Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

Stellaluna is a contemporary realistic fiction picture book that tells the story of a lost young bat that cannot find her way home. She is hanging with her mother one moment, and the next thing she knows, she is falling to the ground without her mother insight. She ends up living in a bird’s nest and learning how to live like a bird, however, she eventually feels lonely and misses her real home: her mother. Finally, she leaves the nest and stumbles upon her mother and some other bats. In the end, she found her way back to her mother safely without any trouble. In my opinion, I love the illustrations of this book and the idea, however, the plot is not very rich in value or content. A young bat is lost but finds her way back to her mother with no problem or lesson learned at all. The book is cute, but it does not really have a useful theme or big picture. It is more of a little adventure displayed through simple words and adorable illustrations. I probably would not include this book in my classroom or lesson planning. ( )
  EllieCoe | Oct 5, 2015 |
Stellaluna by Janell Cannon is one of my favorite children’s books. It tells the story of a baby bat who is tragically separated from her mother in a fight with an owl. She lands in a nest of baby birds and grows up with them, adopting the ways of a bird and not exploring her bat characteristics. The diction is easy to follow, with fairly easily vocabulary and fun onamonapea like “Aeee!” The pictures are beautiful, realistic, and calming and use mostly browns and blues. The best part of this story is the main idea that although species/people are different, they can still have a lot in common and be friends. While the birds and stellaluna discover their many differences, they are satisfied with their friendship and realize that is what is important. ( )
  cmarti50 | Oct 4, 2015 |
At the end of the book there are bat notes. In this book a baby bat falls from her mother's grasp and falls into a birds nest where Stellaluna the baby bat learns how to be a bird. ( )
  A_Ozoglu | Sep 23, 2015 |
This book is an all time favorite. The book has a very strong plot line that is organized well. Each conflict is followed by a resolution. Stellaluna loses her mother at the beginning of the story, but she befriends a family of birds that take care of her. She then loses the family when they are out flying, but she runs into her mother who she had been separated from.
The characters are well-developed. The author demonstrates this by giving names to all the little birds that Stellaluna interacted with. It allows the reader to form a more personal connection with the characters.
Although the birds are different from Stellaluna, they become good friends and share their differences with pride. The moral of this story is thateven though we are different from each other, we can still be good friends.
  rpotte5 | Sep 17, 2015 |
In my opinion this is a good book. I liked this book for a few different reasons. One reason that I liked this book is that it had believable characters, such as Stellaluna, that the reader grows attached to. I also liked this book because I thought the illustrations enhanced the story. The beautiful pictures really helped to tell the story. Most importantly, I liked the book because I thought it had a good big idea that really pushed readers to gain a broader perspective about friendship. The big idea from this book was to celebrate friends, in ways friends are alike and especially how friends are different. For example, in the end of the book Stellaluna and the birds discuss how they are different and alike, but what matters most is that they are friends. This encourages readers to reflect on their own friendships and appreciate all of the many similarities and differences those friendships contain. ( )
  lmorte1 | Sep 16, 2015 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,780,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible