Purge by Sofi Oksanen

Purge (2008)

by Sofi Oksanen

Series: Quartet (2)

1,261976,273 (3.96)96
    Stalinin lehmät by Sofi Oksanen (2810michael)
    Kätilö by Katja Kettu (interference)
    interference: Another northern country, another tragic love. Though a story how war and occupation affects the life of a strong woman.
    Baltische zielen lotgevallen in Estland, Letland en Litouwen by Jan Brokken (marieke54)

English (49)  Finnish (10)  Spanish (8)  French (7)  Swedish (7)  German (5)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Galician (1)  Lithuanian (1)  All (97)
This was my first purchase made for this year's reading goals. I don't remember how it caught my eye that it was translated, in the used section of my local bookstore, or why I felt compelled to buy it even though it's suspense, and suspense isn't typically my genre. It wasn't until after I got it home that I noticed it was blurbed by bookslut.

While this book, set in Estonia, is shaped by political events spanning multiple changes of regime, it is a story of much more personal suspense. As many have noted, Purge is the perfect title for this slowly unravelling story. Through flashbacks, two narrators, and intertwining storylines, we see purge after purge on a variety of scales. How communities purge themselves of oppressors thrown off during a regime change, and how that slowly trickles down to punishing anyone who did better under the old regime than you, how people thus punished try to purge themselves, their homes, their relationships of anything that might cause suspicion, how some, purged of their homeland, are also purged of their voices, and the hollow lives that go on around such absences.

There is horror in this book, around the way such upheavals affect the lives of women. When stripped of our community, our humanity, a woman's body is just another thing to be punished, to be bought and sold. To be purged.

Chilling. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Chilling. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 1, 2017 |
With a title like "Purge," I expected the book to end with some big emotional catharsis. Instead, it just ends, and you're left to wonder how the two main characters dealt with the turn of events. I don't expect everything to have a happy ending, but this doesn't even feel like it has an ending. The characters tiptoe around the main topic for most of the book, and then instead of showing you how they behave when everything comes out into the light of day, the author just says, basically, "And then Zara left." Disappointing to say the least. ( )
  Lindoula | Sep 25, 2017 |
I read this on the recommendation of my local bookshop when I was going to spend a long weekend in Estonia. It's a gripping read, but I did get slightly confused by it all by the end and felt that it kind of petered out. However it was really great to bring to life the 20th century history of Estonia whilst i was there. I visited the Museum of the Occupations and KGB museum and other places connected to the Soviet presence in Estonia, but reading this book alongside gave it a narrative and made it all easier to place in context. So, a good read anyway but definitely recommended if you're planning to visit Estonia. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Nov 27, 2016 |
2.5 stars

I don't remember when I've hated the main character as much as Aliide! And I don't think we need 3-4 pages to read about killing a fly. I can't say what exactly annoyed me about the writing but I just wasn't fan of it.

It started really slow and I almost fell asleep but it got better. I don't think I would have been this disappointed if it wasn't so overhyped. ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
”Utrensning” är en helt igenom mörk roman, men med en konstnärlig lyskraft som förbluffar.
added by Jannes | editDn, Jonas Thente (Feb 2, 2010)

added by annek49 | editSvD, Elise Karlsson (Jan 29, 2010)

added by annek49 | editNRK, Marta Norheim (Jan 28, 2010)

added by annek49 | editDagsavisen, Turid Larsen (Jan 27, 2010)

Renselse er rystende, uafrystelig og vanvittigt god. Men den tager tid at komme sig over. Hvis man overhovedet kan.
added by 2810michael | editBerlingske Tidende

Oksanen, Sofiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Orlov, JaninaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rainò, NicolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rogers, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The walls have ears, and the ears have beautiful earrings.

- Paul-Eerik Rummo
MAY 1949

Free Estonia!

I have to try to write a few words to keep some sense in my head and not let my mind break down.
Please do not combine the novel and theatrical/play versions of Puhdistus/Puhastus/Purge/Utrenskning/Zuivering. These are separate and distinct works.
The Estonian radio play edition of Puhastus is a radio version of the Estonian translation of the theatrical drama edition of Puhdistus. It was broadcast on Estonian Classical Radio from August 8 to 12, 2011. This should not be combined with the print editions of the novel Puhastus/Purge/Puhdistus. Thank You.

An international sensation, Sofi Oksanen’s award-winning novel Purge is a breathtakingly suspenseful tale of two women dogged by their own shameful pasts and the dark, unspoken history that binds them.

When Aliide Truu, an older woman living alone in the Estonian countryside, finds a disheveled girl huddled in her front yard, she suppresses her misgivings and offers her shelter. Zara is a young sex-trafficking victim on the run from her captors, but a photo she carries with her soon makes it clear that her arrival at Aliide’s home is no coincidence. Survivors both, Aliide and Zara engage in a complex arithmetic of suspicion and revelation to distill each other’s motives; gradually, their stories emerge, the culmination of a tragic family drama of rivalry, lust, and loss that played out during the worst years of Estonia’s Soviet occupation.

Sofi Oksanen establishes herself as one the most important voices of her generation with this intricately woven tale, whose stakes are almost unbearably high from the first page to the last. Purge is a fiercely compelling and damning novel about the corrosive effects of shame, and of life in a time and place where to survive is to be implicated.

Aliide Truu, an older woman guilty of crimes during the Soviet occupation of Estonia, takes in a young woman, Zara, who is trying to escape a sex-trafficking ring, and as they work through their suspicion, the two rediscover a tragic family history from the past.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible