A Theology of Liberation: History, Politics,…

A Theology of Liberation: History, Politics, and Salvation (1972)

by Gustavo Gutierrez

English (3)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
x
  StFrancisofAssisi | Aug 28, 2018 |
I wanted to read this after Francis was elected Pope and people on both the left and the right claimed that Francis would be bade because of how he reacted to liberation theology during the social class struggle of the 70s/80s in Argentina. The right saying he too closely embraced it, the left saying he did not embrace it.

So what is it? Instead of letting other people tell me I figured I'd let them tell me themselves. Well let me tell you, this book is certainly written at a level intended for educational intellectuals and not for activists on the ground and parishioners in the pew. I'm not a dumb guy but most of this was way over my head. I was disappointed in the amount of citation that still didn't say anything.

The last two or three chapters probably could have been the whole book. As the author spends most of his time trying to prove that Jesus would be against capitalism because...insert some lofty intellectual reason here.

While I agree the class struggle is real, and I agree that the church cannot pretend it doesn't exist, shunning traditional values and theology to focus on overturning corporatism is not a solution. We should care for the poor, and we should love our neighbor ,that includes loving those who oppress us. Its not an excuse to do nothing, as the author insists. It is a direction to be careful and love.

Probably worth reading if you are interested in such topics, but it won't bring you closer to Christ nor bring those around you to the right hand of the Lord. I think those are more important and if we focus there a life of forgiveness and caring will happen. ( )
  fulner | Jun 16, 2015 |
Decent for its genre.
  Hanuman2 | Dec 16, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,168,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible