Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Eventide by Kent Haruf

Eventide (2004)

by Kent Haruf

fumo by William Faulkner (cometahalley)
    The First Forty-Nine Stories by Ernest Hemingway (cometahalley)
    Benediction by Kent Haruf (cometahalley)
    Marvel and a Wonder by Joe Meno (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: Same kind of unconventional-now-conventional family story, each told in their own beautiful ways.

English (54)  Italian (4)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (61)
I continue to love Haruf's straight-talking, "tell it like it is" approach to story telling. In this sequel to Haruf's debut novel, Plainsong, we are back in the fictional township of Holt, Colorado, roughly 2 years later. I call Holt a township as the story also captures the farming community, through the McPheron farm. Continuing his quietly expressive writing style, Haruf takes this story up a notch. We are introduced to new characters, get to revisit with familiar characters and, if you are like me, emotionally experience some really heart-wrenching, "unexpected punches to the gut" scenes. Not all outcomes are cheery, but Haraf's writing captures a snapshot of small town life, so it is not surprising that some of the events have a sad/ negative resolution or remain unresolved. That is life. Haruf's message remains steady and true: The ability to accept/overcome loss, face adversity or just carry on with life after it has kicked you to the curb, can be helped along with the comforting power of family/ friendship/ community.

Another wonderful story and I am looking forward to starting the third book in the trilogy, Benediction. ( )
  lkernagh | Jan 13, 2019 |
Kent Haruf writes with such tenderness - his words are elegant and precise - he tells stories of small town people whose lives are not big or dramatic, yet paints pictures with his words that bring them fully to life. Eventide builds on some of the characters of Plainsong, and introduces new ones in overlapping chapters. I will miss this wonderful author who passed away four years ago. ( )
  njinthesun | Oct 26, 2018 |
With the lone exception of the too predictable return of Hoyt Raines to the Wallace trailer,
Kent Haru has composed a perfect book.

Readers may be moved to feel as deeply for the landscape
as for the carefully evolving characters. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 21, 2018 |
Author Kent Haruf returns to the small rural town of Holt, Colorado with Eventide. In this high plains town we meet many of the characters that we grew to love in his previous book, Plainsong. Life has moved on from the last book so it was wonderful to catch up with the characters while at the same time being introduced to some new ones. Haruf allows his story to unfold naturally and while there is both sadness and hardship in this community, he also shows the sympathy and understanding that exists there as well. Children play an important part in his stories and he realistically captures their earnest dignity and empathy which makes them the heart and soul of the story.

It’s hard not to compare the writing in these books to music, both Plainsong and Eventide deliver a symphony of wisdom, humanity and humor as the author captures the ebb and flow of life on America’s plains. His flawed but oh-so-human characters with their convergent narratives and muti-textured stories blend together in a melancholy yet calming manner.

Eventide is the perfect sequel to Plainsong. In his unique style, Kent Haruf delivers a pitch perfect novel of haunting beauty and grace. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 18, 2018 |
Digital audiobook performed by George Hearn

Continuing the story of the residents of fictional Holt, Colorado, the novel features some of the same characters that readers came to love in Plainsong. The McPheron brothers see Victoria Roubideaux move off their ranch to begin college; Maggie Jones once again displays the compassion and good sense that make her such a wonderful teacher; Tom Guthrie and his boys make an appearance as well. And social worker Rose Tyler finds that the burden of helping people who sometimes cannot be helped is made a little easier with a strong shoulder to cry on. New characters move the story of the town and its residents forward: a young boy helps his aged grandfather, a woman with two girls tries to find her way now that her husband has left, and a couple with limited resources have difficulty caring for their two children.

Life can be hard in Holt. Accidents cause injury and death. Alcohol fuels violent tendencies and foolish behavior. Misunderstandings lead to wounded egos and bruised sensibilities. Then again, there are scenes of tenderness and caring that touch my heart and give me faith in humankind. People rise to the occasion and help one another without thought to payback or obligation. Couples find humor in their situation, or reach out to comfort one another. People made hard decisions and move forward with courage and grace in the face of adversity.

And I just have to comment on how Haruf paints the landscape. I felt the bitter wind of a December midnight, saw the weak sunlight on wide open fields, smelled the squalor of an unkempt trailer, or relished in the sights and sounds of a spring afternoon.

I came late to the party when it comes to reading Haruf. But better late than never. As I came to the end of this novel I found myself mourning his passing all over again. A week or so after I finished listening to the audio, I picked up the text and read it again, cover to cover.

George Hearn does a fine job narrating the audiobook. He has the perfect pace and tone for this quiet novel. He really brings these characters to life; I particularly love how he voices the McPheron brothers. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | Sep 19, 2017 |
Abide with me: fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me. - Henry R. Lyte
For Cathy and in memory of my nephew Mark Kelley Haruf
They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375725768, Paperback)

Kent Haruf, author of Plainsong, one of the most beloved novels in recent years, has wisely continued the franchise in Eventide, another foray into the prairie town of Holt, Colorado. We meet some of the same people--the McPheron brothers, Tom Guthrie and Maggie Jones, Victoria and her daughter Katie, and are introduced to new ones. Once again, the quirky bachelors Harold and Raymond McPheron, short on conversation and long on heart, form the sweet center of the book. The constants here are the brothers, the landscape--by turns hostile, demanding and renewing--and a few of the locals, whom we meet in varying degrees of their travails and redemption.

Victoria, the young pregnant woman the brothers took in in Plainsong, has gone off to college at Fort Collins, leaving the brothers standing at the kitchen counter, "drinking coffee and talking about how Victoria Roubideaux was doing a hundred and twenty-five miles away from home ... while they themselves were living as usual in the country in Holt County ... with so much less to account for now that she was gone, and a wind rising up and starting to whine outside the house." Much as Seinfeld was called the TV show about nothing, Haruf's books are so low-key and straightforward that a careless reader might miss the fact that they are about everything that life has to offer: love, sorrow, malice, understanding, and the connections that make and keep us human, to name a few.

DJ is an 11-year-old living alone with his grandfather, when he befriends two young girls whose father left for Alaska and decided not to return. Their mother is mired in grief and the three children, abandoned by the adults in their lives, find refuge in an old shed they make habitable. "So for a while the two sisters and the boy lay on the floor under the blankets, reading books in the dim candlelight, with the sun falling down outside in the alley, the three of them talking a little softly, drinking coffee from a thermos, and what was happening in the houses they’d come from, seemed, for that short time, of little importance." One of Haruf's particular gifts is in showing us people who give and take solace wherever it may be found.

An unfortunate disabled couple, parents of two young children, are trying to make their way in a world they cannot fathom. They are assisted by Rose Tyler, their caseworker, who is a friend of Maggie Jones. aggie, who drew Tom Guthrie out of his depression in Plainsong, is once again a catalyst for change when she introduces Rose to Raymond. There is no doubt more to come, as life in Holt, Colorado, continues to evolve and Kent Haruf keeps us informed. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

A novel of small-town life in the high plains region around Holt, Colorado, follows the challenges, emotional upheaval, tragedies, and intertwined destinies of the local inhabitants as they cope with the changes they encounter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible