Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of…
1,119197,372 (3.85)3
Member:dixie_darlin
Title:Voyage on the Great Titanic: The Diary of Margaret Ann Brady (Dear America)
Authors:Ellen Emerson White
Info:Scholastic Press (1998), Hardcover, 203 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Dear America

Voyage on the Great Titanic : the Diary of Margaret Ann Brady by Ellen Emerson White (1998)

This is the diary of a young orphan girl who is given an opportunity to travel overboard on the Titanic.This book describes her experiences during the disaster.She is fortunate enough to survive with an another handfull of people. This is a tragic and moving story and I would recommend this book to upper primary kids who love realistic and historical books. ( )
  AnnMaryVincent | Mar 8, 2013 |
it is really sad so many people died. you want to keep reading ( )
  Jessmunson | Feb 13, 2013 |
Summary: Margaret-Ann, a poor orphan from London comes across a large stroke of luck when she is given the opportunity to travel on the great R. M. S Titanic--the great "unsinkable" ship. Yet a lovely, easy going journey turns tragic as the Titanic begins to sink. Margaret-Ann learns to grow up fast in the face of trouble and manages to get down just about every single feeling, action, and thought down into her journal.

Personal Reaction: An amazing book! I loved the old English type writing. A great story to teach children new words and phrases, while also teaching them about a different day and age. I would not recommend this to younger readers; probably just about grades fourth and up. Third at the very least. I would also choose to read this out loud to a class rather than have them read it themselves. The amount of sadness as well as tragedy might be too much to process for a few young minds. Certain things might need to be explained.

Classroom Extension: As a child, I loved assignments that allowed the class to put themselves in the shoe of another. I would put this to use by asking students to take down journal entries as if they were on the Titanic. This journal would include an entry from how they managed to board the ship, which class they would like to be apart of, the sights they saw, what happened as the ship sank, and what life was like after they survived the sinking.
  karlilov | Oct 21, 2012 |
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 5, 2012 |
Titanic was an amazing ship, and unfortunately sank on its first voyage. Margret Ann Brady was one of the handful that survived out of a phenomenal number of deaths. The classic Dear America's never fails to tell a heart warming, soul touching story. this edition, Margret Ann Brady tells her version of this love, loss, and tragedy. 4.5 stars for a wonderful story. ( )
  ctmsalmo | Oct 30, 2011 |
For Holly
I feel rather a fool writing down my thoughts, but this evening, Sister Catherine made the very firm suggestion that I start keeping a diary - and handed me a brand-new tablet from the supply closet for that very purpose.

In her diary in 1912, thirteen-year-old Margaret Ann describes how she leaves her lonely life in a London orphanage to become a companion to a wealthy American woman, sails on the Titanic, and experiences its sinking.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible