Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret…

Saint George and the Dragon (original 1984; edition 1984)

by Margaret Hodges, Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator)

Member:srhbth
Title:Saint George and the Dragon
Authors:Margaret Hodges
Other authors:Trina Schart Hyman (Illustrator)
Info:Little, Brown Young Readers (1984), Library Binding, 32 pages
Tags:fairy tales, british, england, favorite

Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges (1984)

Based off Spencer's "Faerie Queen", St. George is about a knight who is sent to do battle by order of the Faerie Queen. A dragon has wrecked havoc across her land and it is up to St. George to stop the beast. On the way, he meets many characters, such as Una, a princess who joins him in his travels. Once the dragon is found, George begins a long and deadly battle with the beast, but comes out on top. He weds Una and continues to fight for the Faerie Queen.

The illustrations in this book are honestly the best part of the book. If you don't look at the words, you can still tell what is going on just by looking at the pictures. The descriptive language is also useful in telling the story. It really shows how powerful the dragon is. It appeals to the senses. An action packed tale to keep the kids on the edges of their seats. ( )
  kvedros | Mar 12, 2018 |
the borders were by far the strongest part of this book. ( )
  Kesterbird | Mar 12, 2018 |
This artwork was really cool! The mini stories within the perimeter of the book and the frame that the shots were put in was really cool. I didn't find that the story was super long (relatively speaking) and took quite a while to read. That's, I guess, not a problem depending on who this is being read to. I just found it long.
  zepellet | Nov 18, 2017 |
This book is adaption of a old english folktale, being a Caldecott winner it's easy to see why. The illustrations are vivid, with the dragon almost jumping off the page, this book looks as exciting as the tale. I enjoyed each page of the book looks like it's own painting that you could easily find in a museum.
  Winston_Rivas | Aug 16, 2017 |
Illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman

This is a retelling from Edmund Spenser’s Faerie Queene, which recounts the legend of Saint George who slew the dragon which was terrorizing the country. It’s a wonderful tale of courage, dedication, and perseverance. George is pure of heart, generous of spirit, and brave beyond measure. A lovely fable.

Trina Schart Hyman was awarded the Caldecott Medal for excellence in illustration. Her paintings are rich and vibrant, and full of small details that support the storytelling. After I finished reading the story, I started again at the beginning just to pore over the pictures. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 4, 2017 |

Margaret Hodgesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hyman, Trina SchartIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Is an adaptation of

To Bob and Jan Hinman, in memory of a feast of feasts, the night of the reading, and of the George and Dragon puppets. --M.H.
To Hilary Knight, with love --T.S.H.
In the days when monsters and giants and fairy folk lived in Englans, a noble knight was riding across a plain.
But the knight told the king never to forget the poor people, and gave he rich gifts to them.

I have never read this myth before in any form. I loved the art, thinking that it really added to the story. I read Asian folktales to my seniors, and I would read this one to them to use an interpretation of myth and theme. What are we saying about gender roles? Also, Una prays and helps him through his quest, giving him the necessary means to win. Anyhow, George and Una go through the country side doing battle with a dragon until it is defeated, and they are married in the end.

This special new paperback edition of St. George and the Dragon commemorates the 25th Anniversary of the Caldecott Award-winning picture book. Hodges retells an exciting segment from Spenser's The Faerie Queene, in which the Red Cross Knight slays a dreadful dragon that has been terrorizing the countryside for years, bringing peace and joy back to the land. Featuring a fresh new cover design - with artwork that highlights the dragon adventure within - and distinctive embossed gold Caldecott Award sticker, this is the perfect way to introduce the classic tale to a whole new generation of readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:32 -0400)

Retells the segment from Spenser's The Faerie Queene, in which George, the Red Cross Knight, slays the dreadful dragon that has been terrorizing the countryside for years and brings peace and joy to the land.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible