Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and…

Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (2008)

by Lenore Look

Other authors: LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)

Series: Alvin Ho (1)

This is a delightful and thought provoking book on life's challenges when you are in the second grade. Don't think Alvin's problems are just for the young, though - he seems to think hardest about those challenges we carry until we are old and gray. Alvin's point of view is honest and, at times, very funny. The illustrations throughout the book only add to the humor.

600L ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
Third graders loved this book! Poor Alvin Ho is afraid of many things: girls, school, heights, the dark, scary movies and so much more. He has a big problem...he can't talk at school, no one knows why. He brings his PDK (personal disaster kit) everywhere with him. In his effort to fit in, he trades his brother's best baseball cards to the school bully. He learns about what being a real friend and yes--a gentleman mean when he needs to choose between the bully and Flea, a peg-legged and eye-patched girl down the street. All students, including reluctant readers, enjoyed this book and will enjoy more in this six book series. The chapters are short and quick reads. I highly recommend it. ( )
  RLeiphart | Feb 5, 2017 |
Alvin Ho: Allergic to girls, school, and other scary things is they story of how Alvin tries to over come the extreme inconveniences of his anxiety. It is a funny book, but also a good depiction of a young boy trying to navigate his way through the learning experiences of being a kid, a time when school, family, and friends are a huge part of your life. Any children who have ever dealt with anxiety will be able to relate to Alvin. Because Alvin Ho is in 2nd grade in the book I think this would be an amazing book to read to 2nd graders because they will relate to Alvin more than they think or they will have a friend that comes to mind who struggles with the same problems as Alvin throughout the book. ( )
  JacquelineWelsh | Feb 5, 2017 |
This book would be very relatable for kids in elementary school. It is about an asian american boy who is scared of everything in school but at home he is a superhero that comes out of his shell! Kids could read this and relate to the same things that he is scared about and can talk about it. It also is very funny and keeps students laughing! ( )
  celinebrazeal | Nov 8, 2016 |
This is the first book in a series and a chapter book for early and/or reluctant readers. I enjoyed it for what it was; a light-hearted, humorous story about a quirky kid and his adventures. It reminded me a little of Junie B Jones but I didn't think it was quite as laugh out loud funny. I appreciated that it was a book that incorporated many demographics without having to make it too deep for the target age group. Alvin is a multicultural character and one of his school friends has a disability but it's all very matter of fact and not a big deal to the story or the plot. I'm not sure there was much to the actual plot but I liked it nonetheless.

Curricular connection - I would use this in literature circles with Junie B Jones and compare them ( )
  ECrowwwley | Apr 13, 2016 |

Lenore Lookprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pham, LeUyenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This book belongs to Sam Fisher, who inspired it. -L.L.
To all the little Year of the Pigs born last year, including two of my favorites: my nephew, Dylan, and, of course, my own little Leo. -L.P.
The first thing you should know about me is that my name is Alvin Ho.

ALVIN HO IS an Asian American second grader who is afraid of everything—elevators, tunnels, girls, and, most of all, school. He’s so afraid of school that, while he’s there, he never, ever, says a word. But at home he’s a very loud superhero named Firecracker Man, a brother to Calvin and Anibelly, and a gentleman-in-training, so he can be just like his dad.

From the author of the ALA Notable Ruby Lu series comes a funny and touching chapter book—perfect for both beginning and reluctant readers— that introduces a truly unforgettable character.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:22 -0400)

A young boy in Concord, Massachusetts, who loves superheroes and comes from a long line of brave Chinese farmer-warriors, wants to make friends, but first he must overcome his fear of everything.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible