The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (1)

1,161916,993 (4.02)1 / 117
Member:Limelite
Title:The Winter Sea
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:e-Books, Your library
Tags:Fiction, historical fiction, magical realism

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (90)  German (1)  All languages (91)
Although the history details were a bit more than I would have liked, it all came together in the end for a beautiful story. I love this author's writing and will definitely read the 2nd book in this series. ( )
  Dawn94 | Dec 20, 2014 |
I picked this up at random after reading the back cover,which had me at Scotland, but didn't realize till I got home it had a big old Romance tag on it and I was terrified I had one of THOSE romance novels (ew). Luckily this book is far from trashy romance books with Fabio on the cover, while there is romance in it, it did not make me roll my eyes and gag. This book was beautifully written and well researched and I was totally enthralled by the magic of Cruden Bay and Slains Castle. ( ( )
  reigningstars | Dec 4, 2014 |
Author Carrie McClelland visits Slain Castle and finds that the surroundings seem very familiar to her. She uses the castle as her setting and places a real ancestor as her heroine, and suddenly her book seems to come to life.

This story is past and present with the past set agianst the Jacobites with lots of real people from that time in history. For me I don't really know much about this period as I normally read about the Tudors. I can see that there has been a lot of research done for this story. Although I do enjoy history I felt for me the best parts of the book was the present parts with Carrie rather than the past with Sophia. The past had far too many characters and I did have trouble keeping up with who was who.

I have read several books by Susanna Kearsley and enjoy what she does with the time travel, past and present. Her books can be very much like Daphnue du Maurier at times and are very interesting to read and quite enjoyable. This one I didn't enjoy so much. I felt it went on to long and I was getting quite bored. It didn't help really that I don't have a particular interest in that part of history. So I have to say that for me this book started out quite well then just losts it's edge. Shame really as I enjoy the authors books. ( )
  tina1969 | Nov 16, 2014 |
I wasn't quite sure what to expect of this book. The cover intrigued me, it was set in Scotland, and the present day main character is a writer of historical fiction, so I thought I'd give it a try. In the end, it was just OK--a bit too heavy on the romance for my taste. The novel centers around a young, successful writer who has gone to Scotland to do research for a new book that will be based on the life on one of her ancestors. Set in the 18th century and focused on the efforts to bring the Stuarts back to the throne of England, the novel shaped some of the more interesting chapters. The modern-day story involves two handsome Scottish brothers who both are attracted to Carrie, the writer. This I could definitely have done without, and I thought the concept of Carrie channeling the memories of her ancestor was also a bit of a stretch. ( )
  Cariola | Nov 11, 2014 |
Told with dual story lines, one contemporary and one historical, The Winter Sea delivers twice the romance. Carrie McClelland has traveled to Slains Castle in Scotland to soak up the ambiance for her next work of historical fiction. As she starts to write about the 1708 Jacobite invasion, she begins having vivid dreams of her ancestor Sophia Patterson. But are they dreams or ancestral memories? Through her visions of Sophia, Carrie learns of Sophia's passionate love for her husband Moray, and the true story of the betrayal that ended the Jacobite's dreams. As Carrie researches, she also meets and falls in love with her own hero, Graham. Intertwining romance, history, and genealogy, Kearsley has written a tale full of joy and tears where love ultimately triumphs.
  ktoonen | Sep 11, 2014 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible