The Gate House by Nelson DeMille

The Gate House (edition 2009)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:Schmerguls
Title:The Gate House
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 800 pages
Tags:fiction, Long Island, the super-rich, Mafia

The Gate House by Nelson DeMille

I enjoyed The Gate House when I first started reading the novel mostly because of the first person narrator’s voice, unfortunately after a few chapters, it crashed and burned like a fighter jet being shot down. This novel was bad on so many different levels that it’s hard to find a starting point. First off, the novel was obscenely long. Three quarters of this novel could be cut off without missing a beat. It seemed like the author could not go more than a few paragraphs without lapsing back into flashbacks. Even worse, he kept regurgitating the same information over and over again. I heard the details of John Sutter’s wife killing Frank Bellarosa about 87,000 times including every aspect of his feelings and what happened and the events surrounding it. Enough already. Secondly, the characters in this novel were awful. There was not a single likeable character. I was liking John Sutter a little at first until the point where despite his ex-wife cheating on him and killing her lover, as well as being depicted as self-centered, spoiled, clueless rich girl, it took him about two seconds to get back together with her after the first time they met in a decade. After that point, the novel was all downhill. The writing was weak. There was very little positive to say about this. Avoid this novel at all costs.
Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Nov 17, 2013 |
This is the sequel to Gold Coast. It has been at least 10 years since I read Gold Coast and I only vaguely remembered the characters and some of the plot. Despite the size of it, nearly 700 pages, I rattled through this. DeMille writes with such humour and his familiarity with Long Island and its residents really comes through.
If I was going to say one thing it would be that some of the choices the characters make are a little baffling. I don't really understand why a woman would move back to the house she formerly lived in with her ex-husband ten years after the had separated. A house which is also neighbouring that of the son of the man she had murdered ten years ago. Nevertheless it good entertainment. ( )
  cathymoore | Jan 24, 2013 |
This is the sequel to The Gold Coast, which I read 2 April 2007 and which I deemd the poorest of the 8 DeMlle novels I had read up to that time. The narrator, John Sutter, is very funny and I admit I often laughed out loud at what he said and did. The Gold Coast ended with both John Sutter and Susan, his wife, in disrepute. This book rehabilitates them and they decide, after ten years, to remarry--to the fierce displeasure of Susan's parents, who have a hundred million dollars but will disinherit Susan (and her kids) if she remarries John, Also the son of the Mafia gangster Susan murdered is intent on revenging his father's death. These two situations provide the buildup to the exciting final chapters of the book. The final chapters do tend to cause one to overlook the fact that many of the events in this 772 -page novel are somewhat wearisome, and when one finishes the book one has a much better feeling than when one finished its predecessor. ( )
  Schmerguls | Dec 30, 2012 |
I thought the first half to three quarters were pretty boring. Then maybe I started to get it. I think everything in the book was meant to be over the top funny. That was how I started to read it, and that is when it sort of became enjoyable. This is a sequel to The Gold Coast. Wish I knew that because then I would have skipped it. ( )
  mainrun | Dec 27, 2012 |
A delightful bit of escapist fluff. Don’t look for any deep characters; there are none. Don’t look for overly complicated plots; there are none. Don’t expect life changing insights; there are none. Do expect, and enjoy, an outsider’s look into a modern Gatsby style “lifestyles of the rich” with the threat of murder hanging over the main characters. Rich language saves this from being completely boring. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Oct 16, 2012 |
How beauteous is this garden; where the flowers of the earth vie with the stars of heaven. What can compare with the vase of yon alabaster fountain filled with crystal water? Nothing but the moon in her fulness, shining in the midst of an unclouded sky!

—Inscription on a wall of Alhambra Castle, Granada, Spain
From Washington Irving, The Alhambra
This book is for James Nelson DeMille, a new chapter in my life.
It is a warm summer evening, and by the light of a full white moon, I, John Whitman Sutter, am watching my wife, Susan Stanhope Sutter, as she rides her horse Zanzibar across the quite acres of Stanhope Hall, her ancestral estate.
Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find. Walt Whitman

#1 New York Times bestselling author Nelson DeMille delivers the long-awaited follow-up to his classic novel The Gold Coast.

When John Sutter's aristocratic wife killed her mafia don lover, John left America and set out in his sailboat on a three-year journey around the world, eventually settling in London. Now, ten years later, he has come home to the Gold Coast, that stretch of land on the North Shore of Long Island that once held the greatest concentration of wealth and power in America, to attend the imminent funeral of an old family servant. Taking up temporary residence in the gatehouse of Stanhope Hall, John finds himself living only a quarter of a mile from Susan who has also returned to Long Island. But Susan isn't the only person from John's past who has reemerged: Though Frank Bellarosa, infamous Mafia don and Susan's ex-lover, is long dead, his son, Anthony, is alive and well, and intent on two missions: Drawing John back into the violent world of the Bellarosa family, and exacting revenge on his father's murderer--Susan Sutter. At the same time, John and Susan's mutual attraction resurfaces and old passions begin to reignite, and John finds himself pulled deeper into a familiar web of seduction and betrayal. In THE GATE HOUSE, acclaimed author Nelson Demille brings us back to that fabled spot on the North Shore -- a place where past, present, and future collides with often unexpected results.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:25 -0400)

When John Sutter's aristocratic wife killed her mafia don lover, John left America and set out in his sailboat on a three-year journey around the world, eventually settling in London. Now, ten years later, he has come home to the Gold Coast, that stretch of land on the North Shore of Long Island that once held the greatest concentration of wealth and power in America, to attend the imminent funeral of an old family servant. Taking up temporary residence in the gatehouse of Stanhope Hall, John finds himself living only a quarter of a mile from Susan who has also returned to Long Island. But Susan isn't the only person from John's past who has reemerged: Though Frank Bellarosa, infamous Mafia don and Susan's ex-lover, is long dead, his son, Anthony, is alive and well, and intent on two missions: Drawing John back into the violent world of the Bellarosa family, and exacting revenge on his father's murderer--Susan Sutter. At the same time, John and Susan's mutual attraction resurfaces and old passions begin to reignite, and John finds himself pulled deeper into a familiar web of seduction and betrayal. The sequel to The Gold Coast.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,787 books! | Top bar: Always visible