The Tempest by William Shakespeare

The Tempest

by William Shakespeare

7,743110434 (3.91)2 / 333
    Forbidden Planet by W. J. Stuart (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Tempest in outer space.
    Ariel by Grace Tiffany (gabeblaze)
    gabeblaze: Ariel is the story of the tempest from the knavish sprite Ariel's point of view, the story is basically the same as the classic The Tempest, with some exceptions.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    The Collector by John Fowles (Booksloth)
    The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia in F minor by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A musical spin-off worth reading/hearing. If you can, read the score. If you can't, check any of the available recordings (Abbado, Fistoulari, Pletnev, Jarvi, Litton, Stokowski, Toscanini).
    Metamorphoses by Ovid (cloverofdover)
    The Sea and the Mirror by W. H. Auden (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A literary spin-off that surpasses the original. A rare case indeed! What Will started 400 years ago, Wystan finished in the last century: he turned the cardboard stereotypes into real characters.
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Iris Murdoch schreibt Anthony D. Nuttal: "But this book is really much more Shakespearen than it is Dickensian, The Tempest, which will figure so prominently in The Sea, The Sea, is powerfully though less obtrusively operative in this earlier book."… (more)
    The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

English (107)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (110)
Read during Fall 2001
  amyem58 | Jul 11, 2014 |
I've listened to several audio productions of Shakespeare's plays in the last year, and I finally hit one that I've never read. Like Hamlet, The Tempest opens with a ruler who has been supplanted by his brother. However, The Tempest is a comedy where Hamlet is a tragedy. Prospero used to be the Duke of Milan, but his brother usurped his power and sent him away. Prospero and his daughter, Miranda, have lived on a deserted island for twelve years, which Prospero has spent studying magic. With the help of the spirit Ariel, Prospero causes a ship carrying his brother Antonio, the King of Naples (Alonso) and his son Ferdinand, and several others to wreck near the island. He separates the castaways, isolating Ferdinand from the others. Ferdinand and 15-year-old Miranda fall in love at first sight. All the wrongdoers repent, all is forgiven, and they all sail off into the sunset.

Even though I had never read The Tempest before, I caught several familiar phrases in the text, such as “strange bedfellows”, “stuff as dreams are made on”, “brave new world”, and “this rough magic”. It's a pleasant diversion, although I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't unusual for 15-year-old girls to marry in Shakespeare's day. The BBC Radio production is well done except for the musical sound effects, which often sounded like they were using a musical saw. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Jun 25, 2014 |
His weakest work. ( )
  potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
A strange but moving work, performed here by a wonderful set of players. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
This is a genuinely good work of drama, which I had to read for my Intro. to Drama class. This is one of those works of Shakespeare that has been done in a multitude of forms and variations, so it is quite likely that everyone has a rough idea of the story. Still, you really cannot replace the original. It's a bit odd, but quite good fun as well. As to the edition itself, I found it to be greatly helpful in understanding the action in the play. It has a layout which places each page of the play opposite a page of notes, definitions, explanations, and other things needed to understand that page more thoroughly. While I didn't always need it, I was certainly glad to have it whenever I ran into a turn of language that was unfamiliar, and I definitely appreciated the scene-by-scene summaries. Really, if you want to or need to read Shakespeare, an edition such as this is really the way to go, especially until you get more accustomed to it. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 27, 2013 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Boatswain!
I would fain die a dry death.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Knowing I lov'd my books, he furnish'd me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.
The fringed curtains of thine eye advance.
This work is for the COMPLETE "The Tempest" ONLY. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays or with combinations of plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482832, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Barbara A. Mowat

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:20 -0400)

Presents Shakespeare's play about a shipwrecked Duke who learns to command the spirits.

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451527127, 0140714855, 0141016647

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,979,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible