He Who Kills the Dragon by Leif GW Persson

He Who Kills the Dragon (2008)

by Leif GW Persson

Series: Evert Bäckström (2)

English (5)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Finnish (1)  All (11)
He is such a pig, but I found it hard to put the book down.
  seapetal | Feb 3, 2016 |
Disclosure: I received a review copy from the publisher.

Bäckström is a despicable, crooked cop who is racist, sexist, homophobic, and more. While the story begins and centers him, there are definitely moments of relief from his mindset. He begins the story after being transferred to a new police district and being given sobering news by the police doctor: he's in danger of dying soon from his excessive drinking and eating. The chastened Bäckström investigates what appears to be a straightforward murder of a drunken retired accountant, but soon the investigation uncovers that things are not what they seem.

I appreciated the focus on the investigation and on the many layers of hierarchy in various Swedish police forces: too much focus on the evil killer gets old for me. What also stood out was the circling back in time to see crucial events in the storyline from different characters' perspectives. There's also plenty of black humor in the story: Bäckström himself is quite ridiculous, and the jokes about corruption and police bureaucracy are quite pointed.

Only the Story of a Crime trilogy and this book have been published in the US, and I've read just one previous Persson book, Free Falling, As in a Dream, so I'm not the foremost expert. This edition coincides with the television show, but what from what I've read, the show differs quite a bit from the books: Bäckström is not entirely unredeemable, and the plots are not just adaptations of the books. I think I'll stick with the pricklier books. While I'm fairly new to the series, the characters keep appearing in Persson's books, which take a very methodical approach/ procedural approach to solving the murder that begins the book. The procedure slows down the book a bit, but all in all it's a quick read.

Highly recommended.

Other reviews appear in Crimepieces, Col's Criminal Library, and Crime Scraps.
  rkreish | Mar 13, 2015 |
Synopsis/blurb.......
In this second installment of Persson's trilogy of police procedurals featuring the "small, fat and primitive" Evert Bäckström, the grand master's most appallingly repulsive (and funniest) character is finally given his fifteen minutes of fame by way of his patented combination of laziness, luck, and an unbelievable sense of timing.
A seemingly ordinary murder puzzles Bäckström, who is struggling with strict orders from his doctor to lead a healthier life. His gut feeling proves him right: within days, his team has another murder linked to the first on their hands, and reports of alleged ties to a Securicor heist gone out of control, killing two. The nation needs a hero, and the newly appointed head of the Västerort police force Anna Holt needs somebody to kill the dragon for her. Who better to heed to the task than Evert Bäckström: self-sufficient, ostentatious, devoid of moral, Hawaii shirt-clad, and, latterly, armed?
5 from 5
I try not to give too much away when discussing books I have read and this time I will be briefer than usual.
One of my challenges this year was to get stuck into some Scandinavian crime fiction and to that end; this was my fourth Persson book. During the other three, my attention and interest has wandered at times as the author has a tendency to go off page with some of his characters and their musings. This time around Persson stays firmly on track. The result is leaner, meaner and more satisfying for this reader at least. 370-odd pages and I was done in a day and a half!
Decent storyline, decent support characters – some of whom I’m familiar with from previous books, an unforgettable lead in Backstrom and an intriguing murder case to resolve. Backstrom on his own in an empty room would be interesting and funny, when he interacts with his underlings and crosses paths with his frustrated superiors, multiply that x 100.
Probably the best Scandi Crime Fiction I have read all year.
I obtained access to this via the Net Galley website. ( )
  col2910 | Nov 5, 2013 |
Synopsis/blurb.......

5 from 5

Probably the best Scandi Crime Fiction I have read all year.

I obtained access to this via the Net Galley website.

My previous reviews on Persson’s books are as follows:
Between Summer's Longing And Winter's End
Another Time, Another Life
Linda, As In The Linda Murder ( )
  col2910 | Oct 27, 2013 |
Not Your Average Scandi Crime buster

Well you may have read many Scandinavian crime novels, dark, moody and compelling, with bodies dropping like flies all over the place, but may not read one quite like this! This is the second in the Evert Backstrom trilogy by Leif G. W. Persson, but was my introduction to the different type of hero of the hour. He is so much different if it was ever filmed I could audition for the role, as he is sometimes referred to by the author in the text as similar to the US series of NYPD Blues’ Andy Sipowicz. This brings a different style to the usual dark stuff from our northern European cousins, this has humour and the best description of Backstrom is by the publisher as repulsive, small, fat and primitive which makes it a great novel to read.

Superintendant Evert Backstrom is under instructions to start leading a healthier life style and is on this kick at the opening of the novel when a car is sent to pick him up and take him to a murder in an non descript apartment block. When he gets to the crime scene his first thought is that it is yet another pisshead murder, but first looks can be so deceptive. He is found by the Somali paperboy Septimus Akofeli who in turn later turns up dead, with no real connection to the original murder.

Evert Backstrom who starts to not only ignore his doctor’s advice and unleash himself headlong in to the investigation and at the same time consumes enough food and drink to drown a battleship. At the same time he is not liked by his superiors, but the new chief of the Western District needs Backstrom somehow to clear these murders up, even though she doubts he will.

During the course of his investigations he manages to tread all over his former mentees airport heist and murder investigation. At the same time he thinks some very un-PC about all over his colleagues and witnesses and is not afraid to sleep with a barmaid or a prostitute. At the same time he manages to get his 15 minutes of fame while annoying many of his colleagues while actually solving the murders and taking out some heavy criminal leaders. There is a wonderful twist at the end of the novel for the reveal of who the murderer was, very clever and also dotted with humour.

This is a great crime novel different from what you normally expect from the Scandinavian crime genre. It has the murders it has plenty of humour and a few twists during this procedural aspects of the book. I would highly recommend the book as it is well written, plenty of imagery and plenty to get your teeth in to. Really you should not like anything about Backstrom as he is repulsive and completely unlovable character, but you do end up liking him, somehow! ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Oct 15, 2013 |

Leif GW Perssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Puleo, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dit is een boos sprookje voor volwassen kinderen. Leif G.W. Persson
Een das met sausvlekken, een ijzeren pannendeksel en een gewone behangershamer waarvan de houten steel was afgebroken.

A seemingly ordinary murder puzzles Backstrom, who is struggling with strict orders from his doctor to lead a healthier life. His gut feeling proves him right: within days, his team has another murder linked to the first on their hands, and reports of alleged ties to a Securicor heist gone out of control, killing two.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,070,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible