The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

Recently added byprivate library, Alexis_D., aprilkhaito, avalinah, Amanda105, myojencards, CynthiaMR, judithrs

English (112)  German (1)  All languages (113)
The Winter Sea. Susanna Kearsley. 2010. I don’t know when I have read such a romantic historical novel! Romance novels are not my usual choice, but I love European history, and the blurb on this book caught my eye. A successful young Canadian novelist visits her agent in Scotland and becomes interested in or is drawn to the ruins of Slains Castle on the coast. The more she finds out about it the more she wants to base her latest novel on the inhabitants of the castle who were involved with the 1708 attempt of the Scots and French to replace Queen Ann with the exiled James Stewart. Through her research Carrie leans that these Scots were her relatives and she feels an uncommon sense of deja vu. When she is not lost in of her landlord. So we have a modern romance based on an ancient one! ( )
  judithrs | Aug 28, 2016 |
If you don’t want to visit Scotland now, you will after reading this book. Bestselling author, Carrie McClelland has come to Scotland to do some background research for a book she’s writing about James Stewart and his supporters who are hoping to return him to the throne of England. She can’t get inspired. A wrong turn takes her to Slains Castle where she feels an instant bond to the past. She rents a small cottage close to the castle and not only does her story find a main character, she finds herself being courted by two brothers. Throw in a little historical fantasy as she sees the past come to life in her dreams and a cold, desolate landscape, and you’ve got the makings for a good book to curl up with on a winter’s day. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 21, 2016 |
Loved it! Read it whilst on vacation in England and could hardly bear to put it down and pay attention to the Tower of London, etc. Can't wait to visit Scotland now. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
If you like literary historical romances, read this without reading my review or the description. ?I bet you'll like it.

spoiler:

A little too long, a little too heavy on the romance, it seems, from getting as far as page 54 and deciding it's just not for me. ?áIt also hooked me, nonetheless, as the writing seemed graceful, the characters interesting, and the modern setting absolutely fascinating. ?á(The historical setting not so much... I think I would have read the whole thing if the focus had been just the writer's story, and not Sophia's story, too.) ?áI think too much is given away in the description, too.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Bestselling author Carrie McClelland comes from France, where she is working on a book related to the 1708 attempted return of James Stewart to regain his throne. On the way to the christening of her friend and agent's baby, she takes a side road and is drawn to Slains Castle.

Deciding to move from France to Scotland, she rents a cottage near Slains and finds her connection to the old castle is closer even than her ancestor who once lived there.

This is not a gothic, time travel or a torrid romance. It is a flawlessly crafted novel set in two time periods with a romantic relationship in each. The plot is so well done and flows beautifully between the two time periods. In spite of that I had to give it 3 stars from my perspective. History and historical romance buffs will devour it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the book or the author's writing style... it just wasn't something that I was all that interested in. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

514 wanted5 pay5 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,224,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible