The Tempest by William Shakespeare

The Tempest (1610)

by William Shakespeare

9,604138301 (3.92)2 / 482
    Forbidden Planet by W. J. Stuart (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Tempest in outer space.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Ariel by Grace Tiffany (gabeblaze)
    gabeblaze: Ariel is the story of the tempest from the knavish sprite Ariel's point of view, the story is basically the same as the classic The Tempest, with some exceptions.
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia in F minor by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A musical spin-off worth reading/hearing. If you can, read the score. If you can't, check any of the available recordings (Abbado, Fistoulari, Pletnev, Jarvi, Litton, Stokowski, Toscanini).
    The Collector by John Fowles (Booksloth)
    The Sea and the Mirror by W. H. Auden (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A literary spin-off that surpasses the original. A rare case indeed! What Will started 400 years ago, Wystan finished in the last century: he turned the cardboard stereotypes into real characters.
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Iris Murdoch schreibt Anthony D. Nuttal: "But this book is really much more Shakespearen than it is Dickensian, The Tempest, which will figure so prominently in The Sea, The Sea, is powerfully though less obtrusively operative in this earlier book."… (more)
    The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

English (133)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All (138)
Well... it won't be my favorite Shakespearean play, but I thought I should read it before I read Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Dramatized audio recordings of are difficult for to listen to because there are so many minor characters. This one was a bit more manageable. ( )
  neverstopreading | Mar 13, 2018 |
Even a genius is allowed to be average once in a while. Reportedly the last play Shakespeare wrote on his own, I can't help but wonder if he mailed it in on this. Maybe he needed the money? Maybe he was fulfilling a contract for one more play, much like Hitchcock did with the abhorrent movie Jamacia Inn, his last British production before moving to Hollywood. Whatever the case, The Tempest was neither romantic enough to make me fall in love, tragic enough to make me sad or funny enough to make me laugh. But, it is Shakespheare so even his meh efforts are better than most, but still. Not up to his standards.

I read along with the text while I listened to the audio version, a practice I highly recommend. I wish I could have done that in high school. I'll definitely suggest immersion reading to my children as they enter high school and discover Shakespeare.

MelissaLenhardt | Mar 11, 2018 |
Review: The Tempest by William Shakespeare. 4 Stars 12/11/2017

The Tempest is a Play written with comedy, dated about 1610 and accepted as the last play written exclusively by William Shakespeare even though some scholars have disputed for an earlier date. The setting is on a remote Island, where Prospero, the Duke of Milan and his daughter Miranda were placed on a rough riff-raft of a ship and left to the torrents of the sea. However, they were lucky to be alive when they arrived safely on an enchanted island where they were stranded for twelve years. Prospero also brought his faithful spirit, Ariel and his half-human slave, Caliban to the Island with them. His intent was to bring his daughter to her rightful place, by using deception and skillful manipulation before his enemies sent them on their way.

Prospero is still in control and has waited for this moment when he implores a sudden tempest to lure his conniving brother Antonio and the scheming Alonso, King of Naples to the island. There Prospero maneuvers will expose the deviousness of Antonio’s low nature, the improvement of Alonso, and the marriage of his daughter Miranda to Alonso’s son, Ferdinand. Aided by supernatural powers, Prospero provides justice while supervising the growing attraction between Miranda and the substantial son of one of his enemies.

Comedy, romance, and reconciliation follows, in a skilled drama, that begins with a storm at sea and concludes in joyous harmony. The one character, Caliban was worth more than to be left alone on the Island, I felt empathy for him. Prospero has always treated him as a slave and that’s all he knew. Prospero’s character is driven by knowledge, and in his exile he strived for leadership and his daughter, Miranda finds her happiness so they are both taken care of. However, Caliban is left alone on the island but his story never has any closer. While on the island Caliban mistook a pair of idiots for Gods, and becomes more bitter and twisted. After faithfully serving for Prospero he should have had some mention about his bravery.

There was plenty of quotes and notes of information to keep the reader in a thought provoking situation. The events, scenes, and action took place on the Island so there was plenty to decipher and most readers have different points of view and imagery. It was a slow read but I enjoyed Shakespeare’s style of writing. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 24, 2018 |
Not one of the Bard's best. ( )
  Scott_Hercher | Nov 25, 2017 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Boatswain!
I would fain die a dry death.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Knowing I lov'd my books, he furnish'd me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.
The fringed curtains of thine eye advance.
This work is for the complete The Tempest only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482832, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Barbara A. Mowat

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Presents Shakespeare's play about a shipwrecked Duke who learns to command the spirits.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451527127, 0140714855, 0141016647

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,444,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible