Eventide by Kent Haruf

Info:Vintage (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 299 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:America

Eventide by Kent Haruf

Marvel and a Wonder by Joe Meno (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: Same kind of unconventional-now-conventional family story, each told in their own beautiful ways.

English (49)  French (1)  All (50)
Haruf's writing is spare and lyrical, like a sort of music. Everyone should read him, I can say with certainty that he is one of my favorite authors. ( )
  MaureenCean | May 27, 2017 |
This is book 2 of the loose trilogy by Kent Haruf which began with 'Plainsong'. How have I never heard of these wonderful books until recently?? GREAT American fiction, beautiful writing, not a word wrong or out of place. These books will be read for generations and people will understand about life in small communities in the far mid-West of the USA during the 20th/21st Centuries. True classics. ( )
  herschelian | Apr 30, 2017 |
This is part two in a trilogy starting with Plainsong. Once again we spend time with the McPheron brothers and other residents of Holt Colorado. The writing style is slow and gentle; the subject matter less so. I think preferred the first book because the ending of this one left me sad more than the sense of community in Plainsong ( )
  eclecticdodo | Feb 12, 2017 |
This is the second in a series set in Holt, Colorado. The story centers on two old bachelor brothers, Raymond and Harold McPheron, who own a cattle ranch. In the first book they take in a pregnant teenager, Victoria, who changes their lives completely. She expands their world and fills it with a love they've never experienced. Early in this story she's moving away with her two-year-old daughter Katie to attend college in a town several hours away. The lives of the McPheron brothers intersect, and contrast, with other townspeople who have some serious problems of their own, including grief, loneliness, bullying, abandonment, and abuse. At the same time, many of these same characters show great bravery, independence, strength and dignity. It was satisfying in a way I don't think I have the ability to explain. I read the first books years ago and it seemed sad, and sweet and has haunted my memory ever since. This is the same. It's a quiet book, but compelling and impossible to forget. ( )
  LeslieHurd | Jan 11, 2017 |
I opened the book and fell in. Totally. Didn't ever want to come up for air. I just want to stay in this world, with these characters for a long time. ( )
  toniclark | Dec 22, 2016 |
Abide with me: fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me. - Henry R. Lyte
For Cathy and in memory of my nephew Mark Kelley Haruf
They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375725768, Paperback)

Kent Haruf, author of Plainsong, one of the most beloved novels in recent years, has wisely continued the franchise in Eventide, another foray into the prairie town of Holt, Colorado. We meet some of the same people--the McPheron brothers, Tom Guthrie and Maggie Jones, Victoria and her daughter Katie, and are introduced to new ones. Once again, the quirky bachelors Harold and Raymond McPheron, short on conversation and long on heart, form the sweet center of the book. The constants here are the brothers, the landscape--by turns hostile, demanding and renewing--and a few of the locals, whom we meet in varying degrees of their travails and redemption.

Victoria, the young pregnant woman the brothers took in in Plainsong, has gone off to college at Fort Collins, leaving the brothers standing at the kitchen counter, "drinking coffee and talking about how Victoria Roubideaux was doing a hundred and twenty-five miles away from home ... while they themselves were living as usual in the country in Holt County ... with so much less to account for now that she was gone, and a wind rising up and starting to whine outside the house." Much as Seinfeld was called the TV show about nothing, Haruf's books are so low-key and straightforward that a careless reader might miss the fact that they are about everything that life has to offer: love, sorrow, malice, understanding, and the connections that make and keep us human, to name a few.

DJ is an 11-year-old living alone with his grandfather, when he befriends two young girls whose father left for Alaska and decided not to return. Their mother is mired in grief and the three children, abandoned by the adults in their lives, find refuge in an old shed they make habitable. "So for a while the two sisters and the boy lay on the floor under the blankets, reading books in the dim candlelight, with the sun falling down outside in the alley, the three of them talking a little softly, drinking coffee from a thermos, and what was happening in the houses they’d come from, seemed, for that short time, of little importance." One of Haruf's particular gifts is in showing us people who give and take solace wherever it may be found.

An unfortunate disabled couple, parents of two young children, are trying to make their way in a world they cannot fathom. They are assisted by Rose Tyler, their caseworker, who is a friend of Maggie Jones. aggie, who drew Tom Guthrie out of his depression in Plainsong, is once again a catalyst for change when she introduces Rose to Raymond. There is no doubt more to come, as life in Holt, Colorado, continues to evolve and Kent Haruf keeps us informed. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

A novel of small-town life in the high plains region around Holt, Colorado, follows the challenges, emotional upheaval, tragedies, and intertwined destinies of the local inhabitants as they cope with the changes they encounter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,172,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible