The Diva Runs Out Of Thyme by Krista Davis

The Diva Runs Out Of Thyme

by Krista Davis

Sophie is the perfect character to build a fictional friendship with. Join her and the neighborhood of old town in this heart warming, funny and mysterious adventure. I truly enjoyed this book and started the second one immediately. Krista Davis is giving the Cozy world a wonderful series! ( )
  Bibliophile.Reviews | Dec 25, 2016 |
Sophie Winston may have lost her husband to domestic diva (and former high school rival) Natasha Smith, but she kept Max’s family home, and a decent relationship with her former mother-in-law. Now she has a chance to expand her role at the paper writing a domestic help column that rivals Natasha’s, but keeps things simple. If she can win the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown she’ll get some great positive publicity and show her ex-husband, her rival, and her parents that she can make it on her own. But when she finds a body while grocery shopping, she’s suddenly embroiled in a murder investigation.

I love cozy mysteries – they are my reading comfort food. This has a pretty good premise, and I liked the rivalry between Sophie and Natasha, and between Sophie and her sister Hannah. Davis starts each chapter with domestic advice from either Natasha or Sophie; there are some great ideas for decorating or rescuing a cooking mistake here. Setting the story at Thanksgiving gave the divas plenty of fodder for advice (good or bad).

The story was filled with more suspects than you could shake a turkey leg at, and plenty of plot twists to keep the reader guessing. There’s also a nice little sub-plot of a senior romance that was entertaining. However, the central murder mystery plot was pretty thin, and the big reveal stretched credulity a little too far. Still, it’s a satisfying, fast read, and I’ll continue the series.

Oh … and even though it’s months until November, I’m ready to try that Bourbon Pecan Pie recipe now! ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 27, 2016 |
This was a great start to the Domestic Diva Mystery series! Sophia is preparing for the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown, a cooking competition that includes her childhood rival, when she encounters her first dead body. The timing for murder is never convenient, but the cooking competition is the next day, her family has arrived for Thanksgiving weekend, and now she's a suspect in a murder case. Sophie is determined to find the real killer with the help of her family, friends, neighbors, and a rival or two. All sorts of hilarity ensues. Will she be able to clear her name before another corpse falls?

This book is a laugh a minute thanks to Ms. Davis's colorful characters. It's difficult to create a story with such a large cast and keep everyone unique and memorable, but she pulls it off extremely well! I was able to tell everyone apart simply by dialogue. Sophie's neighborhood is absolutely charming and life there is never dull! As for the plot, I had an idea about Whodunnit, but I was wrong. Love it when that happens! Who wants predictability?

In short, I loved the characters, loved the humor, the wit, the twist at the end, and really appreciated the recipes included at the end of the book. Did I mention all the cool little holiday tips at the beginning of each chapter? Those are golden! I can't wait to read the next book!

This is definitely one for the top of your TBR! Thanks so much to Diane for recommending this series! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Great start to a new cozy series. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Nov 9, 2015 |
I would never have thought to give this book only 3 stars. But the final solution to all the hoo-ha was just cheating on behalf of the writer. There I was, amazed at the crimes and near crimes and suspicious events happening each two chapters. Despite that I knew from experience not to expect a phenomenal outcome to the mystery. But too many random events had come together to give the crimes a collective signature.

The book started very vividly. The scenes at the heroine's slightly lavish house were strong and imposed on one's imagination until the pictures of domestic content came to my brain naturally. I was glad the heroine didn't have any non-culinary special skill. The writer tried to make Sophie flawed, but instead I chose Sophie's side when she dug her heels when she refused to be manipulated by her quite ordinary mum.

Perhaps no other mystery book has strewn so many puzzling events like this one. But also, no other typical whodunit has revealed the murderer's identity so early - about 89% throughout the book. During the rest of the book, one thing was left unexplained. I mean the Peeping Tom.

I guessed the identity of the criminal early on. I thought it would be one of a married couple. They had an alibi and that was an excuse for the writer to make them disappear from the focus. I was slightly doubtful about my guess because the murderer was part of the heroine's family and I didn't know how the writer operated. I mean I didn't know how unchanged the social circle of Sophie would be allowed to be.

So there you have it. Three stars. This book was written in an easy style that I felt comfortable with. I admired the author's skill during parts of the book. It's better than two cozy books that I read earlier this year (Chocolate Bugbear Mystery, and Lye In Wait). But I still I cannot praise this book to the skies. Some of the attention to detail was there just for show, there wasn't much depth to it. There was no common theme, or meaningful moments. Just a bunch of stuff that happened together. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 18, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425224260, Mass Market Paperback)

Gracious living can be murder. First in an all-new mystery series— includes delicious recipes and great tips on entertaining!

Few can compete with Natasha Smith when it comes to entertaining, but her childhood rival, Sophie Winston, certainly tries. Natasha may have stolen the spotlight—and Sophie’s husband—but Sophie is determined to rob her of the prize for the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown. She just needs the right ingredient.

But Sophie’s search for the perfect turkey takes a basting when she stumbles across a corpse. And when the police find her name and photo inside the victim’s car, Sophie will have to set her trussing aside to solve the murder—or she’ll be serving up prison grub.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:42 -0400)

Gracious living can be murder. First in an all-new mystery seriesa includes delicious recipes and great tips on entertaining! Few can compete with Natasha Smith when it comes to entertaining, but her childhood rival, Sophie Winston, certainly tries. Natasha may have stolen the spotlightaand Sophieas husbandabut Sophie is determined to rob her of the prize for the Stupendous Stuffing Shakedown. She just needs the right ingredient. But Sophieas search for the perfect turkey takes a basting when she stumbles across a corpse. And when the police find her name and photo inside the victimas car, Sophie will have to set her trussing aside to solve the murderaor sheall be serving up prison grub.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,367,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible