The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters

The Rose Rent (1986)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (13)

1,119147,372 (3.87)25

English (12)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (14)
I wish Cadfael was real and alive and my friend :) ( )
  RuthieD | Jun 14, 2014 |
A visit to any of the Cadfael books is a journey home. Even though they deal with death (and often other mysteries), they are peaceful, graceful and gentle. Ellis Peters did her research well enough that you truly enter another century. Her descriptions of everyday life take you there. The Rose Rent is no exception to either the accuracy or the gentleness of its brethren books. The plot is a bit different, but welcome. I love the Cadfael series, especially when Cadfael is left on his own to discover the secrets waiting for him, whether they are in his own abbey, or in the village beyond. I highly recommend the series, and The Rose Rent in particular. ( )
  maedb | Jun 12, 2014 |
Six-word review: Slight departure refreshes Cadfael narrative formula.

Extended review: There's a young woman, but she isn't a blue-eyed seventeen-year-old virgin with golden tresses. There's a man, but he isn't a dashing lad of twenty who's wrongfully accused of something and being hidden by Cadfael until his innocence can be shown.

There's a killing, but it isn't of a middle-aged merchant with few enough redeeming qualities and some secret tie to the fate of kingdoms. There's a mystery, but its solution doesn't hang on some special knowledge that only Cadfael has or on a single thread or hair tellingly caught on a doorpost or a riverbank shrub.

So although the setting and the continuing cast of characters are familiar and the story moves rapidly through a well-traveled arc, there's a feeling of novelty about this installment in the series.

And very well timed for me, too, since I picked this one up prematurely, needing a break from much heavier fare.

May the god of reading bless all cozy mysteries.

(Rating: 3½ stars; within genre: 4 stars)

1 vote Meredy | Mar 20, 2014 |
bookshelves: published-1986, film-only, historical-fiction, medieval5c-16c, catholic
Read from November 18 to 19, 2013

photo 689211_zps61542034.gif

TV series with Jacobi

Description: In honor of her husband, young, beautiful, and wealthy widow Judith Perle donates a house to the Abbey at Shrewsbury--for the annual rent of one white rose. Judith has no shortage of suitors, and if she remarries, her dowry would be all the greater if the house were returned due to non-payment of rent. So when a priest charged with delivering the rose is found murdered, and the rose bush is found hacked to pieces, Brother Cadfael finds he must root out a killer.

Excellent palate cleanser for the post Proust period. And I still have more episodes in my storage box *rubs handies* ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
Some twenty years ago I read the second book in this series and found it too mannered for my taste. I so disliked it that I steered clear of Ellis Peters until I picked this one of my pile. This time I enjoyed the period feel and found the characters richly delineated. The mystery had a satisfying complexity without feeling contrived and there is a satisfying distinction of place between the town, the abbey, and the hinterland. ( )
  TheoClarke | Aug 23, 2009 |

Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová-Menš… StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By reason of the prolonged cold, which lingered far into April, and had scarcely mellowed when the month of May began, everything came laggard and reluctant into that spring of 1142.

When Judith Perle's husband dies, the young widow bestows one of her properties - a house in the Monk's Foregate - on the Abbey of Shrewsbury. The only rent: a single white rose, to be delivered annually upon the day of translation of St Winifred.
But a beautiful woman with a substantial dowry must represent a target for would-be suitors. How much greater the dowry if the house should revert to her! Someone, it seems, will stop at nothing to prevent payment of the rose. In the summer of 1142 the rose is violently hacked down and lying beside it, equally brutally hacked, a murdered man is discovered.
To Brother Cadfael, as ever, falls the enquiry into this sensational crime of passion.

A young widow bestows a house on the local abbey in exchange for a single white rose to be delivered once annually. But someone is determined to stop the payment. In the summer of 1142, the rose is hacked down and a murdered man is left lying beside it.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,873 books! | Top bar: Always visible