Night Scenes by Lisa Jarnot

Night Scenes

by Lisa Jarnot

Lisa Jarnot's blog makes me crazy, and is a case study in why some people shouldn't have blogs, but her poetry is consistently amazing. A must-read (like her earlier books Ring of Fire and Black Dog Songs) for anyone wondering what important contemporary poetry books are being written today. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
There are poems where she is doing something she's done before and poems where she is doing something new. Of the poems where she's doing something she's done before, some of them I liked for their familiarity, and for the same reason I liked what she was doing before. Some of them I didn't like as much, thinking that it was a weaker version of what she was doing before, a possible parody. These two groupings are not mutually exclusive. Of the poems where she is doing something new, some of them were an extension of what she was doing before and made sense in this way and I immediately liked them. But some of them were so new that I had a hard time figuring out where she's coming from or how it relates to her older work. These I didn't like as much, but at the same time I admired their newness and wondered briefly if I'm not the one to blame. ( )
  JimmyChanga | Jul 13, 2010 |

Poetry. In NIGHT SCENES, the fourth book from best-selling poet Lisa Jarnot, we are returned to the "first melody" through mock archaisms, neologisms, rollicking rhymes, and childlike delight. Her circling lyrics sing the pleasure of naming itself, with pastoral dreams occasionally giving way to waking life in Brooklyn. Like William Blake's songs, NIGHT SCENES privileges wonder over reason in a triumph of the imagination: "Be jumpy / or unhinged / with joy / enlightened / fry cakes / Staten hoy."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:53 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,544,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible