Just Kids: Visiting a Class for Children…

Just Kids: Visiting a Class for Children With Special Needs

by Ellen B. Senisi

I absolutely loved this book ! I loved it even more knowing that it was written about a true incident that happened in an upstate New York school. This book is told in an omniscient point of view so the audience can view multiple point of views in the book. This book starts off talking about a girl, cindy, who calls ashley, a girl in a special ed class, a retard. Cindy gets sent to the principle's office and is told to spend 30 minutes in a special ed class every day for two weeks. At first Cindy dreads the idea of going into the special ed class because she doesn't know anything about kids with disabilities. Ashley also feels afraid and sad when she realizes that the girl who called her a retard will be spending time in her class. Ashley begins to spend time with the children and learns about the children in the class and their disabilities. it is repeatedly stated in the book that the kids in the special ed class are just the same as kids in other classes but they just need extra help to learn. Cindy ended up being comfortable around the kids and volunteers to help in the class every day as she was doing before as punishment. She later notices a girl from her class picking on ashley and stands up for her. then they become friends. I feel like this is an amazing book to read to kids because often times when children don't understand things they are afraid of them.I feel like this book eliminates this fear because it makes students aware that the children with disabilities are like other kids but they just need more help to learn. ( )
  kristeen1995 | Mar 29, 2017 |
I like that this book is about teaching a lesson as it teaches a lesson. The main character in this story has a negative opinion about people with disabilities and a teacher decides to make her spend the week with a class of children with disabilities. She comes to realize that some people need more attention than others but are very much the same as her. I like that the teacher begins by saying that the children want to do well in school just as much but just have a hard time learning as fast as others do. I think this is important for children to understand. Though this book is lengthy, it does teach a valuable lesson. ( )
  imasson | Nov 10, 2016 |
This book starts off with a girl using a rude word to refer to another girl in the special needs class. The other teachers and the principal decide she needs to spend some time in the special needs class. The young girl gets to learn about different exceptionalities and how kids with special needs are just kids. The book did a great job of giving an overview of the ins and outs of many common types of exceptionalities. I didn't like the outdated lexicon used. There was no person-first language and the portrayals were somewhat sterotyped. I wouldn't want this in my classroom unless it went through a rewrite. ( )
  TaraKennedy | Jan 29, 2015 |
I love, love this book!! I am a special education major and I feel like this will help in my own classroom one day. this books will help teachers and students understand about students with disabilities. ( )
  hart0521 | Jan 28, 2015 |
This book is about being inside the classroom with special needs children. This book is very detailed and has a lot of information that helps you understand the difficulties these young children face day by day. I think this book would be great to have in a classroom because students can see and learn what it's like to live with a disability. ( )
  emilyann93 | Nov 27, 2014 |

There is a special classroom in many schools for children with disabilities. With intimate photos, Ellen Senisi takes readers inside this fascinating but often overlooked place. The story is based on a true incident. A girl teases a disabled child and is asked to spend time in the special-needs classroom. Through her, readers are introduced to an engaging group of kids and to a wide range of disabling conditions--epilepsy, Down syndrome, autism, and more. Readers also see students run an obstacle course in physical therapy, mold clay in art therapy, and learn the sign- language story of the Little Red Hen in speech class. This is a thorough introduction to a special-needs program. It will make children feel familiar with this unique learning environment--one that isn't far from their own classrooms.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:07 -0400)

Second-grader Cindy is assigned to spend part of each day in the class for students with special needs, where she finds out that even though some kids may learn differently or have different abilities, they are all "just kids."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,048,893 books! | Top bar: Always visible