The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Series: Slains (1)

1,087837,663 (4.02)1 / 105
Member:floating_lush
Title:The Winter Sea
Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Tags:read 2013, fiction

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (82)  German (1)  All languages (83)
This book was a very enjoyable read. The characters were very well thought out and fun. I especially like the double story and how the time difference was set up and worked out. Going back in time thru memory trances was a unique way to tie the past and present together. I look forward to reading more of this authors books. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes historical romance with a time element linked to the present. ( )
  marysneedle | Jun 19, 2014 |
Wow. This was an amazing book.

I don't think it's a secret that I love the Scottish time period surrounding the Jacobite Uprisings. After all, "Outlander" is my all-time favorite series. So I figured I'd enjoy this book, centered around the doomed '08 Jacobite Uprising.

The book is really two books in one. An author visits the castle Slains in Scotland to begin writing her book about a character involved in the '08. As she writes, she starts to have, for lack of a better work, waking dreams, dreams that allow her to write things that are uncannily real to the history. There's the book that centers around the author, her burgeoning romance with a local historian, and her struggle understanding how she could be having the same memories as her ancestor. Then there's the book about the '08, full on intrigue, betrayals, love, love lost, and all the details in between.

One of the things I loved about this book is it's the first book that succinctly and absolutely explained the '08, the Jacobites, the fight for the crown, and the switching of alliances to me. Anyone who reads historical novels knows how confusing keeping up with who's who can be. There are too many Henry's, Charles's, and Edward's, and the Duke of York is a title, not a person, as the title stays but the name continually changes. "The Winter Sea" did a fabulous job of explaining the '08 and the reasons behind it without bogging things down.

I must admit, I cried at the end, and I truly regretted closing the book when I was done. The hallmark of a 5-Star rating, for me, is missing the characters, and I am already missing them.

Highly recommended.

Lori Anderson

Blog
Shop
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
I came to this book by way of Angie who reviewed it earlier this year. I can see why people compare [a:Susanna Kearsley|486812|Susanna Kearsley|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1245008341p2/486812.jpg] to [a:Diana Gabaldon|3617|Diana Gabaldon|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1213918339p2/3617.jpg], which is great when thinking of [b:Outlander|10964|Outlander (Outlander, #1)|Diana Gabaldon|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1304187141s/10964.jpg|2489796], but this story reminds me more strongly of [b:Possession|41219|Possession|A.S. Byatt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311978255s/41219.jpg|2246190] (the movie, not the book--I've never actually read the book). I love that movie, and I immediately started wondering if anyone has snapped up the movie rights to this one. (If not, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.) Meanwhile, I'll be familiarizing myself with more work by Susanna Kearsley in the future. Loved it! ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |
Carrie McClelland, an established author of historical fiction, arrives in a small coastal Scottish town to begin work on her next novel. She rents an old cottage from a local and settles in, welcomed with open arms into the village and simultaneously into the owner's family. As she commences writing, the story seems to pour forth effortlessly from her fingers as though it were telling itself, and Carrie is both stunned and disturbed when, upon researching further some of what she's written, she discovers names, dates and places that she thought originated in her own imagination were uncannily accurate.

I'd heard positive things about this book the past few years, but hesitated to pick it up, fearing an unsatisfying lack of substance given its "Romance" classification at the library. After reading it, I'd argue that it actually ought to be in general fiction, given that the plot would not cease to have meaning if not for the romantic elements of the story line. The Winter Sea is definitely a page-turner, the sort of book I began reading only on breaks at work, only to find myself toting it home as well, despite already having a book in progress there. I was sincerely disappointed when it ended, wanting more. Happily, it appears to be the first in a series, so I'll be off very shortly to check out the next. ( )
  ryner | May 13, 2014 |
Such a perfect blend of history and romance with a new concept I had never heard of before - "genetic memory" a perfect way to explain the knowing without the kookieness! ( )
  booklovers2 | Apr 4, 2014 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,615,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible