In the Shadow of Lions (Chronicles of the…

In the Shadow of Lions (Chronicles of the Scribe, Book 1)

by Ginger Garrett

I almost gave up on this book while reading the first few chapters, but I'm glad I didn't. While I confused at times, I wanted to see how it ended. Of course I knew Anne Boleyn was beheaded, but I didn't know why other than she didn't produce a male heir. I didn't get into the modern story at all and sometimes wasn't into Rose's. I'm not sure if I'll read more of this author's books, but I am interested in more about the Reformation. I thought the author's notes on the story and the discussion questions were good. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 24, 2017 |
This book is unusual in the way it is set up. We start in the modern times and then the point of view switches back and forth between modern and Anne Boleyn's time. Anne's character is often flat and confused about all the things happening around her, so she's definitely not portrayed like she is in other books. It's an okay read, but multiple points of views are a bit confusing, especially when they hardly seem to connect. ( )
  CinaChilders | Feb 10, 2014 |
I remember now that some of her writing is not the greatest but I like the story and find that it is a good reminder to be thankful fire the freedom of religion we enjoy in this country. ( )
  adaynasmile | Oct 21, 2013 |
I gave up. Couldn't figure out what was supposed to be happening. ( )
  pdgarrett48 | Oct 25, 2012 |
This is another first for me. I have read a lot of fiction but never Historical fiction. It isn't that the genre wasn't entertaining, it was just a genre I never looked to for reading enjoyment. Ginger Garrett's Shadow of Lions definitely made me rethink picking up historical fiction.

The book is a tapestry of four stories making one whole. We are lead through very visual language through the rise of Anne Boleyn from Queen Catherine's lady in waiting to King Henry the VIII's strong desire. The story gives us another side to Anne as a devout Christian seeking the Lord's will, and her life being used to be part of a spark that leads to change in the very way people relate to God. This was at first hard for me to swallow, because I, like so many others, have only related to Anne Boleyn as a seductress and manipulator. What a refreshing change!

We also follow Rose on her journey as a fallen woman who has experienced the full force of God's redemptive grace. Watching her life change and grow is touching.

Ginger Garrett has written a magnificent piece. The characters are clearly drawn and become very real to the reader. I loved the way she made the world come alive with descriptive language that was full and rich with even the scents of the city, people, and gardens clearly described. Shadow of Lions is a book that I will definitely want to keep in my library. ( )
  KellyBlackwell | Mar 30, 2009 |
And Job answered God ... I admit I once lived by rumors of you; now I have it all firsthand ... I'll never again live on crusts of hearsay, crumbs of rumor." Job 42 MSG
For my Dad
Tomorrow, someone else will die in my bed.

"I am the first writer, The Scribe. My books lie open before the Throne, and someday will be the only witness of your people and their time in this world. The stories are forgotten here, and the Day draws close. I will tell you one of my stories. You will record it."

So begins the narration of one such angel in this sweeping historical tale set during the reign of England's Henry VIII. It is the story of two women, their guardian angels, and a mysterious, subversive book . a book that outrages some, inspires others, and launches the Protestant Reformation.

The devout Anne Boleyn catches the eye of a powerful king and uses her influence to champion an English translation of the Bible—Scriptures the common people could read for themselves. Meanwhile, Rose, a broken, suicidal woman of the streets, is moved to seek God when she witnesses Thomas More's public displays of Christian charity, ignorant of his secret life spent eradicating the same book, persecuting anyone who dares read it.

Historic figures come alive in this thrilling story of heroes and villains, saints and sinners, angels and mortals ... and the sacred book that will inspire you anew.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

"During the reign of England's Henry VIII ... the devout Anne Boleyn catches the eye of a powerful king and uses her influence to champion an English translation of the Bible. Meanwhile, Rose, a broken, suicidal woman of the streets, is moved to seek God when she witnesses Thomas More's public displays of Christian charity, ignorant of his secret life spent eradicating the same book, persecuting anyone who dares read it"--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible