Eventide by Kent Haruf

Info:Vintage (2005), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 299 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Tags:America

Eventide by Kent Haruf

Marvel and a Wonder by Joe Meno (PaperbackPirate)
    PaperbackPirate: Same kind of unconventional-now-conventional family story, each told in their own beautiful ways.

English (40)  French (1)  All languages (41)
I didn't like this one quite as well as "Plainsong" but my actual rating would fall closer to 3.5 stars. I was delighted to be back with the McPheron brothers and the people of Holt County. They are all so real. Haruf writes in a way that is both simple and beautiful. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Spare, haunting, unresolved, apt. Like the best of us. ( )
  kcshankd | Sep 29, 2015 |
The second novel in the Plainsong-trilogy didn’t hit me with the same force as Plainsong, but it’s still a very beautiful bittersweet story (or stories…). I was glad that Haruf continued most of the stories from the first novel.

There’s such a believable reality to the characters lives. The way they think, talk, act. Their disappointments and loneliness and search for some way to connect with others - or stay away from others.

It’s all in the details I think. The way Haruf pays attention to simple, ordinary and mundane things - in these he finds something profound and filled with meaning. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Feb 21, 2015 |
Eventide is the second of Kent Haruf’s Plainsong novels set in the fictional town of Holt, Colorado. As with the first book, Haruf focuses on just a few people and places them in situations common to small, rural communities. Eventide continues the story of cattle ranching brothers Harold and Raymond McPheron, and introduces two new families: Luther & Betty Wallace struggle with poverty and basic parenting skills; young DJ Kephart lives with his grandfather and shoulders burdens normally borne by an adult; and Mary Wells is raising two daughters while her husband is away working in Alaska.

Haruf had an amazing ability to sketch a character in a way that quickly conveys their very essence and creates emotional investment in their story. And their stories are, indeed, emotional. Some people form new relationships, others suffer loss, still others are seeking someone to fill emotional voids in their lives. Children are bullied or even abused, and some find friends that bring solace. A few situations brought tears to my eyes; call me crazy but for me that’s a sign of a really good book. Also, that I zipped through it in about two days because I couldn’t put it down.

It won’t be long before I read the third book in this series. ( )
3 vote lauralkeet | Jan 21, 2015 |
Abide with me: fast falls the eventide; The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail, and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me. - Henry R. Lyte
For Cathy and in memory of my nephew Mark Kelley Haruf
They came up from the horse barn in the slanted light of early morning.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375725768, Paperback)

Kent Haruf, author of Plainsong, one of the most beloved novels in recent years, has wisely continued the franchise in Eventide, another foray into the prairie town of Holt, Colorado. We meet some of the same people--the McPheron brothers, Tom Guthrie and Maggie Jones, Victoria and her daughter Katie, and are introduced to new ones. Once again, the quirky bachelors Harold and Raymond McPheron, short on conversation and long on heart, form the sweet center of the book. The constants here are the brothers, the landscape--by turns hostile, demanding and renewing--and a few of the locals, whom we meet in varying degrees of their travails and redemption.

Victoria, the young pregnant woman the brothers took in in Plainsong, has gone off to college at Fort Collins, leaving the brothers standing at the kitchen counter, "drinking coffee and talking about how Victoria Roubideaux was doing a hundred and twenty-five miles away from home ... while they themselves were living as usual in the country in Holt County ... with so much less to account for now that she was gone, and a wind rising up and starting to whine outside the house." Much as Seinfeld was called the TV show about nothing, Haruf's books are so low-key and straightforward that a careless reader might miss the fact that they are about everything that life has to offer: love, sorrow, malice, understanding, and the connections that make and keep us human, to name a few.

DJ is an 11-year-old living alone with his grandfather, when he befriends two young girls whose father left for Alaska and decided not to return. Their mother is mired in grief and the three children, abandoned by the adults in their lives, find refuge in an old shed they make habitable. "So for a while the two sisters and the boy lay on the floor under the blankets, reading books in the dim candlelight, with the sun falling down outside in the alley, the three of them talking a little softly, drinking coffee from a thermos, and what was happening in the houses they’d come from, seemed, for that short time, of little importance." One of Haruf's particular gifts is in showing us people who give and take solace wherever it may be found.

An unfortunate disabled couple, parents of two young children, are trying to make their way in a world they cannot fathom. They are assisted by Rose Tyler, their caseworker, who is a friend of Maggie Jones. aggie, who drew Tom Guthrie out of his depression in Plainsong, is once again a catalyst for change when she introduces Rose to Raymond. There is no doubt more to come, as life in Holt, Colorado, continues to evolve and Kent Haruf keeps us informed. --Valerie Ryan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:29 -0400)

A novel of small-town life in the high plains region around Holt, Colorado, follows the challenges, emotional upheaval, tragedies, and intertwined destinies of the local inhabitants as they cope with the changes they encounter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,872,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible