The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (1)

1,3851025,497 (4.01)1 / 119
Member:Limelite
Title:The Winter Sea
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:e-Books, Your library
Tags:Fiction, historical fiction, magical realism

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (101)  German (1)  All languages (102)
Loved it! A new favorite author! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
I'm a long time fan of Kearsley and I very much enjoyed this book. I love the entertwining story lines and how they interacted. I love the historical mystery aspect of it as well.

I'm just not sure why the child had to be left behind. That was just so sad for me and somehow the characters were ok with it. ( )
  sscarllet | Dec 15, 2015 |
Although I haven't finished this novel I felt the need to add my comments because I just love reading it. Kearsley is a master of building romantic suspense! There is a sense of foreboding that is likely to come from an unexpected source and with the two stories, one the writer's life and the other of her characters, happening simultaneously it's nearly impossible to figure out. I am usually very good at plot development and events in novels, or films for that matter, rarely surprise me but I am loving the thrill ride of The Winter Sea. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |
Carrie McClelland hopes to write another best-selling novel about the exiled Stewart King to the Scottish throne. As Carrie writes her novel, she finds herself slipping back in time as a true witness to the events of her distant relatives. ( )
  creighley | Oct 24, 2015 |
I had high hopes for this book. I wanted something to remind me of Jamie and Clair in the Outlander. But this didn't quite make it. Had I read this first - I think it would have been fine. But my hopes were set a bit too high!!

This is the story of a writer (Carrie) researching the Slains Castle in Scotland for a book on the reinstatement of King James. She is mysteriously drawn to the castle as she works on the book - and discovers that her attention is taken by a young girl named Sophia. A girl she 'sees' at the castle. No - not as a ghost. Instead Carrie is somehow channeling Sophia and watching the story unfold in front of her. That is interesting and all - but becomes a bit more unsettling when further research shows her that Sophia was a real person and actually was at the castle in the time frame she was writing about. It seems that Carrie has discovered a window into the past. Add to that a love story unfolding both in the past at Slains and in Carrie's current life and this makes a pretty good story!

The book is a strong piece of history. The people are real as are the events. It does assume the reader has a rough understanding of Scottish history in the 1700s that I did not have. That made it a bit tricky to really appreciate the history.

Kearsley creates scenes that draw the reader in and invite us to understand history through the characters' eyes. I was just looking for a bit more I guess. ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

571 wanted5 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible