The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer

The Book of Lies (2008)

by Brad Meltzer

English (67)  Dutch (1)  All (68)
A thriller and a history lesson in one. The tie in of the Cain and Abel story and the creation of superman was not a good connection. But, boring, boring. At the same time, fast paced action with plenty of narrative twists. And then, there's Cal, abused son who finds his long lost dad and they go treasure hunting. Huh? ( )
  buffalogr | Sep 16, 2017 |
For my review please visit my blog: Martin's View: The Book of Lies. ( )
  Martin_Maenza | Apr 14, 2017 |
Review: The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer.

Usually I find Brad Meltzer’s stories interesting but this one was somewhat frustrating and made little sense. The tie in of the Cain and Abel story and the creation of superman was not a good connection for me. I don’t know how he decided to combine the murder of the father of superman’s creator with the biblical account of Cain and Abel. This book veers off the path of what I have enjoyed in some of Meltzer’s other work.

The author’s characters are so chaotic in chasing after one another, the clues, and the Book of Lies that it seems like the author didn’t stop to wonder if what they are doing makes sense. The more I read things just didn’t make sense. Why would a person with high standards and who has access to other guns shoot a person with the same gun from a previous murder? And why would someone and his secret society need the clues they were chasing when they led to places they should have searched long before? I know, now I’m not making sense.

Even though some of the actions from the characters didn’t make sense within the context of the story, and it failed to deliver much of the high drama that’s included in some of Meltzer books and the end was a let-down for me I read to the end. Despite all these shortcomings, there was enough going on to hold my interest throughout and the book wasn’t a total loss so I decided to give Meltzer a decent rating.
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
A typical Brad Meltzer novel. Enjoyable and quickly paced. ( )
  add_dragon | Mar 26, 2016 |
A thriller and a history lesson in one, THE BOOK OF LIES satisfied my lust for all things Superhero. Written by Brad Meltzer, the story is a fictional treasure hunt wrapped around the true tale of how the comic book hero Superman was created by Jerry Siegel in 1932.
Leaping across the country, trying to outwit each other, three sets of people race to find the Book of Lies, which may contain the secret of immortality. Most of them will not stop at murder to get what they want.
Metzer really packs in the thrills and keeps you guessing as to who is Cain and who is Abel in this modern story.
I recommend this book!
~Stephanie ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
For my mom,
Teri Meltzer,
who still teaches me how fiercely,
how selflessly,
how beautifully,
a parent can love her child
When Calvin Harper was five, his petite, four-foot-eleven-inch mom ripped the pillow from his bed at three a.m. and told him that dust mites were feeding off his skin.
"I know it's been awhile, Mom. But have I got a story for you..."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044657788X, Hardcover)

Brad Meltzer--author of the #1 New York Times bestseller The Book of Fate--returns with his most thrilling and emotionally powerful novel to date.

In Chapter Four of the Bible, Cain kills Abel. It is the world's most famous murder. But the Bible is silent about one key detail: the weapon Cain used to kill his brother. That weapon is still lost to history.

Until now.

Today in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Cal Harper comes face-to-face with his family's greatest secret: his long-lost father, who's been shot with a gun that traces back to Mitchell Siegel's 1932 murder. But before Cal can ask a single question, he and his father are attacked by a ruthless killer tattooed with the anicent markings of Cain. And so begins the chase for the world's first murder weapon.

What does Cain, history's greatest villain, have to do with Superman, the world's greatest hero? And what do two murders, committed thousands of years apart, have in common? This is the mystery at the heart of Brad Meltzer's riveting and utterly intriguing new thriller

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

In 1932, Mitchell Siegel was killed by three gunshots to his chest. While mourning, his son dreamed of a bulletproof man and created the world's greatest hero: Superman. And like Cain's murder weapon, the gun used in this unsolved murder has never been found. Today in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Cal Harper comes face-to-face with his family's greatest secret: his long-lost father, who's been shot with a gun that traces back to Mitchell Siegel's 1932 murder. But before Cal can ask a single question, he and his father are attacked by a ruthless killer tattooed with the ancient markings of Cain.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,730,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible