My Best Friend Is Invisible by R. L. Stine

My Best Friend Is Invisible

by R. L. Stine

## Not seeing is believing!

A bit of an unusual entry. My Best Friend is Invisible reaches in too many directions, I think; indecisive on whether it wants to tackle realistic social issues kids may be facing, or just be silly with itself in a very Twilight Zone way. This indecisiveness makes aspects of the story both memorable and forgettable.

[N.B. This review includes images, and was formatted for my site, dendrobibliography -- located here.]

The title plot is immediate: Strange occurrences start happening around Sammy from page one. His window opens on its own; his food keeps disappearing into thin air; he's getting in trouble for messes he didn't make; invisible, clammy, wet, sticky hands keep poking at him and pushing him around. Without any warning, his new invisible friend introduces himself. Brent is an enthusiastic, invisible youth who genuinely likes Sammy, and wants nothing more than to help him in any way he can. The only catch is Sammy has to be his friend. Brent's also kind of a needy jerk, and he won't leave Sammy alone. Every attempt to help ends in an embarrassing blunder for Sammy and only Sammy because -- of course -- no one can see this 'invisible friend' of his make a mess of dinner or accidentally trip him during the school's Olympics (yikes!).

But Brent, the invisible friend of the title, is just continually needy and pushy and happy to be with Sammy. His obsessive behavior is genuinely creepy. It almost seems at times like he wants to hurt the kid he's stalking, that he has no intention of really helping with him anything. (Or if Brent's even human....) A classmate is even nearly killed, all in the name of a dumb joke. There has to be some way for Sammy to get rid of this awful presence without causing any damage, right?

The obligatory twist ending is among the silliest of the series (which I'm not usually keen on, but this one's a bit endearing). Also, like many '90s kids stories, the story demonizes science in a really passive, silly way that I can't ever get along with. Sammy's parents -- both research scientists -- are neglectful and cruel, all in the name of logic and science. Not a fan of that lazy characterization. The darker aspects of the story are memorable, but these are too often interspersed with arbitrary silliness. Overall, My Best Friend... is a perfectly average entry in the series.

R.L. Stine's Goosebumps (1992–1997):
#56 The Curse at Camp Cold Lake | # 58 Deep Trouble II ( )
1 vote alaskayo | Sep 21, 2016 |
I never read this series as a kid, and it was a favorite of a friend of mine, so I gave one a go when she started re-reading them for old time's sake.

I thought it was well-written, and I loved the ending. I didn't guess the twist. ( )

dysmonia | Apr 15, 2014 |

I love the unexpected ending. It's so genius! ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |

They're baa-ack! Make way for the bestselling children's series of all time! With a fresh new look, GOOSEBUMPS is set to scare a whole new generation of kids. So reader beware--you're in for a scare!

Sammy Jacobs is into ghosts and science fiction. Not exactly the smartest hobby--at least not if you ask Sammy's parents. They're research scientists and they only believe in "real" science.
But now Sammy's met someone who's totally UN-real. He's hanging out in Sammy's room. And eating his cereal at breakfast. Sammy's got to find a way to get rid of his new "friend." Only problem is . . . Sammy's new friend is invisible!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:00 -0400)

Sammy Jacobs is very interested in ghosts and science fiction much to the dismay of his parents who are research scientists, but when he somehow acquires an invisible friend, he realizes that the supernatural is not all that much fun.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible