The Rose Rent by Ellis Peters

The Rose Rent (1986)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Brother Cadfael (13)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (16)

Title: The Rose Rent
Series: Brother Cadfael #13
Author: Ellis Peters
Rating: 3 of 5 Stars
Genre: Mystery
Pages: 239
Format: Digital Edition

Synopsis:

A young widow, the owner of a well to do business, gave a house she owned to the Abby, on the condition that they pay a “rent” of one white rose on the anniversary of her husband's death. Should the rose not be delivered or the widow not be able to take it, the Abby forfeits the house and it reverts back to the widow.

She is pressed on all sides by suitors but when a young monk is killed and the rose bush burnt, things have moved into serious territory. Then when the widow disappears and another man shows up dead, Cadfael must solve what is going on before the widow ends up dead. Things have a happy ending when Cadfael solves the mystery and the widow ends up with the local leather worker who is a widower with a young daughter.

My Thoughts:

Not really much to say about these. First off, it's a Mystery and that's not my go-to genre so I'm pretty meh about it. Second, it is a Cadfael mystery, so there's a lot of just kind of hanging around while things happen. Being a monk really cramps his style.

There is a lot of descriptive stuff that I simply blew by. I just didn't care. I'm sure it set the tone but that was lost on me.

Cadfael is a literary palate cleanser for me. It is well written, I don't expect much and it delivers just enough to keep me happy. Kind of like those baskets of bread rolls at restuarants that you munch on before your food arrives.

★★★☆☆ ( )
1 vote BookstoogeLT | Jun 8, 2017 |
Re-read. Not my favorite of the series, but I still love the characters and the setting!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I wish Cadfael was real and alive and my friend :) ( )
  RuthieD | Jun 14, 2014 |
A visit to any of the Cadfael books is a journey home. Even though they deal with death (and often other mysteries), they are peaceful, graceful and gentle. Ellis Peters did her research well enough that you truly enter another century. Her descriptions of everyday life take you there. The Rose Rent is no exception to either the accuracy or the gentleness of its brethren books. The plot is a bit different, but welcome. I love the Cadfael series, especially when Cadfael is left on his own to discover the secrets waiting for him, whether they are in his own abbey, or in the village beyond. I highly recommend the series, and The Rose Rent in particular. ( )
  maedb | Jun 12, 2014 |
Six-word review: Slight departure refreshes Cadfael narrative formula.

Extended review: There's a young woman, but she isn't a blue-eyed seventeen-year-old virgin with golden tresses. There's a man, but he isn't a dashing lad of twenty who's wrongfully accused of something and being hidden by Cadfael until his innocence can be shown.

There's a killing, but it isn't of a middle-aged merchant with few enough redeeming qualities and some secret tie to the fate of kingdoms. There's a mystery, but its solution doesn't hang on some special knowledge that only Cadfael has or on a single thread or hair tellingly caught on a doorpost or a riverbank shrub.

So although the setting and the continuing cast of characters are familiar and the story moves rapidly through a well-traveled arc, there's a feeling of novelty about this installment in the series.

And very well timed for me, too, since I picked this one up prematurely, needing a break from much heavier fare.

May the god of reading bless all cozy mysteries.

(Rating: 3½ stars; within genre: 4 stars)

1 vote Meredy | Mar 20, 2014 |

Pelitti, ElsaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pošustová-Menš… StanislavaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorne, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By reason of the prolonged cold, which lingered far into April, and had scarcely mellowed when the month of May began, everything came laggard and reluctant into that spring of 1142.

When Judith Perle's husband dies, the young widow bestows one of her properties - a house in the Monk's Foregate - on the Abbey of Shrewsbury. The only rent: a single white rose, to be delivered annually upon the day of translation of St Winifred.
But a beautiful woman with a substantial dowry must represent a target for would-be suitors. How much greater the dowry if the house should revert to her! Someone, it seems, will stop at nothing to prevent payment of the rose. In the summer of 1142 the rose is violently hacked down and lying beside it, equally brutally hacked, a murdered man is discovered.
To Brother Cadfael, as ever, falls the enquiry into this sensational crime of passion.

A young widow bestows a house on the local abbey in exchange for a single white rose to be delivered once annually. But someone is determined to stop the payment. In the summer of 1142, the rose is hacked down and a murdered man is left lying beside it.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible