Dear America: Voyage On The Great Titanic by…
Member:BookEndsIntl
Title:Dear America: Voyage On The Great Titanic
Authors:Ellen Emerson White (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2010), Edition: Reprint, 208 pages
Collections:BookEnds
Tags:_Historical Fiction, From:KayHowell

Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady: RMS Titanic, 1912 by Ellen Emerson White (1998)

Great story. One of the best fictional Titanic recreations I've ever read. ( )
  mjkutan | Feb 3, 2019 |
This book is a diary of one of the passengers on Titanic. ( )
  cromero16 | Nov 28, 2018 |
I don't remember much of these books as individual books, but I remember reading them all as a young, avid reader. I think that ultimately these books are the reason why I love historical fiction novels so much. They all did such a great job of taking me to a different time and place and making it come alive, seeing the world through an older, historical lens. I highly recommend any of the Dear America books to younger readers who love history and need to get hooked on reading! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jul 31, 2018 |
Dear America Series. Five years ago, Margaret Ann Brady's older brother left her in the care of an orphanage and immigrated to America. When the orphanage receives an unusual request from an American woman looking for a traveling companion, Margaret's teachers agree that she is the perfect candidate to accompany Mrs. Carstairs on the TITANIC, so that once Margaret arrives in New York she will be free to join her brother in Boston. But the TITANIC is destined for tragedy, and Margaret's journey is thrown into a frozen nightmare when the ship collides with an iceberg. ( )
  LynneQuan | Jan 30, 2018 |
Summary: This book follows Margaret who is an orphan living in London. She is granted an opportunity to join a wealthy woman on the Titanic, and she accepts because she wants to travel to America to be reunited with her brother. Margaret doesn't fit in very well with her traveling companion and her friends and discovers that it is easier to talk to the people who work on the ship. Margaret tells us about the devastating events that unfolded when the ship began to sink, and her struggle to come to terms with her survival.

Reactions: The descriptions of day to day life on the ship were really interesting. I've often wondered what it would have been like to be on such an extravagant ship, and this book does a really good job of detailing that. Margaret is easy to relate to, and the small romantic plot between her and Robert is sweet and so sad.

Classroom Extensions: 1. Have the kids write a journal article pretending that they were invited on the Titanic, have them write their feelings and say what they think their favorite part of the ship would have been (if it wouldn't have ended the way it did)

2. Learn more about the Titanic ( )
  emcnally | Mar 22, 2016 |
For Holly
I feel rather a fool writing down my thoughts, but this evening, Sister Catherine made the very firm suggestion that I start keeping a diary - and handed me a brand-new tablet from the supply closet for that very purpose.

In her diary in 1912, thirteen-year-old Margaret Ann describes how she leaves her lonely life in a London orphanage to become a companion to a wealthy American woman, sails on the Titanic, and experiences its sinking.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,124,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible