Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4) by…

Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:msbhaven
Title:Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (no date), Hardcover, 320 pages

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

English (133)  Dutch (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (137)
Love this series! Mercy spends the majority of this book dealing with the fall out from the prior book, plus some of the vampire subplot comes to a conclusion. I love that Mercy doesn't magically get over her experiences, but she also doesn't spend the book hiding under the bed and she does move on with her life. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 16, 2016 |
Damn good. Had a hard time putting it down. So I didn't. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
4.5 stars

I wasn't impressed by at least half of the third book, Iron Kissed, partly due to heavy emphasis of the fae world. Even so, the end was huge. So big to follow up without failure. Thankfully Briggs pulls it off without failing. The Result? This is the best book yet!

The main selling point is there is more emphasis on the polluted, convoluted, twisted world of the vampires. Not to say that the fae are completely absent and hiding in the woodwork - not at all. The story of what they were fighting and trying to dissolve was actually two separate stories in a way, both interesting. There were light, fun moments too, abut also the book led to a realistic continuation of the tragic events of the last book.

I love how Adam helped Mercy with healing and recovery. So touching. Very fast paced book but emotional downtime was never AT ALL boring. Stefan made me care even more about him and I loved the twists. I enjoyed the change in his relationship with Mercy, and the public showdown/vampire moment in the room made me hold my breath. We even get to see a 'Bran moment' in person, which was awesome. The bad guy was truly twisted but a pleasure to read about. Mercy certainly has her hands tied with that unusual situation.

I can read Briggs improving as the books progress with layers of power-struggle finesse and structured world building. Besides the creative story, this one was just filled with emotion for so many at every turn. The walking stick? Random. Wonder what the story will ultimately deal out with that?

If you dug the first three, it'd be mental deprivation not to read this one too. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Bone Crossed
4 Stars

Bone Crossed is a solid addition to the series and Patricia Briggs does an admirable job in dealing with the aftermath of events from the previous book. Nevertheless, several issues continue to rub me the wrong way. There is still an obvious lack of positively drawn female characters - Marsilia is evil, Aurelia is prejudiced and Amber is an idiot, Briggs' religious agenda has been toned down but still pops up every now and then, and Mercy is still not as kick-ass as she could be.

Mercy is an engaging character, however, Briggs attempts at reinforcing her resilience, courage and fortitude are constantly being undermined by situations in which Mercy appears submissive and weak. The most obvious examples are her interactions with Blackwood loss of free will, forced blood transfers - seriously? and the deus ex machina ending.

It is great to see Mercy and Adam take their relationship to the next level, and Adam is definitely one of my favorite heroes in the UF genre - he knows exactly what to say and when to say it *sigh*. That said, given the build up and anticipation, the much awaited sex scene leaves much to be desired.

On a more positive note, the plot is well developed and engrossing (although any resemblance between the blurb and the actual story is superficial at best). More details are revealed about the intricacies of vampire politics as Stefan's loyalties are put to the test, Mercy's abilities as a Walker are explained but there is probably still more to come in this area, and the villain is one of the creepiest in the series so far.

In sum, Briggs is a talented writer and her Mercy Thompson series is fun to read despite the problems outlined above. Finally, Lorelei King's narration is excellent and she is skilled at bringing the characters and events to life. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Very interesting this book was. Questions were answered and left me wanting more. I hate what happened to Stefan. That's just wrong and I want Marsilia to pay dearly for what she has done. Blackwood would have been awesome if he hadn't been such an asshole. I am amazed by how quickly this series is moving along time wise. It works though. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan, whimsical, musical friend of critters furred, scaled, and feathered
I stared at my reflection in the mirror.
I could feel his willingness to participate in my trial pressed against my backside.
And like the wolf he (Adam) was, he laved the wound in my soul, bandaging it with his care - and moved on to the next. He explored thoroughly, found each mental wound - and a few I didn't know I had - and replaced them with other ... better things

There was I thinking being a shifter had its upsides. Looks like I was wrong.

Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned - the hard way - why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires emigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity.

The undead queen is also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her own. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

Car mechanic/shapeshifter Mercy Thompson must protect her friends from vampire queen Marsilia's revenge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,264,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible