Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

Bone Crossed

by Patricia Briggs

Series: World of the Marrok (7), Mercy Thompson (4)

English (135)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All (138)
The head of the local vampire enclave, Marsilia, finds out that Mercy killed not one vampires but two, and is now threatening her life and the lives of those she loves. As if Mercy didn't have enough to deal with, she has agreed to be Adam's (the local alpha werewolf) mate and is still dealing with panic attacks after a man raped her. Meanwhile, her old college roommate comes to her and says her house is being haunted - can Mercy help? Is this the perfect way to escape Marsilia while the werewolves deal with it, or is it all a clever ruse to get Mercy away from her friends?

I'm still enjoying these stories about Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson, mechanic, shapeshifter/coyote, and woman figuring out how to be independently herself in this world of vampires, werewolves, and Fae in the Tri-cities area of Washington State. I like that a heroine can be courageous and still have panic attacks. I like the world-building. It's starting to get even more violent and I find myself reading more of it rather than listening before bed (imagine the weird dreams...). This one had a couple of issues that made it not my favorite in the series. The main challenge for me was the way the deaf son of her college roommate was portrayed. Don't get me wrong, he's a strong and resilient character. But he can lipread unbelievably well, and his parents sign and talk at the same time (sometimes, amazingly, having two separate conversations?). I'm not a part of deaf culture per se, but have had enough exposure that I'm aware it's very unlikely to have that good lipreading unless you were deafened or hard of hearing later in life. It's much more likely that they would've communicated in writing. So that pulled me out of the story and annoyed me quite a bit. Still, Mercy's a strong heroine and I'll read more of her adventures. ( )
  bell7 | Oct 3, 2017 |
Vampire ghosts: the undead undead?

A few weeks earlier, Mercy killed one vampire too many, and now Marsilia and her vampire seethe have found out. Out of the blue pops her old out-of-state college friend with a ghost problem that she hopes Mercy can help with. What convenient timing.

It is refreshing to read a fantasy series that doesn't get bogged down in world building waffle. Aside from being written as though they are standalone novels - whilst being a continuing adventure - there isn't any fat on this lean series. And as the series has progressed it hasn't fallen into a rut, nor become formulaic. I'm already halfway through the next in the series and enjoying each Mercy Thompson outing as much as the first. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book even more during this re-read. This is definitely one of my all time favorite series and I honestly believe that everyone who hasn't read these books yet should run to the bookstore right away and buy them up. This is the fourth book in the Mercy Thompson series and it picks up right after the events of the previous book. It is really important that this series be read in order since some of the events are carried over from the previous book. I really had a lot of fun with this audiobook.

On major focus of this Adam and Mercy's relationship. They both really do care for each other and want to make things work. I like how carefully they are with each other. Mercy is a mess after the horrible events of the previous book and Adam is there for her. He really wants to help with her pain and if he could I am sure he would take it away.

The mystery in the story is centered around vampires. I like the vampires in this world so that works out well for me. The local vampires have painted crossed bones on the door at her garage and she decides it would be a good idea to get out of town for a bit. Her friend from college has a little problem with a ghost so Mercy goes to help...and runs into more than she bargained for. Stefan plays a large role in this book and really proved how much he cares for Mercy as well.

I love Lorelei King's narration of this series. I am amazed by how well she voices all of these characters and keeps things consistent from book to book. The emotional aspects of the story really come through during her narration. I was able to listen to this book for hours at a time largely due to her wonderful delivery of this story. Lorelei King is quickly becoming one of my favorite narrators.

I would highly recommend this series to other. This was my second time experiencing this book and I hope to read it again in the future. It is really that good. ( )
1 vote Carolesrandomlife | Apr 5, 2017 |
I was prepared to dislike this book, as the synopsis didn't sound all that interesting to me, but the author did an excellent job defying my expectations. I was dreading the whole aftermath of the last book, but found myself admiring the way she handled Mercy's recovery. I also dreaded the whole vampire-revenge storyline, but the plot-twist was excellent! I genuinely enjoyed the first 80% of the book. The part I liked the least was the end, which, I suppose, wasn't written to be liked. Ms. Briggs does evil well. However, she gets points for not dragging the ending out so very long and I liked the way everything wrapped up quickly and satisfyingly. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 20, 2016 |
Bone Crossed
4 Stars

Bone Crossed is a solid addition to the series and Patricia Briggs does an admirable job in dealing with the aftermath of events from the previous book. Nevertheless, several issues continue to rub me the wrong way. There is still an obvious lack of positively drawn female characters - Marsilia is evil, Aurelia is prejudiced and Amber is an idiot, Briggs' religious agenda has been toned down but still pops up every now and then, and Mercy is still not as kick-ass as she could be.

Mercy is an engaging character, however, Briggs attempts at reinforcing her resilience, courage and fortitude are constantly being undermined by situations in which Mercy appears submissive and weak. The most obvious examples are her interactions with Blackwood loss of free will, forced blood transfers - seriously? and the deus ex machina ending.

It is great to see Mercy and Adam take their relationship to the next level, and Adam is definitely one of my favorite heroes in the UF genre - he knows exactly what to say and when to say it *sigh*. That said, given the build up and anticipation, the much awaited sex scene leaves much to be desired.

On a more positive note, the plot is well developed and engrossing (although any resemblance between the blurb and the actual story is superficial at best). More details are revealed about the intricacies of vampire politics as Stefan's loyalties are put to the test, Mercy's abilities as a Walker are explained but there is probably still more to come in this area, and the villain is one of the creepiest in the series so far.

In sum, Briggs is a talented writer and her Mercy Thompson series is fun to read despite the problems outlined above. Finally, Lorelei King's narration is excellent and she is skilled at bringing the characters and events to life. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan, whimsical, musical friend of critters furred, scaled, and feathered
I stared at my reflection in the mirror.
I could feel his willingness to participate in my trial pressed against my backside.
And like the wolf he (Adam) was, he laved the wound in my soul, bandaging it with his care - and moved on to the next. He explored thoroughly, found each mental wound - and a few I didn't know I had - and replaced them with other ... better things

There was I thinking being a shifter had its upsides. Looks like I was wrong.

Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned - the hard way - why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires emigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity.

The undead queen is also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her own. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

Car mechanic/shapeshifter Mercy Thompson must protect her friends from vampire queen Marsilia's revenge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,648,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible