Mischief Becomes Her by Kasey Michaels

Mischief Becomes Her

by Kasey Michaels

This book is apparently the second in a series of three about three sisters. I missed the first one about the sister named Jolie who is apparently a big Hollywood star. Pretty sure where that came from so I probably won't bother reading that one. The girls father who was a retired cop was running a detective agency with the oldest sister Jade. She's the one the next book is about and I'm assuming that she'll be hooking up with her ex-husband that is currently living in the same house with her. Don't know that I'm really looking forward to that book, but I might look it up.

On to the story of Jessica who is the baby sister. What can I say? I loved this heroine. I think it's one of the few times I've truly identified with a character in a book. She speaks her mind and goes with her gut and does what makes her happy. I think maybe I could have a little crush on her if I didn't like boys. She's smart, funny, and just comfortable with who she is. The same goes with the hero Matt. He's quite a bit older (11 years I think) and it quickly becomes a joke between the two of them, ultimately leading to her regularly calling him Methusaleh. I'm sorry for those of you who don't get that joke. He's a detective on vacation who is helping her investigate the cases that her father was looking into when he died. According to the police and pretty much everyone outside the heroine and associates, her father Teddy killed the local mayoral candidates wife, then went home and shot himself in guilt. Well, obviously the family doesn't believe this so they are looking into things. They uncover that 3 of the cases Teddy was looking into may well have all been part of one big coverup involving the aforementioned mayoral candidate since one of the cases was a murder of a prostitute he paid for dental work on, and a baby left in a dumpster that may well have been his and the prostitutes. Also, she probably wasn't actually a prostitute, but I'm making that leap ahead of time. I am pissed about one thing though. Why do we have to take the storyline into another book? Are you that hard up getting people to buy your books? Frankly that is part of why I don't want to get the next one. The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to do so. Unless of course it comes free of charge or as part of my monthly books from Harlequin when it comes out. Yeah, shameless plug, but I'll read and review anything that comes to me free of charge. Oh hell, I read just about anything anyway. I read the damn nascar novel, didn't I?

Back to the story, sorry about the sidetrack. It happens all to frequently. I could have done with a bit more smut going on, but to be honest, the story was well written and there weren't any soft spots in it that left me longing for more. All in all I think it was a fairly well-balanced novel and even considering the genre, well thought out and executed. Just finish up the story in one damn book! Oh, and a bonus of pirates. Being a contemporary romance I didn't have much hope that there would be pirates. Well, my friends, (pretend I'm John McCain saying this and it's hilarious!) there were pirates. Not actual characters involved in the current story, but referencing Irish pirates that were the heart of Jade's husbands ancestors. The Beckets of Romney Marsh is the series that Ms. Michaels recently finished up about reformed pirates and all the adopted family members. Apparently it's being continued in this series a bit because the next book supposedly takes them to England searching for an Emerald treasure. Anyway, includes a bit of pirate so I've accounted for this in my rating.

I'm going to go ahead and give this 4 1/2 stars overall (Out of 5). It's rare that I would rate something this high without a major involvement of pirates, which should tell you how much I loved it. The rating is due to the balance of smut and plot as it was beautifully executed.

Quantity of smut: 3 stars
Quality of smut: 4 stars (Mainly due to the furtive up against the door, tearing off the clothes, rug burn scene. Yeah, it was good.)
Quality of overall plot: 4 stars
Overall Enjoyment: 5 stars
Quality of Hero: 4 star
Quality of Heroine: 5 stars
Quality of non-starring characters: 3 1/2 stars
Would I like to be this heroine: 6 stars (My rating scale, I can cheat if I want)
Would I like to do this hero: 5 stars
Inclusion of Pirates: 1/2 star
Inclusion of Scots: 1/8 star (Irish, so I'm counting it slightly)
  DuchessofHazard | Nov 29, 2015 |
My, my my. If you could only see the snarky grin on my face! I just finished "Mischief becomes her" by Kasey Michaels and it was a blast to read. I've been a fan of Michaels' stories for several years now, both contemporary and historical, so when I picked up the first 'Mischief' contemporary book and realized it had a connection to her 'Ainsley Beckett' historical series, I was psyched. This second book in the 'Mischief' series continues with tantalizing hints of an upcoming book that will cement the tie between the two series while providing a sexy contemporary reunion story. Now who can resist that? Not me.

Jessica is the second Sunshine daughter's story even though she's the baby. The first book "dial M for Mischief' was about Jolie Sunshine the movie star who ends up reunited with her first love after her father's death. Now Jessica takes main stage and she falls for an older cop, Matt, who isn't quite sure how their relationship got started, much less where it goes from here. There's a ton of great repartee and witty bantering back and forth between these two, so if you're looking for a 'hearts and flowers' romance, pass this one by.

The heat factor is fairly high without being explicit, but I'd still restrict reading for an adult or mature older teen. The mystery is intricate and even though you get a good feel for the 'bad guy' halfway through, the mystery that's solved isn't the one involving him (yet) so there are still surprises and plenty of sleuthing to do.

This series is very much a romantic mystery with tons of humor and I'm salivating for the next book "Mischief 24/7" which should be out April 2009. Until then, I'll nestle "Mischief becomes her" on my Kasey Michaels shelf and try to wait patiently. ( )
  jjmachshev | Nov 9, 2008 |

"Jessica Sunshine--bright, warm and downright deadly if one got too close. That's the lesson homicide detective Matt Denby learned the hard way when he teamed up with the youngest Sunshine sister. Sure, he wanted to help solve her father's murder. But being on the case--day and night--with the sultry TV reporter was driving him up the wall -- in more ways than one. Jessica steamed through life and into danger without regard. And Matt was hell-bent on protecting the vixen. But who was going to back him up once the blond bombshell turned her charms on him?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible