 4 (edition 2009)

by Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges, Tony Akins

Info:Titan Books Ltd (2009), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Read but not owned
Tags:Comics, Fantasy, Fairy Tales

Jack of Fables Vol. 4: Americana by Bill Willingham

We find Jack and group of Fables tracking down the treasure that Humpty Dumpty told Jack about when they originally escaped from the Golden Boughs. They are joined by Hilary Page, who is my favorite of the Page sisters, perhaps because she is librarian. They discover a route to the fabled land of Americana, a land of American folk tales.

I enjoyed this episode and I liked that there was were a number of party members to follow as I prefer Jack in small doses. Babe the Blue Ox has emerged as a favorite character. Americana had lots of humor, lots of adventure and great artwork. I guess my only complaint would be that this volume was a little short. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 8, 2016 |
The last two Volumes of Jack of Fables didn't really impress me. The stories just seemed to fizzle out and end. Perhaps it is because I am comparing them to the original Fables volumes, but these episodes in the life of Jack seem to end hastily and not really go anywhere. It is like the poor sitcom version of Fables. Which is not to say that there isn't some brilliant stuff and real moments of hilarity, but it just isn't filling if you know what I mean. ( )
  gaveedra | Jan 8, 2016 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Oct 28, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

The first four chapters, which covers the majority of the book, concern the title story arc, "Americana". Jack and Gary now have Humpty and Raven accompanying them on their travels and Humpty has just told them about "Americana" another land of Fables where all the American Fables live. There is a secret horde of gold there and Humpty has a map to the treasure and knows how to get there. Jack's greed readily accepts the journey and off they go to make there fortune. Little do they know that Hilary Page has been studying her maps and finally found the way to Americana herself. Bringing Paul Bunyan and Babe, residents of this land, along with her she secretly takes off from Golden Boughs but it doesn't take long for the two groups to meet up with each other. Using a little blackmail, they are stuck together as a group.

This was just a real fun issue with some new Fables to meet, most just briefly. Most of the story is to simply enjoy the bickering dynamics between the group of characters and we get to know Humpty and Raven a lot better. I like Raven, on the surface he isn't really much better than Jack, but he has his spirit bird who goads him into doing the right things and he does actually have a sense of decency that Jack lacks. There is a story arc that does move the overall plot along, though, that starts when the gang drop by a town inhabited by zombies. The guy in charge here has ulterior motives, causes problems and will be integral to the continuing story line.

The final chapter of the volume is a postscript story that goes back to the days of the Golden Bough before Jack arrived and Gary tried to organize a performance of Hamlet, with himself as the star. This is a fun interlude that stars previously shown but never featured Alice along with Wicked John and it also shows us a completely different side of Gary we've never seen before. All in all a humorous issue that is mainly for entertainment value but does have a small overall story arc that introduces a new bad guy to the series. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 29, 2010 |
Couldn't put this one down. It reminded my why I really enjoyed the fables series. The re-casting of familiar faces and aspects of fables and legends is great.

Besides, Babe the Blue Ox makes up for many shortcomings. That and the wonderful spoofiness of the much beloved "Midsummer Night Dream" of the Sandman series.

Wonderful. ( )

Leialoha, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sturges, MatthewAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Willingham, Billmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Jack hits the road in search of a lost city of gold. Aided by his sidekicks Paul Bunyan, Humpty Dumpty, Gary the pathetic fallacy and the mysterious Hillary Page, Jack's in for the adventure of a lifetime! --publisher's website.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,896,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible