Dead Men Don't Crochet by Betty Hechtman

Dead Men Don't Crochet (2008)

by Betty Hechtman

Recently added byRena37, Casplet, Wazeau, tmusso, tlbeam

I thought something was fishy about the culprit. Next please. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Aug 14, 2014 |
Molly heads over to a consignment shop with her friend Sheila, a quite timid person, who is finding herself at odds with the new owners. When he ends up face down in a bowl of soup, Sheila becomes a suspect because her scarf is on the desk and because she had handled the paperweight on the desk while talking to the man. No one in the stitching group believes Sheila is capable of murder. Taking her cues from The Average Joe's Guide to Criminal Investigation, Molly sets out to investigate, completely ignoring her detective boyfriend's warnings. There are some humorous moments in the investation. As in the first book in the series, Molly's boyfriend removes himself from the case because she was present at the time of the crime. A light, but pleasant read. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 29, 2013 |
"Crime Scene Groupie" Molly Pink (bookstore manager) seems to frequently be in the wrong place at the wrong time but mainly because she's just trying to help a friend. In this second installment of the Crochet mysteries, Molly goes to the Cottage Shoppe to support her friend Sheila who is having troubles with the new owner of the consignment shop that handles her scarves and blankets. When that owner turns up drown in his tomato bisque soup shortly after a private confrontation between Sheila and the deceased, Molly sets out to find the true murderer before Sheila is slapped in jail by Molly's rival Detective GIlmore.

The murder mystery is fun and entertaining as well as the characters getting into hilarious predicaments. The subplot rivalries/family-dating issues definitely give you a good chuckle. This series could get to be addicting! ( )
  cyderry | Mar 19, 2013 |
This is the second book in the Crochet Mystery series. By now amateur sleuth and bookstore worker Molly Pink has developed something of a local reputation as a `crime scene groupie' which is made even worse when she finds herself caught up in another murder investigation! Much to her annoyance and smug Detective Heather's pleasure (who is determined Molly and her group of crochet buddies will be brought down a peg or two), timid Sheila, a fellow `Tarzana Hooker' is suspected of the crime. Molly and the fellow hookers immediately set about trying to clear Sheila's name; the question is whether or not they will succeed.

Fans of well-written cosy crime novels will welcome this cute little series- I can't wait to read the rest of them either. The characters are believable and though this is a murder mystery is quite light hearted in tone and not too sinister, which makes it a great quick read. There's a nice splash of humour with the knitting/crochet rivalry touched upon again, as well as a bit of ongoing on/off romance with Molly and her Police Detective boyfriend, Barry (who I'm not sure I like too much to be honest). I have a bit of a soft spot for snarky Adele, it is nice getting to know the characters a bit more as this series progresses. Molly is an interesting character with a lot of dimensions and a good back story which makes her a fun protagonist, but the secondary characters too, are well written.

I would say that though it isn't essential, you might benefit from reading these books in their intended order just to get a feel for who is who. As far as cosy mysteries go, this is definitely a stronger series than a few others I have tried in the past, with a nice crafty feel to it. You also don't have to be a fan of crochet to like these books, so don't let that put you off!

*This review also appears on Amazon.co.uk* ( )
  CookieDemon | Mar 13, 2012 |
I bought Dead Men Don't Crochet from the author at the Printer's Row Lit Fest a few months ago. At the time I did not remember that I did not like the first book in this crochet series. I must admit though, that the readability of Betty Hechtman's writing is 100% improved but it still has a slow pace and dull characters.

Here is the book's summary from the back page blurb: "The Tarzana Hookers are a motley crew of women, all of whom are not afraid to speak their minds. Except Sheila. She's a timid, anxiety-ridden crocheter whose is desperate need of money, so she sells her beautiful scarves at a local antique and consignment store. But when the new owner stiffs Sheila, the boisterous ladies rally and offer their support. The real trouble begins when the tightly wound shop owner is found dead - unraveling Sheila's quiet life. Molly ignores the warnings from her homicide-detective boyfriend and, with the help of her stitch mates, sets out to clear Sheila's name. It's up to them to sort through the skeins of evidence before someone gets away with murder."

I have given the author 2 tries but she has not been able to snag my interest. This will be the last book of hers that I will read. ( )
  Violette62 | Aug 20, 2011 |
For my parents, Helen and Jacob Jacobson, You always believed in me.
"My names is Molly Pink and I'm a Yarnoholic," I announced to my crochet group, the Tarzana Hookers, as I put my stash on the table.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425225003, Mass Market Paperback)

When a member of Molly Pink’s crochet group is suspected of murder, it’s up to Molly and her pals to pick up the dropped stitches and catch a killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:45 -0400)

"Molly Pink has become a yarnaholic. She shares her obsession with her crochet group in Tarzana, California. However, the real problem on their hands these days is a murder with a unique weave that casts suspicion on one of their own..."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible