Beauty and the Beast by Gabrielle-Suzanne…
6E (1) azul (1) children (1) conte (1) contes (1) HO5.3 (1) literature (1) to-read (2)

"A tale as old as time" - the line was NOT in this book! And I don't know if this "tale is as old as time" anyways. =)

I'm not a princess fan, let alone a Disney Princess fan. Not that I have anything against Princesses or Disney, I enjoy the stories and have seen the films at least once but they're not my favorites nor do I know the stories well nor did I ever fancy being a Disney Princess. However, I recently went and saw the Beauty and the Beast play and before attending the play, I watched the Disney movie and read the abridged version by Madame Leprince de Beaumont, but wanted to read the original to better understand the story and so I order this book from Amazon.

It's different from the Disney version and Madame Beaumont's version is very, very abridged. I there are plenty of moral values to the story (i.e. "never judge a book by its cover", poverty doesn't make someone less worthy, etc.) and it was an interesting read, but I felt like the character development was lacking. I mean this book was 130 pages or so long and yet, there was hardly any character development. I find myself not liking or relating to any of the characters anymore than when I first saw them in the Disney movie. I guess I was expecting something a bit more developed from the abridged version and it didn't really offer much but back story fluff. And it's not that I did not like it, because I did (I did give it 3 stars) but I did not love it.

I don't know if it was worth the purchase, but maybe one day it'll be a book I can pass down to my future daughter(s) or my nieces. On a brighter note, I did love the play! But I love plays in general so it's fairly easy to please me on that front and I can't wait to see the "live" movie when it comes out in 2017! ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
Haven't began to read this one just yet, but let's just say that this is one of the many reasons I am very thankful of being perfectly bilingual. For those who do not know, this is the 'original' Beauty and the Beast, so you guessed it, I chose to read it in the very language it was written in. Though, like many other fairy tales, we can not be certain that this is most definitely THE first of it's kind; after the Disney movie remake this is the most popular version out there.
  EmaNoella | Jan 2, 2011 |
This is for the version written by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve, who is considered the original author of Beauty and the Beast (La Belle et la Bête). Do not merge this with any other versions of the story.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,934,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible