The Solitudes (Book One of The Aegypt Cycle)…

The Solitudes (Book One of The Aegypt Cycle) (edition 2007)

by John Crowley

Member:shinigami
Title:The Solitudes (Book One of The Aegypt Cycle)
Authors:John Crowley
Info:Overlook Books (2007), Paperback, 427 pages
Collections:Storage
Tags:box: 9, fiction

Ægypt by John Crowley

Possession: A Romance by A. S. Byatt (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: Possession reminded me quite strongly of the intellectual joys I experienced from page one of The Solitudes. I think both books deal with questions of knowledge (what is known, what can be known) and possibility.
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (LamontCranston)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (Crypto-Willobie)
    Doctor Mirabilis by James Blish (Crypto-Willobie)

Pierce Moffett leaves his job as a history lecturer in New York and meeting up with a former student settles in a small town where he plans to write history from the viewpoint of Renaissance occultists and also to research a local novelist who included Dr Dee and Giordano Bruno in his works.

I had very mixed reactions to this book. There were parts which were intriguing and mind stretching, where I couldn't wait to see how the story would develop and there were lots of rabbitholes to go down and then there were parts where the ornate poeticism just made feel I couldn't take much more and want to give it up.

It did not help matters that I thought this was the complete series in an omnibus but turns out to be just the first volume. I bought the second volume in a burst of optimism but I'm not sure whether I want to continue or start something else. ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 19, 2017 |
I'm banking on this book grabbing me before too long. I'm nearly halfway though and it hasn't happened yet. It's the first of a 4-part series and I am so sure I'll like it that I've already bought the other three. I'm a big John Crowley fan, ever since reading his classic -- Little, Big -- and the reviews and descriptions of this series sound wonderful. Stay tuned... ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this one, but couldn't really get into it. Took it on vacation - maybe that's the problem - maybe it's not a vacation book. ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
Not any easy read as there are some rather dense sections chock full of enigmatic rambling, but otherwise I enjoyed this book by the author of _Little, Big_. Suffice to say it's not exactly linear or plot driven. "Once, the world was not as it has since become." When Crowley is good, he's great! ( )
1 vote dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
part one of a tetralogy by the extraordinary author of Little Big... if John Dee and Giordano Bruno interest you at all, this (for all its tongue in cheek)certainly will.
cf. The Solitudes, above right. ( )
  crowspeaks | Oct 16, 2015 |

John Crowleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Avon, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Horne, MatildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lebailly, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There were angels in the glass, two four six many of them, each one shuffling into his place in line like an alderman at the Lord Mayor's show.
This Work, originally published as Ægypt in 1987, was reissued by Overlook Press as The Solitudes in 2007.

Pierce Moffett, an out-of-work teacher, and Rosie Rasmussen, a recent divorcee, are drawn to the house of Fellowes Kraft, a historical romance writer, and discover evidence of an alternate history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,535,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible