Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

by JANELL CANNON

Member:graystoneteacher
Title:Stellaluna
Authors:JANELL CANNON
Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

Stellaluna is a young bat who gets separated from her mother and goes to live with birds. Stellaluna has a hard time fitting in with her bird family and sets off on her own. Will she ever find a place where she fits it?
  kfh2 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Stellaluna is about a bat named Stellaluna who is separated from her mom and is raised by a mother bird under the condition that she will act like a bird. Stellaluna is not happy trying to act like a bird, but she doesn't have anyone else. However, one day a group of bats comes along and Stellaluna feels accepted and normal. She then tried to show the birds how to be bats, but they don't want to be bats. Despite their difference they remain friends and accept each other for who each of them is. ( )
  natalie.loy | Jun 2, 2014 |
Stellaluna's mom gets caught by an owl and Stellaluna ends up on a bird's nest. The momma bird accepts her as one of her own but only with the condition that she behaves like a bird as well. ( )
  tzarate | May 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book “Stellaluna” by Janell Cannon. I liked the detailed and realistic illustrations of both the bats and birds. Even though the story is fantasy the illustrations make the story feel more real. I also liked how the author used Stellaluna’s struggle to become part of the bird world including eating bugs and flying during the day to show the differences between birds and bats. I was surprised that Stellaluna was reunited with her mother and thought it was interesting that she relearned how to be a bat. I think the author’s big idea was to compare and contrast both birds and bats I thought that Stellaluna’s experiences did a great job of this. ( )
  awhite43 | Apr 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story because of its integration with animal studies and the underlying lessons of conformity and respect of differences. The book is about a baby bat that falls into a bird’s nest and starts to act like the birds do. I liked that the story integrates information about bats and birds comparing their sleep habits, food likes, and whether they fly during the day or night. Birds and bats are very different so I was interested in how a bat adapted to bird culture. I also liked how the story used animals to explain the idea of differences in friendship, and the concept of conformity and culture identity. The plot made the birds and bat stay friends even though they have little in common, showing that differences in culture do not change a friendship. The book also had the mother bird tell the bat that he must act like a bird if he is to live in her nest. Readers can relate to having to conform to a culture, or not sticking to the status quo. Overall, I thought this book was really cute and introduced a realistic situation in a fun way. ( )
  EmilySadler | Apr 15, 2014 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,546,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible