The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (1)

1,278996,154 (4.02)1 / 118
Title:The Winter Sea
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (98)  German (1)  All languages (99)
Carrie McClelland hopes to write another best-selling novel about the exiled Stewart King to the Scottish throne. As Carrie writes her novel, she finds herself slipping back in time as a true witness to the events of her distant relatives. ( )
  creighley | Oct 24, 2015 |
I had high hopes for this book. I wanted something to remind me of Jamie and Clair in the Outlander. But this didn't quite make it. Had I read this first - I think it would have been fine. But my hopes were set a bit too high!!

This is the story of a writer (Carrie) researching the Slains Castle in Scotland for a book on the reinstatement of King James. She is mysteriously drawn to the castle as she works on the book - and discovers that her attention is taken by a young girl named Sophia. A girl she 'sees' at the castle. No - not as a ghost. Instead Carrie is somehow channeling Sophia and watching the story unfold in front of her. That is interesting and all - but becomes a bit more unsettling when further research shows her that Sophia was a real person and actually was at the castle in the time frame she was writing about. It seems that Carrie has discovered a window into the past. Add to that a love story unfolding both in the past at Slains and in Carrie's current life and this makes a pretty good story!

The book is a strong piece of history. The people are real as are the events. It does assume the reader has a rough understanding of Scottish history in the 1700s that I did not have. That made it a bit tricky to really appreciate the history.

Kearsley creates scenes that draw the reader in and invite us to understand history through the characters' eyes. I was just looking for a bit more I guess. ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |
I came across this book as a freebie in my Amazon kindle unlimited subscription. And I am so glad that I did. I have always been a fan of reincarnated memories and "genetic memory," which is a subject that is dear to me. In The Winter Sea, the past comes to life, through an author's writing a book. As Carrie writes a book while staying in a rented cabin in Scotland, near Slains, an old ruin of a castle. While Carrie is writing, she is also remembering memories from her heroine, Sophia. She writes what comes to her mind, then finds out that what she is writing is historically accurate, contrary to her fiction genre she normally adheres to in her writing. Romance blooms and touches both the author and the heroine and brings a timeless tale of love lived through time back to life and in your face.

A very well written novel that compares to Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati and many other very-well known authors that truly touch the hearts and minds of their fans. I look forward to buying and reading every book by Susanna Kearsley. ( )
  JillJennings | Aug 25, 2015 |
It took me a little while to find the rhythm of this book, as I'm not used to Historical Fiction about a period I'm not already familiar with. I usually stick to my Victorians, and Jacobites in early 18th Century Scotland aren't something I know much about. So there was a fair bit of backstory at the start, but not too much and it was handled pretty deftly. But as the story of a present-day historical novelist converges with the story of her ancestor who lived that history, the pace picks up and I found myself enraptured, and by the end I was quite moved. My own SF/F/Paranormal/Gothic Heart *really* wanted it to be ghostier or time-travelly. But asking questions about Genetic Memory is also interesting. And by that time, I was so involved in the characters and their stories there was no room for disappointment.

Recommended for readers of Historical Fiction and Romance, but don't expect too much steaminess here. More swooniness. And it's actually very hard to make me swoon. And Kearsley does it. I was swept away. ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Carrie knows how to weave a tale of fact and fiction, mixing historical narratives with imaginary characters upon a page but are they truly make-believe?

Bestselling author, Carrie McClelland is writing a novel on the Jacobite Uprising of 1708. Originally, she thought France was the place to write it but from the moment she steps foot on the Scottish shore, her plans change. Will the exiled James Stewart be able to reclaim the English throne with the help of Scottish soldiers and spies? Carrie knows how history unfolded, thanks to her research, but upon writing she soon discovers her fictional musings are more than mere daydreams.

It is two stories in one—present day and 1708—part historical fiction, part fantasy and part romance. I have read several books by the author and enjoy the journey she takes me through- try not to over analyze too much (genetic memory) and just enjoy the ride! As a history buff, who was looking forward to a light girlie read, this fit the bill. ((It also helps that I love Scotland and anything about the Jacobite rebellions)) ( )
  Shuffy2 | Jul 17, 2015 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

571 wanted5 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible