Sun on the Water: The Brilliant Life and…

Sun on the Water: The Brilliant Life and Tragic Death of Kirsty MacColl

by Jean MacColl

Kirsty MacColl's tragic death in December 2000 robbed the music world of a great singer/songwriter but it also robbed Jean MacColl of her youngest child and in her heartfelt, loving book she tells us of her relationship with Kirsty and the anger that fuels her search for justice over Kirsty's manslaughter off the coast of Cozumel that sunny afternoon.

In her book which had me smiling then moist-eyed then angry, Jean shares memories of her exceptionally bright and inquisitive little girl who captivated all who met her. They shared a unique relationship due to the fact that because Kirsty had chronic asthma as a child she was rarely well enough to go to school so mother and daughter were rarely parted.

This is a biography where for once the subject's showbiz career is sketched in as Jean is more interested in Kirsty's life offstage with her friends & family and above all her devotion to her two sons. This is done so well that while reading of the aftermath of Kirsty's death I again felt the feeling I had when I heard the news.. that I had lost a friend.

The failure of the Cozumel and wider Mexican judiciary to conduct a proper investigation into Kirsty's death is still a shocking indictment of the corruption inherent in the system - no doubt helped along by the fact that the man who owns and was on board the speedboat that killed Kirsty is Guillermo Gonzalez Nova, one of the richest men in Mexico.

This is a book that ultimately one wishes should never have been written but for it's central core of love and pride I am glad Jean did.
  Chris_V | Jun 10, 2008 |

Singer Kirsty MacColl was killed in a hit-and-run speedboat accident in 2000. In this book, Kirsty's mother tells the story of Kirsty's life and also relates her unfinished quest to bring those responsible for the accident to justice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,825,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible