Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying…

Why We Suck: A Feel Good Guide to Staying Fat, Loud, Lazy and Stupid (2008)

by Dr. Denis Leary

I have never, ever been a fan of Denis Leary. Ever. But I saw him talking about this book on the Daily Show and decided to give it a try. To my surprise, it wasn't bad.
I didn't really learn anything and wouldn't read it again, but still, not a bad book. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
funny quick read ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
funny quick read ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
I laughed. A lot. and then i laughed uncomfortably when he mocked things I do, not just other people. I love that he's an equal opportunity mocker. No one is sacred! ( )
  mainerk8 | Feb 14, 2015 |
Very irreverent, very funny, non-PC, but does not leave you with a whole lot. Inconsistencies at some points can drive you crazy. On the one hand, there's a prolonged tirade on how horrible kids are, including making fun of parents who think their kids are special. On the other hand, an ode to helicopter moms and a demand that a mother has to stay home. One minute he mercilessly makes fun of women, the next he sounds so whipped it makes me want to barf (oh and don't forget the irony-free all-out Oprah infomercial). O-kay, whatever, I get that he's a comic, but damn, man, make up your mind! There are some truly hilarious moments- "mom's recipes" part was my hands down favorite; that alone is worth picking up the book. But, in the end, the book as a whole is too uneven to rise up to the level of my favorite humor writers like P.J. O'Rourke or even Dave Barry. ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
"Just remember, kid - it's all bullshit."

- Robert Mitchum, whispering into Nick Nolte's ear at the Academy Awards

'A pissed off Leary is the best Leary', says one critic of the writer and comic. In "Why We Suck", Dr Denis Leary uses his common sense, and his biting and hilarious take on the world, to attack the politically correct, the hypocritical, the obese, the thin - basically everyone who takes themselves too seriously. In "Why We Suck", Leary's famously smart style and sardonic wit have found their fullest and fiercest expression yet. Zeroing in on the ridiculous wherever he finds it, Leary unravels his Irish Catholic upbringing, the folly of celebrity, the pressures of family life, and the great hypocrisy of politics. Proudly Irish American, defiantly working class, with a reserve of compassion for the underdog and the overlooked, Leary delivers blistering diatribes that are penetrating social commentary with no holds barred. Leary's book will find wide appeal among people who want to laugh out loud or find a guide who matches their view of what's wrong in America and the world-at-large.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:47 -0400)

The four-time Emmy-nominated comic satirist of Rescue Me presents irreverent cultural observations about how society is taking itself too seriously, in an account that shares anecdotes from his Irish-Catholic upbringing, high-pressure family life, and work as a performing artist.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible