Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

by JANELL CANNON

3,9201631,313 (4.28)20
Member:graystoneteacher
Title:Stellaluna
Authors:JANELL CANNON
Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

"Stellaluna" was a very imaginative and fun book to read; it is not every day you read a book about a bat who lives with and acts like a bird. Stellaluna is a bat who got seperated from her mother and fell into a birds nest; the mother bird took her in and raised her as her own, but Stellaluna had to act as a bird and not do normal bat things. For example, Stellaluna was sleeping upside down outside the birds nest and the other birds were curious so they did the same. The mother bird came home and was very unhappy so she told Stellaluna that she had to act like a bird, not a bat. This was also a good book because at the end it had an informational section on bats and the different kinds there are. The illustrations were very simple and straightforward. There is one illustration that shows the Momma bird feeding Stellaluna a grasshopper and it looked like a real picture out of an informational book. The overall message of this book is that it is okay to be friends with people (in this case birds and bats) who are significantly different than you, and that it is okay to be yourself even if others tell you otherwise. ( )
  bridgetmcnamara | Mar 2, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for three reasons. The big idea is to accept that everyone has differences and these differences are what make us special. The main character, Stellaluna, can easily be identified with by any child that has been told to act a certain way. The story teaches children that they should not have to hide who they really are. Also, the illustrations are adorable and realistic. ( )
  mzellh1 | Feb 25, 2015 |
I liked this book for several reasons. First, I liked the plot which was about a baby bat named Stellaluna, who was accidentally separated from his mother and ended up living with a family of birds. The mother bird took Stellaluna under her wing, feeding her and caring for her and even teaching her how to fly. While flying late one evening, Stellaluna is met by a group of bats and among them is Stallaluna's mother. Stellaluna quickly goes to tell the young birds that she has been living with and realizes that they are very different from each other. In the end, the birds and Stellaluna realize that it is alright that they are different, because they are friends no matter what. The plot is a great lesson for children to learn that even the most unlikely animals or people can become the best of friends and take care of one another.
Another reason I enjoyed this book are the illustrations. They are so soft and in beautiful shades of blues. The portrayal of the bats and birds reflect their gentle and caring character traits throughout the story. The pages and pictures are large and are an important part of understanding the story.
Finally, I enjoyed the imagery used in the text. For example, when Stellaluna was separated from her mother, the imagery and voice were strong and grabbed the reader. The text read, "On silent wings the powerful bird swooped down upon the bats. Dodging and shrieking, Mother Bat tried to escape, but the owl struck again and again, knocking Stellaluna into the air." This was pretty intense for a children's book, but wonderful nonetheless. ( )
  KristyPratt | Feb 23, 2015 |
In my opinion, this is a great book to read to children for a few reasons. The first being, the story pushes readers to think about tough issues such as bullying, and could broaden perspectives about cultural differences and accepting all. Stellaluna gets laughed at and bullied by other animals when they witness her acting like a bird, which makes Stellaluna feel very sad and alone. A great discussion about respecting others, no matter how different, could easily stem from this story. The birds stand up for Stellaluna and say “doesn't matter Stellaluna, we are friends.” I also liked this story because it had a lot of great non-fictional information within. For example, when Stellaluna had to eat from the mamma bird, she squealed “yuck!”, and exclaimed that she was used to eating fruits like mango's, apples, and berries, not worms and other creepy crawlers. The author also depicts clear differences and similarities between the animals sleeping patterns, kinds of shelters created to survive, and foods they eat. ( )
  sott3 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I enjoyed the language and the plot of this book. I loved the use of similes and metaphors throughout it. For example, when Stellaluna, gets separated from her mother, the author writes, "Her baby wings were as wimp and useless as wet paper." I enjoyed this quote as I read the book because it was a great way to explain that without her mother, she fell through the air hopelessly. Also, the plot of the book was filled with suspension. As I read the book, I continued to question what would happen next. One last thing that I enjoyed was the informational level of the book. After reading, I learned about a bat's diet, its lifestyle, and its vision. For example, I now know that bats eat fruit, that they hang by their feet to rest, and they can see in the dark. The overall message of the story was that no matter how different we all are, we can accept these differences and take advantage of the experiences. ( )
  aholli3 | Feb 14, 2015 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,788,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible