The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

English (115)  German (1)  All (116)
I find some books that bounce between two eras annoying but this is not one of them. The Winter Sea switches from the present time to 1708, during the Jacobite uprising to return the exiled King James to Scotland and reclaim his crown.

Kearsley’s writing is compelling, mixing history and adventure with a bit of the supernatural and a touch of romance. I loved the setting and the characters. Along the way I learned quite a bit of Scottish history.

This is my second Kearsley book and look forward to reading more by this author.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A book within a book...

I thought this book had a lot of similarities to "The Outlander" books, in that both are historical romances that have a way of connecting both a modern day plot with the rise (and fall) of the jaccobites of the 1700's and returning the deserving Stewart King(s) to their rightful throne. I really enjoyed the story, and the "story within a story", if you will, and although I do find the whole concept of specific memories being passed down through genetics and inherited by relatives generations later, to be a bit far fetched and unbelievable, it was a creative way to tie the two stories together. This was the first book I've read by Susanna Kearsley and one of the better books I've read in some time. Five stars, highly recommend. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
Oh dear God! Why do so many people like this book? I love history, I especially love European history. However, after my fifth attempt at trying to finish this book I've decided I'd rather lobotomise myself with a fork.

To begin with, it draaaaagggggsssss. Carrie (mc) writes/dreams a chapter, goes for a wander somewhere, has a mundane conversation with her love interest, wonders about her genealogy and then repeats the process over and over and over again.

Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |
The Winter Sea. Susanna Kearsley. 2010. I don’t know when I have read such a romantic historical novel! Romance novels are not my usual choice, but I love European history, and the blurb on this book caught my eye. A successful young Canadian novelist visits her agent in Scotland and becomes interested in or is drawn to the ruins of Slains Castle on the coast. The more she finds out about it the more she wants to base her latest novel on the inhabitants of the castle who were involved with the 1708 attempt of the Scots and French to replace Queen Ann with the exiled James Stewart. Through her research Carrie leans that these Scots were her relatives and she feels an uncommon sense of deja vu. When she is not lost in of her landlord. So we have a modern romance based on an ancient one! ( )
  judithrs | Aug 28, 2016 |
If you don’t want to visit Scotland now, you will after reading this book. Bestselling author, Carrie McClelland has come to Scotland to do some background research for a book she’s writing about James Stewart and his supporters who are hoping to return him to the throne of England. She can’t get inspired. A wrong turn takes her to Slains Castle where she feels an instant bond to the past. She rents a small cottage close to the castle and not only does her story find a main character, she finds herself being courted by two brothers. Throw in a little historical fantasy as she sees the past come to life in her dreams and a cold, desolate landscape, and you’ve got the makings for a good book to curl up with on a winter’s day. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 21, 2016 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

514 wanted5 pay5 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible