The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

The Winter Sea (original 2008; edition 2010)

by Susanna Kearsley

Authors:Susanna Kearsley
Info:Sourcebooks, Inc. (2010), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Books read, Your library, ebook
Rating:***

The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (2008)

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (Anonymous user)
    Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (ktbarnes)
    The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe (Iudita)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Largely centered around the sea. Both have that bittersweet quality running threw the book
    Time's Legacy by Barbara Erskine (Iudita)
    On a Highland Shore by Kathleen Givens (Iudita)

English (106)  German (1)  All languages (107)
This was an intricate and engaging plot that needed a better editor before it went to print. Unfortunately, there were several gross errors, like having the protagonist "see the rooks flying over the trees" after she'd just said that it was so dark she almost couldn't see her path. (They must have been bats, honey, cause birds don't fly after dark.)

Lots of repetitious phrases too - she described male characters whose eyes "crinkled at the corners" at least a dozen times. These things a good editor would have picked out. The premise of genetic memory was also stretched to the point where I soon quit believing her.

But, after all that's said, I still LOVED the story and fell in love with the characters. The author has an incredible talent with description (she just needs not to repeat things quite so much), so much so that I felt I was there. And when the book DID end, there was a plot-twist that completely blew me away. I was truly sad to finish the book - I didn't want to let the characters go.

Terrible and/or nonexistent editing, but such a lovely story it's hard not to love. Beautiful book and if you're not a writer like me you'll probably never pick up the editorial plunders =/

Frances.S.Brown | Apr 26, 2016 |
Probably would not have listened to this book if it hadn't been presented as something I would like, being an "Outlander" fan. The truth is that it is an entertaining book, but it isn't a thing like or close to Outlander, so don't read it for that reason. But if you like historical novels and are interested in Scottish history, then you will probably enjoy this book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
This was the first historical fiction I have read (aside from historical southern fiction). I have to say that this is going to be my favorite book of the year, and will go into my top 5 of all time. It was absolutely wonderful. The story within a story was told very well, and you got just enough of past and present. There were many heartwrenching moments, and I felt like I was riding the emotional roller coaster right along side Sophia. I am sad that the book has now ended. I was pleased to see at the end that the characters are real people, and many of the events in the book really happened. I am an instant fan of Susanna Kearsley, and will look forward to reading more of her books in the future. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Another wonderful book. Susanna has a way with words and seeming to bring characters to life. Full of intrigue, adventure and romance, it's one of my top favorites. Just when I think I've figured it out, another surprise appears. I can't wait to read more of her books! ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
This was a brilliant piece of historical fiction with romance on the side. I thoroughly enjoyed the author's beautiful writing style and was treated to vivid images of Scotland all the way through the book. The story itself starts out a little slow, but the author is laying the foundation for two stories that intersect across time in a way that makes sense. I was reminded a bit of Peter May's writing style, even though his genre is far different. Very enjoyable book. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Susanna Kearsleyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come home! The year has left you old;
Leave those grey stones; wrap close this shawl
Around you for the night is cold;
Come home! He will not hear you call;

No sign awaits you here but the beat
Of tides upon the strand,
The craig's gaunt shadow with gull's feet
Imprinted on the sand,
And spars and sea-weed strewn
Under a pale moon.

Come home! He will not hear you call;
Only the night winds answer as they fall
Along the shore,
and evermore
Only the sea-shells
On the grey stones singing,
And the white foam-bells
On the North Sea ringing.
-E.J. Pratt, "On the Shore"
It wasn't chance.

Carrie settles into the shadow of Slains Castle in Scotland, creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors, and starts to write about the Jacobite invasion of 1708. When she can no longer tell the difference between today and centuries ago, is she dealing with an ancestral memory-- a memory that might destroy her?… (more)

571 wanted5 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Landmark

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Landmark.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible