Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to…

Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot- And Cold-Climate… (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Sarah A. Lanier (Author)

Foreign to Familiar is a splendidly written, well researched work on cultures. Anyone traveling abroad should not leave home without this valuable resource! Sarah's love and sensitivity for people of all nations will touch your heart. This book creates within us a greater appreciation for our extended families around the world and an increased desire to better understand them.… (more)
Member:RamziAdcock
Title:Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot- And Cold-Climate Cultures
Authors:Sarah A. Lanier (Author)
Info:McDougal Publishing Company (2000), Edition: 1ST, 128 pages

Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot - And Cold - Climate Cultures by Sarah A. Lanier (2000)

I didn't have a clue before reading this book. I just thought I did. It all makes sense to me now! Having a "cold climate" background, various "hot climate" friends and family often left me confused and bemused. An excellent bridge to understanding different cultures and the reason they are different. In the melting pot that is America, this should be required reading for EVERYONE! All teachers and politicians especially but also required reading for high school and college students. Misunderstandings can arise from the everyday little things that we take for granted and yet another culture does not. Do your part to promote world understanding and unity! Get this book! Easy to read and common sense (which is anything but common)!

(I notice that a lot of tags seem to belong to missionaries but this book has absolutely nothing to do with religion, no mention whatsoever, and everything to do with communication and understanding. So don't let the tags mislead you.) ( )
  PitcherBooks | May 28, 2011 |
Fascinating guide to working multi/cross-culturally. ( )
  cbinstead | Oct 25, 2010 |
Foreign to Familiar is a short book that introduces some differences between hot and cold climate cultures. The material presented is easy to understand theoretically, but more challenging to take on in a practical sense to relate to others in their own contexts. It’s worth reading more than once. ( )
  Sorrel | Oct 6, 2010 |
Relationship v. task orientation, direct v. indirect communication, individualism v. group identity, inclusion v. privacy, different concepts of hospitality, high-context v. low-context cultures, different concepts of time.
  heritagechurch | Oct 4, 2010 |
Easy to read and very necessary for anyone working in an international context ( )
  misskate | Nov 11, 2007 |
To my parents, Chandler and Sallie Lanier, who brought me live in the Middle East as a child, and showed me the joy of loving people of other cultures. They also showed me that as I commit my way to God, He will direct my path.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,807,052 books! | Top bar: Always visible