The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (78)  German (1)  All languages (79)
Such a perfect blend of history and romance with a new concept I had never heard of before - "genetic memory" a perfect way to explain the knowing without the kookieness! ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 4, 2014 |
I am really not so sure I will have the proper words to do this book justice. It was an absolutely beautiful story, with all the elements that I love best. This is historical fiction at its finest, properly researched with just the right amount of imagination to give it a little extra.

I was slightly unsure how I was going to feel about it, because I found the actual historical aspect involving King James and the Jacobites and the war all a bit confusing in the beginning. Luckily, Kearsley included a very great scene where a character broke it down a bit, and from that point on I was able to follow along and truly disappear into the lives of the characters. And oh- what lovely characters they all were! Many times, when books go back and forth between time periods and character point of views, it can get slightly muffled in a reader’s mind. That absolutely never happened in this book. The author truly made me care deeply about all the people I met on my journey throughout Slains.

I think that one of my favorite parts of the whole story was the creativity behind having a protagonist doing research for her own novel, coming across this interesting secret history that traces back in her own lineage, and being able to follow along with her process of writing and learning about her own ancestor. It was executed flawlessly. I am in love with books about books and books within books, so this was absolutely my cup of tea. I can’t wait to read it again, and I highly recommend that others pick it up and do the same. ( )
  raisedbybooks | Mar 12, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this captivating historical fiction and romance novel. Unfortunately, I read it with a four-week break (and four other books) in between, but I was able to get back into it when I returned to it. It would have made great travel reading if I hadn't already been more than half-way through it when I left on my trip! ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
First of all, how has this book been out since 2010 and not been in my hands yet?! Also, I think this is going in my top 10 favorites. I think I need more from Susanna Kearsley.

This book was recommended to me by people with “if you like Outlander, you’ll like Winter Sea”. I am usually skeptical of these types of recommendations because I’m a fan of Outlander and I know that those books don’t fit neatly into one genre or even two. I expected a cheesy time travel novel, a raunchy Scottish romance, or a boring historical fiction. I’ll admit that I was wrong to judge. This book totally came through on that promise and surprised me! This book is kind of science fiction…sort of. It is a romance but in a sweet way that doesn’t go into heavy breathing descriptions. It is a historical fiction that managed to teach me Scottish-English history without boring me. I will now recommend this for my fellow Outlander fans.

I’m still recovering from this one. I got to the end of the book and I was sobbing…and I know you are wondering: happy tears? sad tears? Well, the answer is BOTH- ha! No spoilers here! My husband gave me a consoling hug when he saw the mess that I was and then asked me if I was pregnant. (nope!)

This book is a two-fer. The main character of the book is an author, Carrie, written in first person. Carrie is writing a book and ends up in Scotland to write it and do her research. The characters start speaking to her and the story starts to flow, but when she goes to research for facts, she begins to realize that much of what she is writing is not coming from her imagination, but rather a sort of memory that she thinks is Sophia’s, her ancestor. When Carrie begins to write, we get to read Sophia’s story too (in third person). Both are compelling, though I admit it took me a while to get completely hooked, and by the end I was completely invested in all the characters and felt like I was saying goodbye to friends at the end.

The dual perspective was easy to transition through and I didn’t ever feel confused by the switch in the time periods. Kearsley wove the stories together so well too that though it could have seemed like two separate novels, it was the opposite. There was a beautiful transition each time the stories switched. There are parts of the book too, that could have gone the way of cliche’ but Kearsley navigated it with such deft skill that instead of making me roll my eyes, it carried me along and I lost my heart to it. This book was a very unique and novel take on “time travel”. I’m so excited to read her other books! ( )
  booksbydtheend | Jan 12, 2014 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible