The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (1)

1,5261194,821 (3.99)1 / 133
Member:floating_lush
Title:The Winter Sea
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:read 2013, fiction

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

English (118)  German (1)  All (119)
great historical fiction. I loved the format of the story being told by a present day author writing a book that tells the story - and we get to read her book as she writes it. both sets of characters were equally compelling. loved it! ( )
  mfabriz | Jun 26, 2017 |
There are those rare and treasured books that make you sad when you reach the end, and make you wish you could go right back to the beginning and start again, experiencing the story again for the first time. This was definitely one of those books for me.

Carrie McClelland is an author of historical fiction and is in Scotland to meet with her agent Jane, as well as do research and begin her newest story – the 1708 Jacobite invasion that nearly restored the exiled James VIII to Scotland to reclaim his crown. Slains Castle at Cruden Bay features prominently in the story, so Carrie arranges to rent a cottage nearby with a view of both the sea and the ruins of Slains Castle. When she begins the story however, she is taken by surprise by both her characters and the story. Carrie is then astonished to find that what she believes is her creative fiction is historical fact. She begins to realize she may be experiencing genetic memory of one of her ancestors and their part in the events of 300 years ago.

The chapters alternate between Carrie’s life in modern day and the experiences of her ancestor Sophia in 1708. Usually when a book is written in this manner there is one story I tend to prefer over the other. This was not the case in this book and both storylines were equally well written, entertaining and filled with characters that I cared about. There were also romantic interests in both timelines which were touching and both the conclusions were satisfying.

This story was absolutely wonderful from the first page to the last! I become fully vested in all the characters and was very sorry to find myself at the end. I will definitely be looking for more from this author.
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
‘How much fighting went on because somebody read from the wrong prayerbook. If you and I had lived back then, and you’d been Presbyterian and I Episcopalian, we’d not have stood together on this bridge.’ ( )
  mountie9 | Apr 30, 2017 |
I find some books that bounce between two eras annoying but this is not one of them. The Winter Sea switches from the present time to 1708, during the Jacobite uprising to return the exiled King James to Scotland and reclaim his crown.

Kearsley’s writing is compelling, mixing history and adventure with a bit of the supernatural and a touch of romance. I loved the setting and the characters. Along the way I learned quite a bit of Scottish history.

This is my second Kearsley book and look forward to reading more by this author.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
A book within a book...

I thought this book had a lot of similarities to "The Outlander" books, in that both are historical romances that have a way of connecting both a modern day plot with the rise (and fall) of the jaccobites of the 1700's and returning the deserving Stewart King(s) to their rightful throne. I really enjoyed the story, and the "story within a story", if you will, and although I do find the whole concept of specific memories being passed down through genetics and inherited by relatives generations later, to be a bit far fetched and unbelievable, it was a creative way to tie the two stories together. This was the first book I've read by Susanna Kearsley and one of the better books I've read in some time. Five stars, highly recommend. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,068,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible