Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4) by…
Member:msbhaven
Title:Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (no date), Hardcover, 320 pages

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

English (112)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (115)
This book always strikes me as sort of a "time out" from the overall plot of the series. The plot is interesting, and Mercy is wonderful as always. Food as a theme caught my attention in this book. I have to do some research on it, but it seems to be a fairy tale trope, certainly food and the eating thereof is important from Greek Legend on down.

The definition of monstrosity is further blurred in this book. The Mercy series started out with werewolves as maybe monstrous and vampires as definitely monstrous and the fae as maybe monstrous. I have been pleased to see that become far more complex as the series progresses. ( )
  raselyem7 | Aug 30, 2014 |
I had about as much chance of taking out Marsilia as my cat Medea did of taking on a mountain lion. Maybe less.

I really love this series but after I read the previous book in the series I needed to concentrate on my ARCs and NetGalley books so I took a little break from it. The series stayed on my mind and when I finally felt able to start the series back up again I jumped at the chance. While I didn't like this installment as much as the previous (that one was by far my favorite of the series) I still enjoyed it and was happy to see that Mercy was able to heal a bit after what happened in the last book.

While Mercy is still struggling with what happened to her she has started the healing process and is stronger than she thinks she is. Adam is helping her with recovering and I just love seeing their relationship grow. I am a bit ticked off at Adam's pack because some of them are being so rude to Mercy (from what I've seen there is more of that to come and I am not looking forward to it).

There were basically two plot lines in this book. One of the plot lines wraps up about 70% of the way through and I had forgotten about the other plot so it took me a little while to get back into it. I have to say the plot with Amber was my least favorite of the two but I do understand why it was necessary.

I can't wait to continue reading this series. I just wish my Kindle would charge a little faster so that I could start the next one right now. ( )
  dpappas | Aug 25, 2014 |
I had forgotten what happened at the end of the last novel, so after a break of several months, I was upset to find Mercy a cringing victim instead of a badass mechanic. I almost quit very early on, but these books always reward.

The fear gets better, and Mercy learns how not to be afraid as the story winds itself up. And the story is a great one. I love these books for the neat trick of having more than one major plotline going on at once. In this one, it seems like the main story is the fact the vampires have turned on her and her vampire friend, and a convenient (but suspicious) escape presents itself when an old college friend comes to Mercy about a haunting. The threats reverse themselves by the end of the novel, however, and I loved the college friend storyline for keeping me guessing throughout. And the cleverness of the reversal in the vampire storyline.

Still a great series, despite my problems with Mercy early on in this novel. ( )
  ConnieJo | Aug 16, 2014 |
I'm almost done, but way too sleepy to keep reading now.. Night
  CAMMD | Aug 4, 2014 |
This series keeps me engaged and wanting to read more. As I read, it makes me want to improve my own writing.

Secondly, it's everything that Twilight should have been. I'm appalled that they made a bunch of movies about a no-personality weak female protagonist when they could have been making movies based on the Mercy Thompson series. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan, whimsical, musical friend of critters furred, scaled, and feathered
I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

There was I thinking being a shifter had its upsides. Looks like I was wrong.

Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned - the hard way - why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires emigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity.

The undead queen is also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her own. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

Car mechanic/shapeshifter Mercy Thompson must protect her friends from vampire queen Marsilia's revenge.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,648,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible