Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

4,2091891,186 (4.27)20
Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

I absolutely adore this realistic fiction book. This is a realistic fiction because bats are real, and the actions in the book are things a bat legitimately does (such as fly and eat fruit, etc., however the personal story of the bat is most likely not accurate such as living with birds for a while. I really enjoyed this book because it explored the theme of belonging and being yourself and I think that that is always a good message for students. This book would be a good mentor book, and I would definitely use it in a variety of ways in my own classroom. I think this would be a better book for 2-4th graders. ( )
  sommerkirk | Nov 25, 2015 |
I love this book because of the personification of the bats and birds in the story. As a child, I was always drawn to this book because of how realistic the characters are. This book also has great illustrations and a great plot line. The moral of this story is to stay true to who you are and to be yourself. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 8, 2015 |
I really loved this book. It is so heart warming. I enjoyed reading how Stellaluna went from acting like a bird with her bird family to becoming who she really is and accepting who she is, a bat and she loved it. I also enjoyed the birds accepting Stellaluna into their family, but also being with her real family doesnt make her grow apart from her bird family but the fact that they will always be friends no matter what is the most important thing of all. The message of this story is that accepting who you are will truly lead to your happiness. Stellaluna accepted the fact that she was not a bird but a bat, but being different is okay and there's nothing wrong with that. ( )
  dvazqu2 | Oct 8, 2015 |
Stellaluna is a contemporary realistic fiction picture book that tells the story of a lost young bat that cannot find her way home. She is hanging with her mother one moment, and the next thing she knows, she is falling to the ground without her mother insight. She ends up living in a bird’s nest and learning how to live like a bird, however, she eventually feels lonely and misses her real home: her mother. Finally, she leaves the nest and stumbles upon her mother and some other bats. In the end, she found her way back to her mother safely without any trouble. In my opinion, I love the illustrations of this book and the idea, however, the plot is not very rich in value or content. A young bat is lost but finds her way back to her mother with no problem or lesson learned at all. The book is cute, but it does not really have a useful theme or big picture. It is more of a little adventure displayed through simple words and adorable illustrations. I probably would not include this book in my classroom or lesson planning. ( )
  EllieCoe | Oct 5, 2015 |
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon is one of my favorite children’s books. It tells the story of a baby bat who is tragically separated from her mother in a fight with an owl. She lands in a nest of baby birds and grows up with them, adopting the ways of a bird and not exploring her bat characteristics. The diction is easy to follow, with fairly easily vocabulary and fun onamonapea like “Aeee!” The pictures are beautiful, realistic, and calming and use mostly browns and blues. The best part of this story is the main idea that although species/people are different, they can still have a lot in common and be friends. While the birds and stellaluna discover their many differences, they are satisfied with their friendship and realize that is what is important. ( )
  cmarti50 | Oct 4, 2015 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,945,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible