The year we disappeared : a father-daughter…

The year we disappeared : a father-daughter memoir (2008)

by Cylin Busby, John Busby

In 1979, Cylin was 9-years old. Her father, John, was police officer in a town in Massachusetts. He was shot in the face and survived, but – even though he was certain who was behind it – the police seemed to not be pursuing it. John believed the person behind the shooting was a local well-known criminal, Raymond Meyer, who also had connections at the police department and was known to be untouchable. Even so, some of the officers, including John, still tried to bring Ray to justice for various crimes.

I thought this was very good. Frustrating about the corruption in the police department and not being able to do anything about Ray for so many different offenses. The viewpoint went back and forth between Cylin and John, so you could read about the happenings from each person's perspective. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 21, 2016 |
Corruption in the police department leads to the attempted murder of John Busby. The family then lives in fear under armed guards, until they decide this is no way to live. Great book! ( )
  dara85 | Sep 6, 2014 |
Officer John Busby was on his way to work as a police officer on Cape Cod when he was ambushed from a moving vehicle. The injuries he sustained that day in 1979 resulted in months and months of painful reconstructive surgery and healing. Beyond the physical injury was the damage done to his family: he, his wife and three children were forced to live under heavy police protection, as the would-be killer might come after any of them at any time.

This tale of a family whose life is turned upside-down is told as a memoir, the chapters alternating between John's recollections and those of his daughter, Cylin, who was nine years old at the time of the events. This format works well, as we see the same chronology seen through different eyes: the rage and pain of the father, and the confusion and dismay of his young daughter.

The Year We Disappeared does contain some rather disturbing description of the shooting and the injuries sustained, and for some young readers this may be hard to take. But overall, this book is suitable for anyone, say, tenth grade to adult. The writing is direct in a refreshing way: reading it, we feel as though we're getting the unadorned truth, not a literary effort. Cylin's writing, especially, is evocative, bringing in elements of childhood to which I could easily relate. That helps bring the family to life on the printed page.

This is a tale of adversity and of survival, with a good dose of suspense, since every bump in the night is a potential source of terror. Still, this isn't a thriller -- it's the story of a family determined to survive, together. It's well worth reading.
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
I was surprised that this was classified as a YA book, but after I read it, I realized that it was good that I read the YA version. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book, and it turned out to be not at all what I expected. I am glad this was a YA book, because a memoir with this content for adults could have been extremely, and unnecessarily violent.

After starting to read, I realized that it might be a little violent and not my cup of tea. I read past the most difficult part and I have to say that the authors handle the physical parts very well. They don't idolize violence and settle, quite well, into a realistic telling of real people dealing with an unbelievable tragedy. I found that I really got a sense of the fear that developed as the situation unfolded as well as the coping skills the family developed to deal with the fear.

The back and forth of father and daughter is well done and not gimmicky at all. I also think the feelings the authors describe seem quite real. It seems authentic the way the dad thinks about keeping his family safe while the daughter is trying to puzzle out what is going on in her family. I think the reasoning she does, based on the information she gets from her mother and other family, shows how children try and create answers in stressful situations even if they don't have all the information.

I was glad the authors selected a short time period and included an epilogue rather than trying to write about the rest of their lives. I would have liked a little bit longer epilogue in order to know things like did Cylin and Amelia stay in touch? ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
The Year We Disappeared is about a extraordinary family. After the father tried to get killed, the family has to stay under the radar. Who shot him? Why? Where did the shooter go? Will the father ever get better after the accident? Read The Year We Disappeared to find out.

It's such a good book. It's not too long, and it's an easier book to read. I got super involved with it. Such a great book.
  br13mast | May 1, 2013 |

Cylin Busbyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Busby, Johnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Mom -- C.B.

I dedicate this book to my family:
Polly, Eric, Shawn, and Cylin--the ultimate reason to keep on keeping on
--J.B.
Prologue
When my dad dies, his body will go to the Harvard Medical School at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, though I suspect they are mostly interested in his head.
Chapter One:
On August 31, 1979, we were supposed to go see The Muppet Movie.

Cylin and John Busby share the challenges they faced after their family was forced into hiding to protect themselves from a killer who had already shot John, a police officer, and was determined to finish the job.
[retrieved 11/14/12 from loc.gov (Library of Congress)]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible