Mud City by Deborah Ellis

Mud City (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Deborah Ellis

Title:Mud City
Authors:Deborah Ellis
Info:Perfection Learning (2004), Hardcover
Collections:Junior High

Mud City by Deborah Ellis (2003)

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
I really like this book, I feel that I have a better understanding of Middle Eastern culture with reading this story. The suffering of the young girl really connected with me throughout the novel. When Shauzia was attempting to collect money, she was caught in a scam and this really broke my heart. I also really liked the author’s voice throughout the novel, I would read any of her work. The overall message is that hard work and determination will get you through any tough situation, such as the main characters in this story.
  achamb15 | May 13, 2015 |
I really loved this book. It was so eye opening. And I would recommend it to anyone!!! ( )
  Elliepoole | Feb 4, 2014 |
I really liked this book and I thought it was a fun book to read. ( )
  lizardferret | Oct 16, 2013 |
The third book in Deborah Ellis's much-heralded Breadwinner Trilogy, Mud City follows the story of fourteen-year-old Shauzia, whose friend Parvana's story is featured in The Breadwinner and Parvana's Journey. Restless and unhappy in the women's compound of an Afghani refugee camp, Shauzia disguises herself as boy and seeks employment in the Pakistani city of Peshawar. But after a brief incarceration and an unsuccessful sojourn with an American family, she finds herself back where she started, slowly realizing that for a refugee, there is no easy escape...

Although it offered some welcome insights into the difficulties faced by refugees, as well as the cultural misunderstandings that frequently occur between westerners and the people of Afghanistan/Pakistan, I did not find Mud City as powerful a reading experience as the previous two in the series. I am unsure whether this is owing to the slightly less traumatic nature of the events chronicled, to the high expectations generated by the excellence of the first two titles, or to the fact that Shauzia makes a less likable heroine than Parvana. However that may be, although I would not rate this as highly as the others, it is still a worthwhile read, particularly given the dearth of good reading material for young readers about that part of the world. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 3, 2013 |
So heart wrenching sad that kids grow up like this but Shauzia restores some of my faith in humanity.

I really loved this book - highly recommended. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |

Fourteen-year-old Shauzia dreams of seeing the ocean and eventually making a new life in France, but it is hard to reconcile that dream with the terrible conditions of the Afghan refugee camp where she lives. Making things worse is the camp’s leader, Mrs. Weera, whose demands on Shauzia make her need to escape all the more urgent. Her decision to leave necessitates Shauzia dress like a boy, as her friend Parvana did, to earn money to buy passage out. But her journey becomes a struggle to survive as she's forced to beg and pick through garbage, eventually landing in jail. An apparent rescue by a well-meaning American family gives her hope again, but will it last? And where will she end up? Mud City is the final book in the acclaimed trilogy that includes The Breadwinner (a best-seller) and Parvana's Journey. It paints a devastating portrait of life in refugee camps, where so many children around the world are trapped, some for their whole lives. But it also tells movingly of these kids' resourcefulness and strength, which help them survive these unimaginable circumstances.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:34 -0400)

This final book in the trilogy begun in "The Breadwinner" and "Parvana's Journey" paints a devastating portrait of life in refugee camps and shows the resourcefulness of children who endure great suffering there.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,951,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible