James Herriot's Cat Stories by James Herriot

James Herriot's Cat Stories (1994)

by James Herriot

English (15)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
Heartwarming true stories of an English vet and the feline friends he met throughout his career.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 29, 2017 |
A delightful little book that I'm going to keep in my guest bedroom. Short, charming stories about cats in Herriot's English countryside veterinary practice. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
How heartwarming that every one of these cats found a loving home. Though cruelty & abandonment are mentioned, no cat in this collection ever hears 'oh gosh, what are we going to do, there are so many cats around already.' I do wish they'd all get spayed or neutered though, especially the colony being fed by 'Mrs. Bond.'

Nice collection. I would like to find out how much is 'new' though. If any. This had the story of Moses, which is also in a picture-book. And I believe that many of the 'distinct works' are actually just compilations. It would be nice to find a definitive catalog. That is to say, I could imagine giving this book to a Herriot fan who has read all the big books, and that fan being disappointed because she's read all the stories before in those books. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This lovely book by English country veterinarian James Herriot is a collection of short stories about some of the special cats and their people that Herriot had the pleasure to know during his 50 years of veterinary practice. Two of his own cats, Ginny and Olly, are the subjects of 3 of the stories. The brother and sister kittens were brought to the Herriot's yard by their feral mother and they continued their parent's feral ways. They gratefully ate the food placed on the garden wall but would not let the Herriots touch them. Ginny and Olly remained outside cats sleeping in an open shed on straw and never venturing inside the house. After awhile Mrs. Herriot was able to pet the cats while they ate but the cats kept a careful eye on James who resorted to subterfuge and a fishing net to capture the cats when they needed medical treatment. Months of patience finally rewarded the elderly vet when the animals finally allowed James to stroke their fur. There are other charming stories in the book about cats and owners with enormous hearts and deep love for each other. Cat lovers will enjoy this book immensely. ( )
  Ellen_R | Jan 15, 2016 |
I’m not much of a cat person (I’m allergic, so have never spent a lot of time around them), but I still found this collection of vignettes about the various cats Herriot has come across both in his private and professional life as a veterinary surgeon in Yorkshire just charming. I fell in love with Herriot’s first memoir, All Creatures Great and Small, and read his next two eagerly. This slim volume concentrates specifically on his feline friends (and patients). The stories are brief and tender and funny and touching.

I listened to the audio version, read by Christopher Timothy. I found his delivery painfully slow to my ears. I suspect I would have read the traditional format in about 90 minutes, but the audio book takes 3 discs and 3 hours, and I found my attention wandering.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Holmes, LesleyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cats have always played a large part in my life, first when I was a boy in Glasgow, then as a practising veterinary surgeon, and now, in my retirement, they are still there, lightening my days.

Between these covers, teller and tales finally meet in a warm and joyful new collection that will bring delight to the hearts of readers the world over: James Herriot's Cat Stories. Here are Buster, the kitten who arrived on Christmas; Alfred, the cat at the sweet shop; little Emily, who lived with the gentleman tramp; and Olly and Ginny, the kittens who charmed readers when they first appeared at the Herriots' house in the worldwide bestseller Every Living Thing. And along with these come others, each story as memorable and heartwarming as the last, each told with that magical blend of gentle wit and human compassion that marks every word from James Herriot's pen.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:25 -0400)

Between these covers, teller and tales finally meet in a warm and joyful new collection that will bring delight to the hearts of readers the world over:James Herriot's Cat Stories. Here are Buster, the kitten who arrived on Christmas; Alfred, the cat at the sweet shop; little Emily, who lived with the gentleman tramp; and Olly and Ginny, the kittens who charmed readers when they first appeared at the Herriots' house in the worldwide bestsellerEvery Living Thing. And along with these come others, each story as memorable and heartwarming as the last, each told with that magical blend of gentle wit and human compassion that marks every word from James Herriot's pen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,490,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible