Eggs in Purgatory by Laura Childs

Eggs in Purgatory

by Laura Childs

2251951,607 (3.6)38

Sometimes you find a book that really speaks to you, and this is one of those. Suzanne, Toni, and Petra are three unique ladies, who are so different, but yet so alike who are desperately looking for new beginnings. They combine their skills, talents, hopes, and dreams by opening their own cafe the Cackleberry Club. When someone is murdered and their livelihood, the cafe, is threatened the ladies are looking for a killer. Enter a religious cult and Suzanne's past, the element for disaster is impending. The events that transpire provide an exciting read. This trio of ladies and supporting cast will have you begging for the next book.
  witchywoman1 | Sep 29, 2016 |
This book was okay. I felt like a lot was crammed into this story and I wonder if all the Cackleberry books will be the same. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
I wanted to like this book. I tried really hard to like it, honestly. But it really was just awful. Ok, maybe not awful. But not good. Really not good. First of all, the murder takes place way too soon, in my opinion. We've not been introduced to anyone, maybe a small intro to the main character, and a nod to a couple of the other main characters, and then boom, ooh look a body... After that, I still don't think we really got a good feel for most of the people of this supposedly cozy small town. Childs describes Suzanne brushing her teeth and gargling for 'a full minute', but I don't think she ever got around to describing her appearance or her home, or her cafe really beyond what it offered. And oh boy, what it offered. A cafe / tearoom / book shop / knitting shop / bakery / brothel...ok, I made up the bit about the brothel, but the rest holds true. Honestly, it was just too much. Also too much was the plot itself. We have a murder, a good-for-nothing ex-husband (or soon to be ex-husband, I was never really sure on that) who's in trouble with the law, car chases, another murder, a religious cult, domestic abuse, a financial conspiracy involving the small town prison, arson, all in this sleepy little town. Aren't cozies supposed to make you want to curl up by the fire and read about an idyllic location that you'd just love to visit (without the murder of course)? Because this town made me feel anything but cozy. It felt dreadful. I'm still fairly new to cozy mysteries, and maybe this is what most of them are like. If so, I'm thinking this isn't the genre for me. The only really positive thing I can say is that there's a recipe for Toad in the Hole in the back of the book that sounds pretty good. ( )
  virginiahomeschooler | Feb 11, 2014 |
I love Laura Childs, but the cast of characters in this series didn't grab me. The story itself wasn't bad, with enough twists & turns to keep you guessing, but the main characters weren't appealing. Not that they weren't decent people just that they weren't that interesting. Doubt I'll read the others in the series. ( )
  CozyLover | Nov 10, 2013 |
Sometimes women lose their husbands and need shoulders to lean on. They may not even all "lose" their husbands in the same way, but there is something about a good friend or two that makes things easier to deal with. Suzanne, Toni, and Petra are just that; great friends in sort of similar situations looking for good support in each other. They open the Cackleberry Club, a little cafe that also has a book nook and knitting area. It goes over great and they just love what they are doing. One day though the great times come to an abrupt end when Suzanne finds her lawyer dead in his truck behind her Club. Not just dead either...murdered! Soon Suzanne is delving in to put on her amateur sleuth hat and figure things out, after all it greatly affects her. As she digs deeper she learns that there are many secrets in her life and small town that she never had a clue about. Soon her late husband's character is put into question and Suzanne is about to loose things very important to her if she can't find answers. Will she find the answers at all? If she does, will they be answers that will help clear things up for the good or the bad in her life? Will she survive her digging into the past? Lawyers have many enemies, but what would cause one to kill him?

This was the first book I have ever read written by Childs. I must say I was extremely happy I picked it up! This book was full of mystery and drama. There was a bit of background in the first chapter or two, but it was well written background, not drawn out or too much, as in some books I have read. It gave the background needed to make the rest of the book make sense to the reader, but it didn't give the whole back story of every character in a drawn out fashion that makes readers want to quit reading. I loved the characters too! Suzanne, Toni, and Petra are one funny and fun loving group of ladies. They don't take gruff from anyone and they don't see anything as too big of a challenge. They all come from rough pasts and I think it makes them more realistic to the readers, I know it did for me. I felt like I got to know them throughout the book and became friends with them. I also just loved the adorable old dog Baxter and how he really seemed to "get" his owner Suzanne. I could just see his reaction to things. The mystery and drama of it all was simply amazing. It was chocked full of twist and turns and I felt like I was on a roller coaster at an amusement park. Every time I thought, ok...got it, there would be a sudden drop I never saw coming that I was thrown down. It was a mystery that came right down to the wire before I finally figured it all out. I found the whole book very exciting and I just loved the writing style! Childs definitely has a new fan! I can't recommend this book enough and I also can't wait to read on in the next book in this series to see where the ladies go now and what happens. A must read!

5/5 Stars!! ( )
  AngiesAngels | Oct 15, 2013 |
This one's for the hometown folks.
Suzanne Deitz didn't set out to start the Cackleberry Club, the whole thing just sort of happened.

Suzanne, Toni, and Petra lose their husbands but find independence when they open the Cackleberry Club. Then their cozy cafe becomes the scene of a crime when a lawyer dies with a secret on his lips and egg on his face. What this all has to do with a religious cult and Suzanne's past could put her own life on the line.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible