The Tempest by William Shakespeare

The Tempest

by William Shakespeare

8,906131338 (3.91)2 / 457
    Forbidden Planet by W. J. Stuart (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: The Tempest in outer space.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Sylak)
    Sylak: Caliban in The Tempest has many parallels with John the Savage in Brave New World.
    Ariel by Grace Tiffany (gabeblaze)
    gabeblaze: Ariel is the story of the tempest from the knavish sprite Ariel's point of view, the story is basically the same as the classic The Tempest, with some exceptions.
    Mama Day by Gloria Naylor (susanbooks)
    The Tempest, Symphonic Fantasia in F minor by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A musical spin-off worth reading/hearing. If you can, read the score. If you can't, check any of the available recordings (Abbado, Fistoulari, Pletnev, Jarvi, Litton, Stokowski, Toscanini).
    The Collector by John Fowles (Booksloth)
    The Sea and the Mirror by W. H. Auden (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: A literary spin-off that surpasses the original. A rare case indeed! What Will started 400 years ago, Wystan finished in the last century: he turned the cardboard stereotypes into real characters.
    An Unofficial Rose by Iris Murdoch (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: In der Einleitung zu "an unofficial rose" von Iris Murdoch schreibt Anthony D. Nuttal: "But this book is really much more Shakespearen than it is Dickensian, The Tempest, which will figure so prominently in The Sea, The Sea, is powerfully though less obtrusively operative in this earlier book."… (more)
    The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer (sturlington)
    sturlington: The Dream of Perpetual Motion is a steampunk retelling of The Tempest

English (127)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (131)
Given the influence of Montaigne on this play, and given that I willingly choose to fall into the bias that Shakespeare is too cool a dude to do anything wrong even according the standards of our time (which, let's face it, everyone from every time likes to think), I will state my faith in Shakespeare's sympathy with the colonized and not the colonizer while simultaneously (and intentionally) making it a complicated issue of being unable to fully take sides in any issue that involves human beings. Also I am ridiculously excited for the upcoming film. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Most of my experience with Shakespeare has been through his tragedies, which I read in high school many, many moons ago, so I found this one to be refreshing to read because it doesn’t end with everyone dying miserably
This one has all of Shakespeare’s typical elements, spirits, revenge, a man and woman see each other once and fall madly in love, and someone plots to kill someone else so they can have all the power. But, despite the similarities that I’ve read in his other works, I did enjoy this one. The story had something different to it, the characters were amusing at times, and the addition of the magical realism elements woven into the story was also enjoyable.

I did find that certain parts were hard to trudge through, but that happens with Shakespeare when his characters ramble on about their woes or whatever seems to be ailing them.

Overall, I enjoyed the book – which I read so I can read Margaret Atwood’s retelling, Hag-Seed.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Tempest ( )
  bookwormjules | Jan 15, 2017 |
Amazingg.. It has the ability to enchant every reader through its imagination. The part that I liked less is how (most probably unwittingly I suppose) did Shakespeare show how did Colonisation worked and the attitude of the colonised towards the coloniser. Overall, it gave me a feel of an old tale finishing up. All the negative characters were simply puppets in the hands of Prospers and it was in the understanding of the endurance that we were able to enjoy the present conquests of Prospero. Overall, a wonderful read. ( )
  pjulian | Jan 4, 2017 |
Published 1998.

On this re-reading I noticed that the word "brave" was used a few times in the movies that I watched (Taymor, 2010 & Jarman 1979).

I like this word. It generates a very good feeling in my heart. This word often makes me think of someone who has a quality to face something difficult with the strength of heart / mind / body... Does not take me much to feel a respect and admiration for this person...

I also come to know that the word "brave" describes something wonderful, admirable in appearance...

And I just got curious to see how often the word "brave" was used in "The Tempest". And I started reading the play to look for the word "brave" and "bravely", and every time I found one of these words, I put a post-it note to the page to keep track of it... No, I did not use any fancy software to sort out the words or count the words... The work was done manually... Though I tried to be as faithful and accurate as possible, there might be a few occasions that I missed finding these words...

It looks like there are 11 occasions that the words "Brave" or "Bravely" were mentioned...

The rest of this review can be found elsewhere. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
As part of the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, I needed to read a play and what better play to read than “The Tempest” having recently read and adored Margaret Atwood’s retelling in “Hag-Seed.” I have an even greater appreciation of “Hag-Seed” having read the original again. It had been more than twenty years since I’ve read Shakespeare. I found it simultaneously difficult to navigate the Old English and thematically extremely relevant to modern day. There is so much complexity within this brief play, that it is no wonder that people study Shakespeare to such lengths!

This play takes place on an Island where the magician, Prospero, and his daughter Miranda have been living the last 12 years, since Prospero’s exile from his position as Duke of Milan. The only other person on the Island during this time is Calaban, son of the evil witch, Sycorax, who used to live there as well. Ariel is a fairy who does the bidding of Prospero. Calaban is also enslaved to Prospero, having attempted to rape Miranda. Prospero creates a tempest which bring his enemies by shipwreck to his Island. He scatters them across the Island such that Ferdinand the King’s son is separated from all others and will encounter Miranda, both falling in love with each other under Ariel’s spell. Gonzalo, Alonso, Antonio, and Sebastian are landed together. During their time on the Island, Antonio and Sebastian plot against the king’s (Alonso’s) life, assuming that Ferdinand has perished. Caliban, Trinculo and Stephano develop an alliance that intends to murder Prospero, so that they can take over the island. Finally, all come together. Prospero, with urging from Ariel, forgives all and all is calm. Prospero, a thinly disguised Shakespeare, asks for applause to end his imprisonment.

There is much duality of humanity and the world represented within this play. Themes of good versus evil, magical vs earthly, land versus sea, honest versus dishonest, free versus imprisoned, sober versus drunk pervade this play. I loved the infusion of music, poetry and magic within this play. There is obvious brilliance to the themes and the structure of the play. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and found many unique characteristics setting it apart from some of Shakespeare’s other works that I’ve read. ( )
  marieatbookchatter | Nov 17, 2016 |

Is parodied in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Boatswain!
I would fain die a dry death.
Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground.
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Knowing I lov'd my books, he furnish'd me
From mine own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom.
The fringed curtains of thine eye advance.
This work is for the COMPLETE "The Tempest" ONLY. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or "simplifications" (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743482832, Mass Market Paperback)

Each edition includes:

• Freshly edited text based on the best early printed version of the play

• Full explanatory notes conveniently placed on pages facing the text of the play

• Scene-by-scene plot summaries

• A key to famous lines and phrases

• An introduction to reading Shakespeare's language

• An essay by an outstanding scholar providing a modern perspective on the play

• Illustrations from the Folger Shakespeare Library's vast holdings of rare books

Essay by Barbara A. Mowat

The Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington, D.C., is home to the world's largest collection of Shakespeare's printed works, and a magnet for Shakespeare scholars from around the globe. In addition to exhibitions open to the public throughout the year, the Folger offers a full calendar of performances and programs. For more information, visit www.folger.edu.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Presents Shakespeare's play about a shipwrecked Duke who learns to command the spirits.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451527127, 0140714855, 0141016647

Ediciones Encuentro

An edition of this book was published by Ediciones Encuentro.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,839,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible