Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder: A…

Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder: A Mystery (Oscar Wilde Mysteries) (edition 2008)

by Gyles Brandreth

Title:Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder: A Mystery (Oscar Wilde Mysteries)
Authors:Gyles Brandreth
Info:Touchstone (2008), Edition: Original, Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:mystery, alternate history

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death by Gyles Brandreth

English (11)  French (1)  All languages (12)
Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death is the second novel in the Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries, a series of books about Oscar Wilde as a Sherlock-Holmesian detective by Gyles Brandreth.

Robert Sherard tells the story of how Oscar Wilde invites a bunch of people to a dinner (among them Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker, E.W. Hornung, Alfred Douglas aka Bosie, his brother Francis Douglas, and Charles Brookfield), where they play a game of “murder”: every person should name one person they would murder if they got the chance. After the dinner, the people on the list start dying one by one in the exact same sequence. That gives Oscar Wilde a tight time frame to find the murderer among his guests – before his own name comes up.

Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death was an entertaining read and a definite improvement on the first novel. I enjoyed it.

Read more on my blog: http://kalafudra.com/2015/09/21/oscar-wilde-and-the-ring-of-death-gyles-brandret... ( )
  kalafudra | Oct 13, 2015 |
Lacks much of the first one's charm. ( )
  sageness | Feb 7, 2014 |
I haven't read the first book, but that doesn't really seem to matter. This one is light and easy to read, and has a few well known people as characters: Wilde, Conan Doyle and Stoker, most notably. The narrator character isn't very distinctive -- pages sometimes seem to go by without an 'I' in the narrative, which is sometimes quite odd when the 'I' reappears.

There's not really much substance to it, and the motives seem quite thin, but it's entertaining enough to follow. Wilde is very Sherlock Holmes-like, as a detective -- all-knowing, and not revealing all he knows.

I wouldn't say no to reading the first book, or any sequels, but I'm not in a hurry to seek them out, either. I could give it three stars ("liked it"), since I didn't find anything egregiously wrong with it, but I didn't find anything I loved about it, either. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book gets points for being a murder mystery about Oscar Wilde; I enjoyed the setting and writing. However, it didn't totally live up to its premise. Particularly, I thought the large cast of characters was established clunkily, the first-person Watson-like narrator was rather irritatingly non-present in his own life, and the murder mystery itself not particularly elegant. It also really bothered me that none of the characters, including Wilde, were particularly proactive about what appeared to be a serial killer on the loose, and kept chalking things up to coincidence.

It's possible that some of the problems I had with the characters are due to the fac that I couldn't get hold of the first book in the series; mystery novels are usually meant to stand alone, but possibly we got to know the narrator, for instance, better in the first volume. ( )
  raschneid | Mar 31, 2013 |
It was fun to follow Oscar and his friends around England. Obviously, the book was very well researched, even including a few historical footnotes. Amusing innuendos and witticisms are on every page. As a mystery though, it lacked tension and there weren't enough clues to keep the reader engaged in unraveling the puzzle. The evidence, once the answer is unveiled, so it is "fair" by mystery terms but the mystery still feels dilute in a way. ( )
2 vote cammykitty | Nov 4, 2012 |
Would you like to know the great drama of my life? It is that I have put my genius into my life ... I have put only my talent into my works. - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
To Merlin and Emma
It was Sunday 1 May 1892, a cold day, though the sun was bright.
The truth is: I love superstitions, Robert. They are the colour element of thought and imagination. They are the opponents of common sense. Common sense is the enemy of romance. Leave us some unreality. Do not make us offensively sane.
Published in US as "Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder"

"This, the second in Gyles Brandreth's series of Victorian murder mysteries featuring Oscar Wilde, opens at the Cadogan Hotel, London, in May 1892. Wilde - at the height of his fame and fortune - cannot know what he has begun when he proposes a game of 'Murder', in which each of his dinner guests must list the names of those they would most like to kill. It is only a game, but within hours the fourteen 'victims' begin to die, one by one." "Wilde and his confidantes, Robert Sherard and Arthur Conan Doyle, realise the murderer is among their party. In a race against time, Wilde must take action before he becomes the next victim."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,898,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible