At First Sight by Stephen J. Cannell

At First Sight

by Stephen J. Cannell

1208100,400 (3.35)2

Listened to NLS Talking Book version. Crazy to hear the thoughts of someone who finds a way to rationalize murder. ( )
  luvlylibrarian | Aug 10, 2011 |
This is not a fair review. I read only about half of the book and skimmed the rest. Perhaps it's a flaw in my psyche but I can not tolerate a book without a protagonist who has some redeeming qualities. Chick Best, the first person narrator of most of the novel, speaking from a cell on death row, explains as well as he can, his life as a murderer. As loathsome as he appears to be, the sad thing is that he is completely believable.
1 vote RonWelton | Dec 9, 2010 |
Stephen J. Cannell is known for his screen plays and as a B-list actor. He also churns out a steady stream of novels, and when I came across one in the bargain bin at Barnes and Noble, I decided to give one a shot.

As you might expect, nothing too deep here to make you think too much. At First Sight is a quick read, a story about an aging, failing internet mogul named Chick who gets the hots for Paige, a passing girl in a Hawaiian resort. His fantasies are dealt a blow when he discovers this object of his desire is actually married, and he's a stud. Still, he manages to worm his way into their lives, and they part after vacation ostensibly friends. Chick and his hostile, trophy wife agree to try and sell Paige's artwork on their website, the prospects for a continuing friendship are established.

When Chick is compelled to supplicate himself to a Wall Street scavenger intent on giving him fractional value for his failing company, Chick inexplicably drives to Charlotte with no particular intent in mind...and that's when things really get out of control.

A few corpses and the obligatory terror encounter, and Chick finishes his first-person chronicle shortly before his walk down the "Green Mile." At First Sight is a fast-paced beach read, don't expect more and you'll be mildly entertained. ( )
  JeffV | Jun 2, 2010 |
Interesting book, written from the view of the villain. I applaud Cannell for making fun of the rich and narcissistic. I thought the book was funny at times and then really twisted at other times. It was a very easy read; I read the whole book in an afternoon. ( )
  knitterbug1023 | May 6, 2009 |
A wildly successful man has pursued - and attained - everything in his path throughout his life. He is unable to rein in his narcissistic desires when things turn tough and, while on a lavish vacation with his otherwise-occupied wife and angry, belligerent daughter, he sees another man's "perfect" wife and plots his moves to eventually possess her. Less than a year and two murders later, it is hard to develop any kind of empathy for Charles "Chick" Best - or for the living victims of his pursuits. While I have truly enjoyed Cannell's works in the past, this one felt rather absurd and predictable. ( )
  soozif | Mar 9, 2009 |

A dot.com millionaire's obsession with a young married woman spirals homicidally out of control, leading to the destruction of everything he holds dear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible