The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell

The Wordy Shipmates

by Sarah Vowell, Sarah Vowell

1,888None3,618 (3.65)224
17th century (31) 2008 (19) 2009 (15) America (22) American (24) American History (125) ARC (25) audio (15) audiobook (22) Boston (17) Christianity (22) Colonial America (28) essays (47) history (383) humor (127) John Winthrop (17) Massachusetts (47) New England (81) non-fiction (302) Pilgrims (48) politics (23) Puritans (147) read (37) religion (80) Rhode Island (19) Roger Williams (16) signed (15) to-read (44) US History (40) USA (25)

Another funny yet illuminating history book by Sarah Vowell, this time focusing on the Puritans in New England after the pilgrims and before the Salem Witch Trials. I learned a lot, and she's a really entertaining author and reader. I really enjoy her deadpanning and her humor, and I'm glad I have Assassination Vacation on audio in the wings. ( )
  Tahleen | Feb 16, 2014 |
I'm not sure what to think of this one. It's a non-fiction book about one of the first Puritan separatist settlements in New England, mostly focusing on William Bradford, the semi-leader of the colony.

It's told with a witty narrative, sharp and easy to understand. It's made for a modern audience, but my question is, who in this modern audience would be interested in this subject matter? It pretty much goes through the history of the colony, focusing on the why and who. It begins with the departure from England and ends with the death of Bradford. There's no real thesis or point to prove, so I'm wondering why try and make a narrative out of this? The story just isn't that compelling. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 14, 2014 |
Lots of fun. Glad I read it in Massachusetts. ( )
  gospodyina | Jan 5, 2014 |
The history of early Boston - particularly the religion and historical works of Winthrop, Roger Williams, and Anne Hutchinson. Funny in spots but not as funny as others. She also shys away from the why should we care about this questions. I can almost see it but I fear many would miss it. ( )
  stuart10er | Nov 5, 2013 |
This was a quick read. It didn't drag and I enjoyed the second half of the book much more than the first. Vowell zooms through the Puritan past at a lightning pace. She mixes Puritan history with some of her own personal stories. Humor is sprinkled throughout the book but sometimes it falls flat.

I think I may have enjoyed The Wordy Shipmates more if it was an audiobook. It seemed to flow as a one-way conversation between Sarah Vowell and myself. Although it's just as likely that the drone of her voice and the snarky, yet corny, comments riddled throughout would be more likely to cause me to zone out on occasion than keep me at rapt attention. So I'm torn. I want to like this book. I can't say it's a really bad book. It's not. It's just not a really great book.

P.S. I don't remember nor do I really care about Happy Days or The Brady Bunch. Vowell spent waaaaaaay too much time going off on tangents. This lack of focus was distracting. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
Maybe there's something to be said for learning about the pilgrims, after all—especially from an instructor as entertaining as Vowell.
added by sduff222 | editBitch Magazine, Kelsey Wallace (Mar 28, 2011)

As always with Vowell, her commentary is apt and frequently, startlingly
insightful. I would suggest that this book might well be used as
a sort of introductory text to the ideas of the Puritans particularly for
undergraduates. Because she engages so cleverly with popular culture,
it may help provide a successful approach to the dense and highly
intellectualized writing of this group of Puritans. For the nonspecialist
in this period, the book could serve as a reminder of what continues to
be so fascinating about the ideas of the New England Puritans of the
seventeenth century and the impact their thought continues to have in
popular discourse.
added by sduff222 | editReviews in Religion and Theology, Mary Coleman (Sep 1, 2009)

Sarah Vowell is a problem. She’s a problem like Sarah Palin, Cyndi Lauper and Kathy Griffin. She’s annoying. Or, really, she’s double-annoying, because she styles herself as annoying — provocative-annoying — and if you become annoyed by her you seem to be conceding the point. She’s gotten to you.

Take “The Wordy Shipmates,” her fifth book. Vowell has integrated her sarcasm, flat indie-girl affect and kitsch worship — refined in print and on public radio — into a pop history of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Known for her adenoid-helium voice, Vowell is a genial talker but an undisciplined writer. This new book mixes jiggers of various weak liquors — paraphrase, topical one-liners, blogger tics — and ends up tasting kind of festive but bad, like Long Island iced tea.

Drawing on letters, essays, and sermons, Vowell offers a penetrating look at the tensions between John Winthrop, John Cotton, Roger Williams, Anne Hutchinson, and others as they argued about the role of religion in government and everyday life. They saw themselves as God's chosen people, a credo that set the tone for American history and notions of manifest destiny that have led to all manner of imposition on other lands and cultures. But they also vehemently debated separation of church and state and founded Harvard, even as they pondered the destiny of what Winthrop referred to as the "shining city on the hill "A book dense with detail, insight, and humor.
added by sduff222 | editBooklist, Vanessa Bush (Oct 1, 2008)

At times dense, at times silly, at times surpassingly wise.
added by sduff222 | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2008)

Sarah Vowellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vowell, Sarahmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dzama, MarcelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laroche, NicoleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Levinthal, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seow, JackieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, Jeffrey L.Map artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But oh! shipmates! on the starboard hand of every woe, there is a sure delight...Delight is to him whose strong arms yet support him, when the ship of this base treacherous world has gone down beneath him. Delight is to him, who gives no quarter in the truth, and kills, burns, and destroys all sin though he pluck it out from under the robes of Senators and Judges. Delight, --top-gallant delight is to him, who acknowledges no law or lord, but the Lord his God, and is only a patriot to heaven.

--Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
For Scott Seeley, Ted Thompson, and Joan Kim
The only thing more dangerous than an idea is a belief.
I'm always disappointed when I see the word "Puritan" tossed around as shorthand for a bunch of generic, boring, stupid, judgmental killjoys. Because to me, they are very specific, fascinating, sometimes brilliant, judgmental killjoys who rarely agreed on anything except that Catholics are going to hell.
Behind every bad law, a deep fear.

To this day, America views itself as a Puritan nation, but author Vowell investigates what that means--and what it should mean. What was this great political enterprise all about? Who were these people who are considered the philosophical, spiritual, and moral ancestors of our nation? What Vowell discovers is something far different from what their uptight shoe-buckles-and-corn reputation might suggest. The people she finds are highly literate, deeply principled, and surprisingly feisty. Their story is filled with pamphlet feuds, witty courtroom dramas, and bloody vengeance.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,413,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible