Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film…

Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath

by Steven Goldman

Funny, touching and a great YA story from a teen boy's point-of-view. ( )
  District13 | Apr 5, 2013 |
It was funny and well written and I couldn’t stop reading. David. Just David was most compelling. It was well written, but I did come across many punctuation errors and typos. The title is really long. It’s longer than the book! AHS/KG
  edspicer | May 19, 2010 |
Authentic teen voice, but not much new and unusual here. ( )
  GaylDasherSmith | Mar 5, 2010 |
I really wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but it turns out I was wrong. It's a very cute coming of age story about a boy whose best friend comes out to him. It deals with all sorts of issues relating to how to deal with your best friend being gay. Goldman also tosses in a bit of humor, to keep things from getting too serious. My only complaint is that the cover really takes away from the book. ( )
  callmecayce | Feb 16, 2010 |
Mitchell Wells is a normal, somewhat geeky, honors class junior and even if his life is unexciting, at least it is not totally horrible. However, his life is in for a lot of changes when his best friend David tells him he's gay, he decides that he simply cannot read The Grapes of Wrath and he decides to do a claymation project instead of a book report.

This was a great "feel good" young adult novel to read on a beautiful spring day! It was very funny in parts and had me chuckling throughout. It also had some touchingly serious parts. The story is told completely from Mitch's point of view but since he is such an empathetic character we can actually identify with and feel for many of the others, especially his best friend David, who is struggling to work out issues of his own. I really enjoyed everyone in the story, from Mitch and David, right down to Mitch's bossy sister and pompous English teacher.

One of the parts I found very funny was entitled "The Masturbation Chapter" where Mitch attempts to read Steinbeck's novel and ends up with a bunch of allegories for...well the title of the chapter.

This is a wonderfully funny story that was very enjoyable to read. Highly recommended! ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Apr 24, 2009 |

Mitch, a shy and awkward high school junior, negotiates the difficult social situations he encounters, both with girls and with his best friend David, after David reveals to him that he is gay.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,085,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible