Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4) by…

Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:msbhaven
Title:Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, Book 4)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace Hardcover (no date), Hardcover, 320 pages

Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

English (136)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All (139)
Vampire ghosts: the undead undead?

A few weeks earlier, Mercy killed one vampire too many, and now Marsilia and her vampire seethe have found out. Out of the blue pops her old out-of-state college friend with a ghost problem that she hopes Mercy can help with. What convenient timing.

It is refreshing to read a fantasy series that doesn't get bogged down in world building waffle. Aside from being written as though they are standalone novels - whilst being a continuing adventure - there isn't any fat on this lean series. And as the series has progressed it hasn't fallen into a rut, nor become formulaic. I'm already halfway through the next in the series and enjoying each Mercy Thompson outing as much as the first. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book even more during this re-read. This is definitely one of my all time favorite series and I honestly believe that everyone who hasn't read these books yet should run to the bookstore right away and buy them up. This is the fourth book in the Mercy Thompson series and it picks up right after the events of the previous book. It is really important that this series be read in order since some of the events are carried over from the previous book. I really had a lot of fun with this audiobook.

On major focus of this Adam and Mercy's relationship. They both really do care for each other and want to make things work. I like how carefully they are with each other. Mercy is a mess after the horrible events of the previous book and Adam is there for her. He really wants to help with her pain and if he could I am sure he would take it away.

The mystery in the story is centered around vampires. I like the vampires in this world so that works out well for me. The local vampires have painted crossed bones on the door at her garage and she decides it would be a good idea to get out of town for a bit. Her friend from college has a little problem with a ghost so Mercy goes to help...and runs into more than she bargained for. Stefan plays a large role in this book and really proved how much he cares for Mercy as well.

I love Lorelei King's narration of this series. I am amazed by how well she voices all of these characters and keeps things consistent from book to book. The emotional aspects of the story really come through during her narration. I was able to listen to this book for hours at a time largely due to her wonderful delivery of this story. Lorelei King is quickly becoming one of my favorite narrators.

I would highly recommend this series to other. This was my second time experiencing this book and I hope to read it again in the future. It is really that good. ( )
1 vote Carolesrandomlife | Apr 5, 2017 |
I was prepared to dislike this book, as the synopsis didn't sound all that interesting to me, but the author did an excellent job defying my expectations. I was dreading the whole aftermath of the last book, but found myself admiring the way she handled Mercy's recovery. I also dreaded the whole vampire-revenge storyline, but the plot-twist was excellent! I genuinely enjoyed the first 80% of the book. The part I liked the least was the end, which, I suppose, wasn't written to be liked. Ms. Briggs does evil well. However, she gets points for not dragging the ending out so very long and I liked the way everything wrapped up quickly and satisfyingly. I'm looking forward to reading more of this series. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 20, 2016 |
Bone Crossed
4 Stars

Bone Crossed is a solid addition to the series and Patricia Briggs does an admirable job in dealing with the aftermath of events from the previous book. Nevertheless, several issues continue to rub me the wrong way. There is still an obvious lack of positively drawn female characters - Marsilia is evil, Aurelia is prejudiced and Amber is an idiot, Briggs' religious agenda has been toned down but still pops up every now and then, and Mercy is still not as kick-ass as she could be.

Mercy is an engaging character, however, Briggs attempts at reinforcing her resilience, courage and fortitude are constantly being undermined by situations in which Mercy appears submissive and weak. The most obvious examples are her interactions with Blackwood loss of free will, forced blood transfers - seriously? and the deus ex machina ending.

It is great to see Mercy and Adam take their relationship to the next level, and Adam is definitely one of my favorite heroes in the UF genre - he knows exactly what to say and when to say it *sigh*. That said, given the build up and anticipation, the much awaited sex scene leaves much to be desired.

On a more positive note, the plot is well developed and engrossing (although any resemblance between the blurb and the actual story is superficial at best). More details are revealed about the intricacies of vampire politics as Stefan's loyalties are put to the test, Mercy's abilities as a Walker are explained but there is probably still more to come in this area, and the villain is one of the creepiest in the series so far.

In sum, Briggs is a talented writer and her Mercy Thompson series is fun to read despite the problems outlined above. Finally, Lorelei King's narration is excellent and she is skilled at bringing the characters and events to life. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Love this series! Mercy spends the majority of this book dealing with the fall out from the prior book, plus some of the vampire subplot comes to a conclusion. I love that Mercy doesn't magically get over her experiences, but she also doesn't spend the book hiding under the bed and she does move on with her life. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jul 16, 2016 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler, MichaelCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jordan, whimsical, musical friend of critters furred, scaled, and feathered
I stared at my reflection in the mirror.
I could feel his willingness to participate in my trial pressed against my backside.
And like the wolf he (Adam) was, he laved the wound in my soul, bandaging it with his care - and moved on to the next. He explored thoroughly, found each mental wound - and a few I didn't know I had - and replaced them with other ... better things

There was I thinking being a shifter had its upsides. Looks like I was wrong.

Car mechanic and sometime shapeshifter Mercy Thompson has learned - the hard way - why her race was almost exterminated. When European vampires emigrated to North America, they found Mercy's people had a hidden talent for vampire slaying. Unfortunately for Mercy, the queen of the local vampire seethe has discovered her true identity.

The undead queen is also furious when she learns Mercy has crossed her and killed one of her own. Mercy may be protected from direct reprisals by the werewolf pack (and her interesting relationship with its Alpha), but that just means Marsilia will come after Mercy some other way. So Mercy had better prepare to watch her back.

Car mechanic/shapeshifter Mercy Thompson must protect her friends from vampire queen Marsilia's revenge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,089,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible