Stellaluna by JANELL CANNON

Stellaluna (original 1993; edition 1993)

by JANELL CANNON

Member:graystoneteacher
Title:Stellaluna
Authors:JANELL CANNON
Info:Harcourt Brace (1993), Edition: 4th edition, Paperback, 44 pages

Stellaluna by Janell Cannon (1993)

Summary:
Stellaluna is a cute story about a baby bat that falls from her mother’s arms after an owl attack. Stellaluna lands in a nest full of baby birds and is taken in and cared for by the mother bird. She grows up having to adapt to a birds way of life and therefore eats insects, sleeps at night and doesn’t hang upside down. Once the birds and Stellaluna are old enough, they jump out of the nest and learn to fly. One day they fly so far from home that Stellaluna loses her fellow bird friends and is once again left alone. A clan of bats finds her and wonders why she is hanging by her thumbs and not her feet. Stellaluna tells them that she was raised by birds and thought that what she was doing was the right thing to do. Then she finds out that one of the bats is her mother and they are reunited. Her mother is shocked to see that she escaped the owl and had to live with birds. Her mother and the other bats show her that she can eat fruit, hang by her feet, and fly at night. She then goes to visit her bird family and brings them back to meet her bat family. When she realizes how different birds are from bats, she doesn’t get discouraged because no matter what, they’re still her friends.

Comments (arguments/opinions):
Overall, I was quite surprised how cute this book actually was. I thought it was going to be a simple story about bats, but it ended up having a really adorable message about friendship and differences. I think the author did a really good job showing the differences between birds and bats while still being able to relate the information in a fantasy style story. I really liked how Stellaluna was raised by the birds and adapted to their way of life, before realizing that bats were different. I think that shows readers that having differences is normal in life, but that no matter what situation you are put into, that you can adapt to any environment. I also liked the ending of the story because even though Stellaluna realized that she was different from her bird friends, she knew that their differences wouldn't get in the way of them remaining friends. I thought it was humorous that the author threw in the parts where the birds tried hanging upside down with her and tried flying at night. I think these subtle but humorous parts of the story really make it fun and laughable for children. I also really enjoyed the illustrations and how precise they were with the details in the story. I also found it interesting that at the end of the book, the author added a section titled “Bat Notes.” I think this adds to further the reading and education on bats for the students. This small added section really emphasizes the educational use of this story. Overall, I think this story is a great children’s book because children can relate how bats and birds have differences just like people and that no matter what, we can still all be friends. ( )
  BrookeMattingly | Sep 16, 2014 |
Stellaluna is a young bat who gets separated from her mother and goes to live with birds. Stellaluna has a hard time fitting in with her bird family and sets off on her own. Will she ever find a place where she fits it?
  kfh2 | Jun 5, 2014 |
Stellaluna is about a bat named Stellaluna who is separated from her mom and is raised by a mother bird under the condition that she will act like a bird. Stellaluna is not happy trying to act like a bird, but she doesn't have anyone else. However, one day a group of bats comes along and Stellaluna feels accepted and normal. She then tried to show the birds how to be bats, but they don't want to be bats. Despite their difference they remain friends and accept each other for who each of them is. ( )
  natalie.loy | Jun 2, 2014 |
Stellaluna's mom gets caught by an owl and Stellaluna ends up on a bird's nest. The momma bird accepts her as one of her own but only with the condition that she behaves like a bird as well. ( )
  tzarate | May 6, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book “Stellaluna” by Janell Cannon. I liked the detailed and realistic illustrations of both the bats and birds. Even though the story is fantasy the illustrations make the story feel more real. I also liked how the author used Stellaluna’s struggle to become part of the bird world including eating bugs and flying during the day to show the differences between birds and bats. I was surprised that Stellaluna was reunited with her mother and thought it was interesting that she relearned how to be a bat. I think the author’s big idea was to compare and contrast both birds and bats I thought that Stellaluna’s experiences did a great job of this. ( )
  awhite43 | Apr 15, 2014 |
To Burton H. Cannon and Nancy A. Cannon With Love
In a warm and sultry forest far, far away, there once lived a mother fruit bat and her new baby.

AR 3.5, Pts 0.5

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152802177, Hardcover)

Baby bat Stellaluna's life is flitting along right on schedule--until an owl attacks her mother one night, knocking the bewildered batlet out of her mother's loving grasp. The tiny bat is lucky enough to land in a nest of baby birds, but her whole world has just turned upside down. Literally. Stellaluna's adoptive bird mom accepts her into her nest, but only on the condition that Stellaluna will act like a bird, not a bat. Soon Stellaluna has learned to behave like a good bird should--she quits hanging by her feet and starts eating bugs. But when she finally has an opportunity to show her bird siblings what life as a bat is like, all of them are confounded. "How can we be so different and feel so much alike?" one asks. "And how can we feel so different and be so much alike?" asks another. "I agree," Stellaluna responds. "But we're friends. And that's a fact." Anyone who has ever been asked to be someone they're not will understand the conflicts--and possibilities--Stellaluna faces. This gorgeously illustrated book is sure to be an all-time favorite with readers, whether they've left the nest or not. (Click to see a sample spread. Illustration from Stellaluna, © 1993 by Janell Cannon, reproduced by permission of Harcourt Brace & Company) (Ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:01 -0400)

After she falls headfirst into a bird's nest, a baby bat is raised like a bird until she is reunited with her mother.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,720,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible