The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters

The Rose Rent (1986)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (13)

1,065None7,842 (3.87)21

English (10)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (12)
Six-word review: Slight departure refreshes Cadfael narrative formula.

Extended review: There's a young woman, but she isn't a blue-eyed seventeen-year-old virgin with golden tresses. There's a man, but he isn't a dashing lad of twenty who's wrongfully accused of something and being hidden by Cadfael until his innocence can be shown.

There's a killing, but it isn't of a middle-aged merchant with few enough redeeming qualities and some secret tie to the fate of kingdoms. There's a mystery, but its solution doesn't hang on some special knowledge that only Cadfael has or on a single thread or hair tellingly caught on a doorpost or a riverbank shrub.

So although the setting and the continuing cast of characters are familiar and the story moves rapidly through a well-traveled arc, there's a feeling of novelty about this installment in the series.

And very well timed for me, too, since I picked this one up prematurely, needing a break from much heavier fare.

May the god of reading bless all cozy mysteries.

(Rating: 3½ stars; within genre: 4 stars)

Meredy | Mar 20, 2014 |
bookshelves: published-1986, film-only, historical-fiction, medieval5c-16c, catholic
Read from November 18 to 19, 2013

photo 689211_zps61542034.gif

TV series with Jacobi

Description: In honor of her husband, young, beautiful, and wealthy widow Judith Perle donates a house to the Abbey at Shrewsbury--for the annual rent of one white rose. Judith has no shortage of suitors, and if she remarries, her dowry would be all the greater if the house were returned due to non-payment of rent. So when a priest charged with delivering the rose is found murdered, and the rose bush is found hacked to pieces, Brother Cadfael finds he must root out a killer.

Excellent palate cleanser for the post Proust period. And I still have more episodes in my storage box *rubs handies* ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
Some twenty years ago I read the second book in this series and found it too mannered for my taste. I so disliked it that I steered clear of Ellis Peters until I picked this one of my pile. This time I enjoyed the period feel and found the characters richly delineated. The mystery had a satisfying complexity without feeling contrived and there is a satisfying distinction of place between the town, the abbey, and the hinterland. ( )
  TheoClarke | Aug 23, 2009 |
I got this from the "free books" box at the local library. I picked it up because I am a fan of the PBS series and I actively participate in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

I loved the descriptive narrative and the language. The story itself was a little uneven, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I did find myself wishing for more romance near the end. Oh well. ( )
  weebaby | Jul 11, 2009 |
What a delight to be drawn into the world of Brother Cadfael in the medieval town and Abbey of Shrewsbury, England. The author, Ellis Peters, is a medieval scholar, a master of the English language and a shrewd observer of character just like her worldly-wise, but now tonsured character, Brother Cadfael. This is the thirteenth in a series of mysteries surrounding the folk of Shrewsbury all of which are deftly solved by the herbalist and former Crusader, Brother Cadfael. There is always a touch of romance, an assurance of everyone in his proper place in society, reverence for those things Holy, and respect for men and women of honour and courage with a wide latitude of allowance for the weaknesses of humankind. Ellis Peter's characters speak with the cadences and words of the middle ages and are immensely likeable. ( )
  seoulful | May 25, 2009 |

Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová-Menš… StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By reason of the prolonged cold, which lingered far into April, and had scarcely mellowed when the month of May began, everything came laggard and reluctant into that spring of 1142.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

When Judith Perle's husband dies, the young widow bestows one of her properties - a house in the Monk's Foregate - on the Abbey of Shrewsbury. The only rent: a single white rose, to be delivered annually upon the day of translation of St Winifred.
But a beautiful woman with a substantial dowry must represent a target for would-be suitors. How much greater the dowry if the house should revert to her! Someone, it seems, will stop at nothing to prevent payment of the rose. In the summer of 1142 the rose is violently hacked down and lying beside it, equally brutally hacked, a murdered man is discovered.
To Brother Cadfael, as ever, falls the enquiry into this sensational crime of passion.

A young widow bestows a house on the local abbey in exchange for a single white rose to be delivered once annually. But someone is determined to stop the payment. In the summer of 1142, the rose is hacked down and a murdered man is left lying beside it.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible