Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and…

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (2008)

by Lenore Look

Series: Alvin Ho (1)

This is the first book in a series and a chapter book for early and/or reluctant readers. I enjoyed it for what it was; a light-hearted, humorous story about a quirky kid and his adventures. It reminded me a little of Junie B Jones but I didn't think it was quite as laugh out loud funny. I appreciated that it was a book that incorporated many demographics without having to make it too deep for the target age group. Alvin is a multicultural character and one of his school friends has a disability but it's all very matter of fact and not a big deal to the story or the plot. I'm not sure there was much to the actual plot but I liked it nonetheless.

Curricular connection - I would use this in literature circles with Junie B Jones and compare them ( )
  ECrowwwley | Apr 13, 2016 |
Having taught 1st and 2nd grades, I could easily relate to Alvin Ho. I've had several "Alvins" in my classes over the years. They are afraid of everything, their shadows included, come overly prepared in Alvin's case (underprepared in some of mine), won't speak outside his home, and wants desperately to fit in. He goes so far (as does everyone else in his classroom) to DELIBERATELY get infected with chicken pox! A delightful read, and I've ordered the others for the library. ( )
  Librarian09 | Apr 7, 2016 |
This would be a great addition to any elementary school library. The series follows Alvin Ho and his allergies to anything that is unfamiliar, scary, or new. A great recommendation for beginning and reluctant readers as chapters are short and easy to read. The frequent black and white illustrations also help the reader visualize the text. I would recommend teachers keep this book handy in classrooms for SSR. Alvin Ho's Woeful Glossary at the end also helps students understand some of the Chinese nicknames he uses and helps beginning readers follow along with the text. ( )
  Tara.Haupt | Feb 26, 2016 |
This was an adorable book! I subtracted a star because I took issue with one event in the story. Spoilers from this point on - towards the end of the story, Alvin disobeys his father in a pretty big way. My issue is that when his disobedience is discovered, there are no consequences for Alvin's actions. I think that sends the wrong message to the book's young readers. Other than that, I thought it was great! ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
A lighthearted, humorous story in the vein of Ramona Quimby, Junie B. Jones, et al. Looking forward to more about Alvin...

Audio edition narrated by Everette Plen. Young Everette voices Alvin's story with the exuberance we expect of Alvin, although at times the delivery is rushed and there's no difference between Alvin's voice and his brother's. But given that Everette is obviously a kid, I give him kudos for the effort. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This book belongs to Sam Fisher, who inspired it. -L.L.
To all the little Year of the Pigs born last year, including two of my favorites: my nephew, Dylan, and, of course, my own little Leo. -L.P.
The first thing you should know about me is that my name is Alvin Ho.

ALVIN HO IS an Asian American second grader who is afraid of everything—elevators, tunnels, girls, and, most of all, school. He’s so afraid of school that, while he’s there, he never, ever, says a word. But at home he’s a very loud superhero named Firecracker Man, a brother to Calvin and Anibelly, and a gentleman-in-training, so he can be just like his dad.

From the author of the ALA Notable Ruby Lu series comes a funny and touching chapter book—perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers— that introduces a truly unforgettable character.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:22 -0400)

A young boy in Concord, Massachusetts, who loves superheroes and comes from a long line of brave Chinese farmer-warriors, wants to make friends, but first he must overcome his fear of everything.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,790,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible