The Withdrawal Method: Stories by Pasha…

The Withdrawal Method: Stories (2008)

by Pasha Malla

Stellar inagural collection by Toronto author Malla, who possesses a finely tuned, utterly contemporary voice. The world of these stories is off-beat and unpredictable. It's a place where relationships between men and women are more likely to be strained and broken than not. The author's great strength is writing compelling narratives that flow smoothly toward conclusions that surprise and satisfy. Mostly, these stories are about men and women failing to connect. Written with humour and compassion. A fun read. ( )
  icolford | Jul 30, 2011 |
This is simply one of the best recent short story collections I've run across; Pasha Malla's voice is so assured, his technique so polished, that you have to expect he'll become a major figure of the next wave of Canadian writers.

Some of these stories, particularly "Being Like Bulls," in which Niagara Falls has dried up, rely on the magical. Some , like "Long Short Short Long," are entirely realist. Most are character-driven; some ("A Film We Made About Dads") are not. All are strong.

A very impressive collection.
2 vote ajsomerset | Aug 15, 2009 |
The naive innocence of Pasha's all too believably human characters does nothing to protect them from the inevitability of world-class sorrow. These fathers, mothers, sons and daughters don’t stand a chance in a world where rape is a game played by children, love can be shed like skin, and Niagara Falls dries up. I highly recommended “The Withdrawal Method”. ( )
1 vote HannahHolborn | Sep 17, 2008 |
"I should probably tell you," she said, swallowing coffee, "that I'm about to lose my skin."

Haunting and fresh, shot through with empathy and humour, Pasha Malla's deceptively smooth, brilliant stories grant us entry into fascinating worlds - the forbidden, complex world of children acting out half-understood fantasies of adulthood; the familiar, modern world of young couples navigating hairpin emotional turns; a near-future world where Niagara Falls has run dry; a long-past world where a frustrated chess-master unwittingly invents a sinister machine that will affect the lives of generations to come.

As in the extraordinary stories of writers such as Lorrie Moore, Haruki Murakami, George Saunders, and Barbara Gowdy, Pasha Malla offers us characters who are recognizable and situations that are familiar, and then peels back layers to reveal the strange, the wondrous, and the unexpected. The Withdrawal Method is an assured and mature first collection from one of our best young writers, one who pairs striking emotional depth with remarkable technical skill.

A volume of short tales explores the theme of empathy and is set in fantastical alternate worlds that host such phenomena as a Niagara Falls that has run dry, people who shed their skin in a single piece, and frustrated ancient chess masters who invent history-altering machines… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible