Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

by JANELL CANNON

4,2941971,150 (4.28)20
Member:graystoneteacher
Title:Stellaluna
Authors:JANELL CANNON
Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

Sarah Durkin
Professor Martens
EDUC417
16 February 2016
Reading Log Entry #4: Stellaluna by: Janell Cannon
Stellaluna is a children’s book that can be relatable to any student who tries to fit in and be a part of a group. I like this book because when Stellaluna was separated from her bat mother, the birds were very welcoming and thought of her as one of their own, despite their many differences. She would never hang upside down like normal bats and would eat worms and insects when she was hungry. In my opinion, creating friendships and an environment where students feel comfortable to try new things and be themselves is very important. Another reason I like this book is because it gives the readers an opportunity to understand ones own heritage and demonstrates that you do not have to conform to an abnormal way of life. Being able to be a part of a group and having friends is great, but not if you are changing yourself to try and fit in. In this case, Stellaluna had no choice until she was united with her mother again. I think the moral of this story is to get readers to appreciate differences in everyone and recognize that it is okay to have strengths and weaknesses that someone else may not have. ( )
  SarahDurkin | Feb 11, 2016 |
There are quite a few reasons why I like this book. The first reason I enjoyed the book Stellaluna is because of the story’s plot. The plot talks about making the best of a situation even though you are different, through skills like compromise. For example the author wrote “Stellaluna promised. She ate bugs without making faces. She slept in the bed at night. And she didn’t hang by her feet.” This was to help illustrate just how much compromise Stellaluna made. I also liked the book because it pushes students to think about broadening their perspectives of friendship. The best sentence to quote for evidence of this is “How can we be so different and feel so much alike?” mused Flitter. At this point in the text Stella, Pip, Flitter, and Flap are learning how to blend their differences so they all get to enjoy them together. The final reason I enjoyed this story was because of character development the author was able to create through his writing. I understood a lot about Stellalunas personality from the line “I will fly all day, Stellaluna told herself. Then no one will see how clumsy I am.” I inferred things like she never gives up, she is very positive, and she takes a creative outlook during times of trouble. The big message for this story is to accept each other’s differences and appreciate their individuality. ( )
  Rvealey | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a great children's book. It is beautifully illustrated. It is one of those books which is great for show and tell or to read to a group of kids in a classroom environment.

The print is big enough to allow the child to sound out the words. And the pictures keep up with the story. I highly recommend this book to any young reader.

DVerdecia | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book could be used for all different ages of elementary school. For younger students, this could be used to teach how people are different, but they can still get along. For older students, it can be incorporated into a science lesson. Students can learn what nocturnal means, and the different characteristics between birds and bats.
  TaylorWebb | Jan 25, 2016 |
Stellaluna is a story about a baby fruit bat and her mother. One day an owl attacked and stellaluna fell and landed in a birds nest. This is a story about Stellaluna adapting to the live of a bird while she is raised among them. This cute picture book is a great read aloud for K-3rd. ( )
  Ryanscheafer | Dec 20, 2015 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:40 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,144,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible